Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

Default Santa help: buying a vice and a drill press

On 12/12/2015 10:58 PM, Rex wrote:
[snip]

You might keep your eye out for one of the older Craftsman 15" drill presses, made in the 1970s. They have a thin belt and will run up to 8500 RPM. Very stout. I bought one last week for $50. It will look new in a few days, and I'll have $100 in it. Very stout, well made, non-import. Ball-bearing spindle. models 113-24580 (bench) and 113-24590 (floor model).
Also model 113-21371 is almost identical, earlier model.

I've had a couple of those drill presses. They are fine for light work. Changing
speed is a snap. They are worthless for anything needing high torque.
Try before you buy. :-)