Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC communication: RS232 vs. flash drive

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 00:59:15 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --

So, now that Le Fadal is bustid with spindle pro'lengs, I got time to 1.
clean up, and 2. consider some mods.

The Fadal tech taking care of NJ, PA, and a bit of NY was surprised when I
axed about RS232, his response was, Why go for 10 year old technology, when
flash drives work so well, AND, he sez, can DNC!!! At least the one from
CalMotion.com does. http://www.calmotion.com/products.html
Not sure which product is which, but I'll find out when I call.

Supposedly they make a portable version (wireless?? not sure), so that I
can use one for both the Fadal and Haas, when it comes in.

Any opinions on the "obsolete-ness" of RS232 vs flash drives?
go, so mebbe y'all can remind me why this is -- esp in light of the tech's
claim that these calmotion flash drive units (which replace the 3.5" floppy)
dnc as well
. This tech sez lots of his customers have the calmotion unit, and luvit
luvit.
Which, btw, he does not sell, so there would appear to be no bias, vested
interest.

I have RS232 communication with my Fadal and the other CNC machines in
my shop. Cons: I have to switch between cables with a selector switch,
I had to run cables to each machine. Pros: the cable was cheap. I can
make up new cables easily and cheaply for new machines. The cable is
cheap. Did I mention that the cable was cheap? Oh, and I can drip feed
the machines through the cables if needed, but I have never needed to.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Out here in California...RS-232 is still the most common type of
communications between machines and a computer. I see so few other
types...shrug

Gunner,

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Out here in California...RS-232 is still the most common type of
communications between machines and a computer. I see so few other
types...shrug

Why not? It's simple, reliable and inexpensive. Even a CADACAM
monkey can plug in the cable without help, and most know enough to leave
them alone so the boss doesn't have to call you out to fix it.

Do any of them use USB to RS-232 converters?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 3, 6:00*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Out here in California...RS-232 is still the most common type of
communications between machines and a computer. I see so few other
types...shrug

* *Why not? *It's simple, reliable and inexpensive. *Even a CADACAM
monkey can plug in the cable without help, and most know enough to leave
them alone so the boss doesn't have to call you out to fix it.

* *Do any of them use USB to RS-232 converters?

You fix your badly leaking roofs yet, Terrell or are you still trying
to get someone to do it for free because you can't?