Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Communication problem?

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they would
talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:06:09 +0000
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they
would talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

But the Wickes one is out of stock.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:06:09 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they would
talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

The second one isn't to EN131, but how does a dynamic load of 117kg compare
to a static load of 150kg? I'm about 88kg 'working weight', so plenty of
leeway - how about you TMH? ;-)

Not sure what makes the Youngmans equivalent 'worth' so much more.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they
would talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

But the Wickes one is out of stock.

Not in my local Wickes - they had a huge pile of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2014 09:11, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:06:09 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they would
talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

The second one isn't to EN131, but how does a dynamic load of 117kg compare
to a static load of 150kg? I'm about 88kg 'working weight', so plenty of
leeway - how about you TMH? ;-)

Oooh, well now, errm, maybe a little heavier than you - big bones you
understand :-)

Not sure what makes the Youngmans equivalent 'worth' so much more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2014 09:11, PeterC wrote:

The second one isn't to EN131, but how does a dynamic load of 117kg compare
to a static load of 150kg? I'm about 88kg 'working weight', so plenty of
leeway - how about you TMH? ;-)

Not sure what makes the Youngmans equivalent 'worth' so much more.

The wickes one gives a "safe working height" of 2m so presumably its 2m
high when erected whereas the Toolsatan ones are only a maximum of 600mm
high

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they
would talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

But the Wickes one is out of stock.

Not in my local Wickes - they had a huge pile of them.

I just stated what I saw when I clicked the link. I have no local
Wickes, so had zero interest in checking physically.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:17:57 +0000, alan wrote:

The wickes one gives a "safe working height" of 2m so presumably its 2m
high when erected ...

No "safe working height" is the height that some one can "safely"
reach when standing on the platform. ie roughly shoulder height.

"2 m high when erected" would be the "platform height" to which you
can add 1.8 m to get the "safe working height". I thinks it's 1.8 m,
probably defined somewhere.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2014 09:11, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:06:09 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they would
talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

The second one isn't to EN131,

It is unlikely the first is either. If it were, it would say it is
*certified* to EN131. With certain exceptions, such as medical devices,
anybody can claim their products conform to a standard without actually
having them certified as such.

but how does a dynamic load of 117kg compare
to a static load of 150kg? I'm about 88kg 'working weight', so plenty of
leeway - how about you TMH? ;-)

The duty rating, which equates to the dynamic load, for EN131 is 115kg,
which suggests that are probably much of a muchness.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they
would talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

But the Wickes one is out of stock.

Its also a different size and load capacity, but why read the details
when the picture looks so good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they
would talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

But the Wickes one is out of stock.

Its also a different size and load capacity, but why read the details
when the picture looks so good?

They are both light professional / heavy DIY load capacity, but
expressed in two different ways.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:41:38 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

The second one isn't to EN131,

It is unlikely the first is either. If it were, it would say it is
*certified* to EN131. With certain exceptions, such as medical devices,
anybody can claim their products conform to a standard without actually
having them certified as such.

but how does a dynamic load of 117kg compare
to a static load of 150kg? I'm about 88kg 'working weight', so plenty of
leeway - how about you TMH? ;-)

The duty rating, which equates to the dynamic load, for EN131 is 115kg,
which suggests that are probably much of a muchness.

Oh, thanks - I'd occasionally wondered about that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they would
talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

Toolstation one is decidedly higher load rating .. almost 30%
depends if that is important to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2014 18:11, Rick Hughes wrote:
Just had a 'special offer' e mail from Toolsatan;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p331... ign=140124-UK

And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Since they are both owned by Travis Perkins you would think they would
talk to each other.

Wonder what happens in the Wickes branches with a Toolsatan inside?

Toolstation one is decidedly higher load rating .. almost 30%
depends if that is important to you.

Only apparently so. They are quoting two different things; static load
and dynamic load. Static load will always be higher than dynamic load.
If you look at the feet and hinges, they are both yellow, which was the
colour for BS Class 2 ladders, before Class 2 was replaced by EN131,
which has no official colour. The static load for those is 150kg and the
dynamic load is 115kg.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 24, 2014 11:06:09 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:
And a new Wickes catalogue with this offer on the front;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/170000

Thanks for posting this, Dave. Just went to fix an elderly relatives outside light 50 miles away and got there to find their ladder broken, so grabbed one of these from the local Wickes.

Not a bad bit of kit for £20.

For those who've found them out of stock on the website, Wickes seem to have new stock with a different SKU code (and different coloured feet):

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/106265