Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default communication problem

"Dcap" wrote in
message roups.com...
replying to David Billington , Dcap wrote:
djb wrote:

Not always the case, I spent 20 years in software and did RS232
stuff many many times and it all depends on how the maker wired
their kit and whether they considered it DCE or DTE and what is at
either end. RS232 comms probably causes more problems than
anything I can think of. I've needed straight through on some
applications, null modem?, and crossed on others, then of course
if handshaking is added into the mix other signals may need to be
added or pulled to an appropriate state to satisfy flow control.

Hello djb, I am trying to get my software DeskCNC to communicate
with a
second generation controller for my cnc refit.
I am a EE and have tried all i can think of trying a third computer
setup
presently.
I was aware of the DCE and DTE differences even thru a 2 to 3 flip
block
in during testing.
i am not sure if the software is getting to the port, i do have
adjustment
for he port number in the ini file but that has no guarantee
function.
im about to sell all this hardware and license on eBay and give
someone
else my money.

Thanks for your input

I'd insert a breakout box and watch the rxd and txd lines with a scope
while trying to ping the controller with Hyperterm.

What does the controller expect for baud rate, parity, stop bits etc?

-jsw