Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default communication problem

windows XP
single serial port 9 pin
2nd gen controller
cable straight thru pin for pin
loopback checked cable all good
checked port at all speeds from 4800bits per all the way past 115200
set up on second pc laptop compaq 9pin

same issues
i have run thru the troub;eshoot docs completely.

one item
C:\program\deskCNC
i have no .ini file

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...em-619303-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not sure what you're trying to do, but for devices to talk to eachother
pins 2 & 3 need to "crossover" like this.

Device #1 Device #2
Connector #1 connector #2

pin #2 (transmit) ------------------------------- pin #3 (recieve)
pin #3 (recieve) -------------------------------- pin #2 (transmit)

Staight cables (what you have) are sometimes used in special cases -
like flashing EPROMs.

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 02:18:02 +0000, Dcap wrote:

windows XP
single serial port 9 pin
2nd gen controller
cable straight thru pin for pin
loopback checked cable all good
checked port at all speeds from 4800bits per all the way past 115200
set up on second pc laptop compaq 9pin

same issues
i have run thru the troub;eshoot docs completely.

one item
C:\program\deskCNC
i have no .ini file

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/08/15 15:13, Bill wrote:
Not sure what you're trying to do, but for devices to talk to eachother
pins 2 & 3 need to "crossover" like this.

Device #1 Device #2
Connector #1 connector #2

pin #2 (transmit) ------------------------------- pin #3 (recieve)
pin #3 (recieve) -------------------------------- pin #2 (transmit)

Staight cables (what you have) are sometimes used in special cases -
like flashing EPROMs.

Not always the case, I spent 20 years in software and did RS232 stuff
many many times and it all depends on how the maker wired their kit and
whether they considered it DCE or DTE and what is at either end. RS232
comms probably causes more problems than anything I can think of. I've
needed straight through on some applications, null modem?, and crossed
on others, then of course if handshaking is added into the mix other
signals may need to be added or pulled to an appropriate state to
satisfy flow control.

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 02:18:02 +0000, Dcap wrote:

windows XP
single serial port 9 pin
2nd gen controller
cable straight thru pin for pin
loopback checked cable all good
checked port at all speeds from 4800bits per all the way past 115200
set up on second pc laptop compaq 9pin

same issues
i have run thru the troub;eshoot docs completely.

one item
C:\program\deskCNC
i have no .ini file

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 2:33:20 PM UTC-4, David Billington wrote:
On 08/08/15 15:13, Bill wrote:
[...]

But again, without knowing what the OP is trying to connect to what, there's no way to know how the cable should be pinned.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to David Billington , Dcap wrote:
djb wrote:

Not always the case, I spent 20 years in software and did RS232 stuff
many many times and it all depends on how the maker wired their kit and
whether they considered it DCE or DTE and what is at either end. RS232
comms probably causes more problems than anything I can think of. I've
needed straight through on some applications, null modem?, and crossed
on others, then of course if handshaking is added into the mix other
signals may need to be added or pulled to an appropriate state to
satisfy flow control.

Hello djb, I am trying to get my software DeskCNC to communicate with a
second generation controller for my cnc refit.
I am a EE and have tried all i can think of trying a third computer setup
presently.
I was aware of the DCE and DTE differences even thru a 2 to 3 flip block
in during testing.
i am not sure if the software is getting to the port, i do have adjustment
for he port number in the ini file but that has no
guarantee function.
im about to sell all this hardware and license on eBay and give someone
else my money.

Thanks for your input

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...em-619303-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dcap" wrote in
message roups.com...
djb wrote:

[...]

I'd insert a breakout box and watch the rxd and txd lines with a scope
while trying to ping the controller with Hyperterm.

What does the controller expect for baud rate, parity, stop bits etc?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:mq60ji$50s$1
@dont-email.me:

What does the controller expect for baud rate, parity, stop bits etc?

AND DTE/DCE control signals and/or their 'strapping'.

It's JUST RS-232. If you can't make the controller respond, the first
thing to do is put a terminal on the output of the computer, and see if
it's sending anything...

And if you don't have a terminal or another computer to use as one (with a
simple term like Hyperterm), then try a 'loopback test'.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 7:18:03 PM UTC-7, Dcap wrote:
windows XP
single serial port 9 pin

Well, that's probably an EIA232 port, of the IBM 9-pin flavor.
But the other end could be RS-422 (Macintosh style serial port), or RS-485,
or have almost any pinout. So, have you looked at its quiescent voltages
with a voltmeter? EIA232 input pins float around ground, and output pins
are (+) when inactive. The data output pin on your 9-pin port on the
computer is undoubtedly IBM-style wiring, TXD- is on pin 3.

If the controller has the same wiring as the computer, its pin 3 will have
the same quiescent voltage signature, and a straight-through cable won't work.
Null-modem cable is required.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

windows XP
single serial port 9 pin
2nd gen controller
cable straight thru pin for pin
loopback checked cable all good
checked port at all speeds from 4800bits per all the way past 115200
set up on second pc laptop compaq 9pin

same issues
i have run thru the troub;eshoot docs completely.

one item
C:\program\deskCNC
i have no .ini file

Reverse 2 and 3 on one end

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m wrote:

windows XP
single serial port 9 pin
2nd gen controller
cable straight thru pin for pin
loopback checked cable all good
checked port at all speeds from 4800bits per all the way past 115200
set up on second pc laptop compaq 9pin

same issues
i have run thru the troub;eshoot docs completely.

one item
C:\program\deskCNC
i have no .ini file

Reverse 2 and 3 on one end

Null modem?
http://soltechenergies.net/wp-admin/...t-rj45-807.jpg

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

om wrote:

windows XP
single serial port 9 pin
2nd gen controller
cable straight thru pin for pin
loopback checked cable all good
checked port at all speeds from 4800bits per all the way past 115200
set up on second pc laptop compaq 9pin

same issues
i have run thru the troub;eshoot docs completely.

one item
C:\program\deskCNC
i have no .ini file

Reverse 2 and 3 on one end

Null modem?
http://soltechenergies.net/wp-admin/...t-rj45-807.jpg

Sounds like it. Gonna need ack/nack probably, but 2/3 definately arent
straight through.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a double ended USB cable with a module in the middle.

You plug it into the old computer and plug it into the new.
If the two accounts are the same name, it copies everything like
the old computer. New is ready to go like the old one.

I got it on Amazon as I recall.

Martin

On 8/8/2015 1:33 PM, David Billington wrote:
On 08/08/15 15:13, Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is a Easy Transfer Cable by Easy Computer Sync
For Win 7, and later / vista/ xp.

Supports Window "Easy Transfer". No drivers needed.
USB 2 to USB 2 Or a 3

Martin

On 08/08/15 15:13, Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:10:06 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

It is a Easy Transfer Cable by Easy Computer Sync
For Win 7, and later / vista/ xp.

Supports Window "Easy Transfer". No drivers needed.
USB 2 to USB 2 Or a 3

Martin

On 8/9/2015 9:12 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
I have a double ended USB cable with a module in the middle.

You plug it into the old computer and plug it into the new.
If the two accounts are the same name, it copies everything like
the old computer. New is ready to go like the old one.

I got it on Amazon as I recall.

If your computers are on a LAN You can use this freeby to do about
anything you want with minimum hassle

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The cable I mentioned transfers your 'old' account to your new computer.
e.g. your email and everything. Doesn't transfer everything but gets
you working on that end. Use the same username on both computers for it
to work.

The LAN software is for small companies and common files for meetings...

Martin