Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Santa help: buying a vice and a drill press

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:10:32 +0000 (UTC)
David Lesher wrote:

snip
I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

Be careful trying to avoid HF. A lot of the more expensive stuff from
elsewhere is essentially the same item. HF has a comment/review section
for each item. If a product sucks, has some sort of deficiency users
will point it out. Sometimes I'll still buy it with the idea of fixing
whatever flaw has been noted.

All that being said my favorite vice (and my Dad's) are the 5 inch
Multipurpose like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-...ise-67415.html

I have a couple of them and they have worked well, but... they were
purchased many years ago. So what they sell today may look the same but
may not be equal if you know what I mean. Other places sell these too
now so look around...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b