Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford F-150

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 01:44:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 22:57:17 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:02:13 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 12:34:48 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7:52:04 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
I just got back from an engineering conference in Detroit on
"lightweighting" cars and trucks, which was an exceptionally good one,
but one mundane fact set me back in my chair. Ford has four stamping
plants making body parts for the new aluminum F-150. At the biggest
one, at the old Rouge plant, their stamping line fills an
11-ton-capacity truck with aluminum stamping scrap every 20 minutes.
The trucks are lined up to haul it back to the mills.

That's a lot of aluminum. All of the US and European car makers have
high-quantity aluminum vehicles in the works ...

"Chevy’s ads show the bed of the Ford F-150 cracking when heavy or sharp objects are dropped into it, while the [Chevy] Silverado ends up with just a few dents, scratches and, in one case, pinholes. In one video, a Chevy engineer drops a large toolbox into the bed of each truck at such an angle that it dents in the Silverado and puts a hole in the bed of the Ford. The campaign is big, too, airing online, on television during major sporting events and at 2,400 movie theaters"

--
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...uminum-pickups

('GM Airs Attack Ads That Poke Holes in Ford’s Aluminum Pickups' by David Welch June 8, 2016 — 3:30 PM EDT Bloomberg )

"Chevy has several ads which the company says are exhibiting field
tests done internally by GM. In another ad, a load of 55 landscaping
bricks is dropped five feet into the beds of each truck, again denting
the Silverado and putting a few holes in the F-150. Truck owners
usually don’t drop large bricks from such a height."

On the other hand....no one usually drops a tool box or a large valve
or a piece of steel etc etc into the back of a pickup truck...but if
you look at half the pickup trucks on the road used for "work", you
will find dings and dents and places where exactly that happened. No
one plans on "xxxxxx" but **** does happen. Good of Chevy to point
that out.

Im sure someone with a waterjet or laser could make a reasonable
income cutting a sheet of 5/16" aluminum or 3/16" steel (plain or
diamond plate), perfectly fit for putting down, in the back of the
new Fords. Wouldnt add much weight and would prevent bed damage.

---

The bed on my pickup has never seen the light of day. It has a tough
polymer slip-in liner that takes any abuse, protecting the steel bed.

are they better or worse than the sprayed in Rino Liner type coatings?

Significantly better as they are not bonded to the steel. They can
move a bit by themselves to absorb shock - and with ridges are almost
an inch thick
---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

software.
The bed on my pickup has never seen the light of day. It has a
tough
polymer slip-in liner that takes any abuse, protecting the steel
bed.

are they better or worse than the sprayed in Rino Liner type
coatings?

Significantly better as they are not bonded to the steel. They can
move a bit by themselves to absorb shock - and with ridges are
almost
an inch thick
---

I have a few minor dents in the fender wells from tossed-in firewood
despite the factory plastic bed liner. Only the floor is reinforced by
ribs. Then again dropped firewood has cracked through the bottom of my
supposedly super tough plastic wheelbarrow.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have always had one, too. They are better than the linings because
the ridges hold the materials away from the bed. When the guy bought
my 1990 F-150 in 2007, the bed looked brand new, cept for the strips
of duct tape I used to keep the liner from scratching it. I found that
it had been unnecessary. The liner was 15 years old and had taken
some abuse, but still looked near new. The new one for the Tundra was
$218, costing me roughly $20 a year so far, and it is in great shape.
They do last.

I prefer the slippery liner to the sticky Rhino coating because I like
to slide my freight around, then keep it in place with ratcheting
straps. You have to physically hold the freight up off Rhino lining
until it is in place, lots more work.

AFAIC, poly liners are the only way to go.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 02:04:15 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 23:31:41 -0700, Donald J. Trump
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 23:13:50 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ol' Weird Ed + his favorite, gun-grabbing, liberal, NYC mayor's site?
Typical.

Check your attributions, numbnuts. That was "walter_evening," the
alter ego of "mog," who posted that.

Jacques can't be bothered to check attributes, and appears to agree with Wieber that using up to
about 20% of a pickup's load capacity for an aux bed floor is a good idea. If only there were more
losers... I mean minds of such very great intelligence, I would have a better chance of getting
elected.

D.T.

"No more massive injections. Tiny children are not horses—one vaccine at a time, over time."

A 4X8 X 3/16" plate weighs aprox 225 lbs So an F150 will only carry
1000 lbs in the bed?

This is the problem with losers... I mean the brilliant voters who know I can fix everything in
their lives very very well. They can't even look up the rated capacity of a half ton pickup. They
just make up their own numbers which works as well at a weigh scale as it does with personal
finance. When you've acquired 10 billion in assets as I have, get back to me about numbers. Until
then, don't forget to vote for the big very beautiful and wonderful wall that will put groceries on
your table and gas in your tank.

D.T.

"The point is, you can never be too greedy."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

The plywood floor I put in when the crane is installed is a reasonable
compromise. I could slide an Atlas lathe or the frame of my surface
grinder to the front on it but they didn't noticeably shift around
while driving.

I added tiedowns on the crane base near the bed bolts in addition to
the 3/8" eye bolts in the stake pockets, which are the only ones
available when the liner is in. Transporting theatre scenery made me
appreciate plenty of well distributed tiedowns.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Which bed liners are those? Virtually every liner Ive seen had a
uniform thickness of about 1/8" thick. They are occasionally found
on the side of the freeways, blown out of the back of pickup trucks.

---

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 18:55:56 -0700
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:33:33 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:34:25 -0700, Alexander Galaxy
wrote:

On 06/26/2016 05:59 AM,
wrote:
The bed on my pickup has never seen the light of day. It has a tough
polymer slip-in liner that takes any abuse, protecting the steel bed.

are they better or worse than the sprayed in Rino Liner type coatings?

Significantly better as they are not bonded to the steel. They can
move a bit by themselves to absorb shock - and with ridges are almost
an inch thick

They move enough to wear the paint off the bed, and they trap water
underneath. But they will hide the resulting rust nicely.

Mine once moved enough by itself that I needed to pull over onto the
shoulder and then backup to retrieve it from its resting place alongside
the freeway.

A cap solves both of those problems - or even a toneau.

This of course assumes you are not using the truck to haul
cargo...boxes of apples for example..or autoparts

Details, details.

I'm of mixed views on the liner in the Mazda. I like that I can
slide stuff in and out. I do not like when it slides by itself. And
I really don't like when the hole for the tie down loop is just the
right size to get in the way when trying to get a hook or strap
through the tie down loop. Especially when I'm having to squeeze in
there to find the loop.

Again "details".

And just about the time I finally get the shell on and water
tight, it looks like it may have to remove it for camping season. Sigh
- some days you can't win.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 20:44:39 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 18:55:56 -0700
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:33:33 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:34:25 -0700, Alexander Galaxy
wrote:

On 06/26/2016 05:59 AM,
wrote:
[...]

I fixed mine in 15 minutes by opening them up an inch with a hunting
knife. It's just 1/4" plastic, after all.

Those same tiedown loops keep the liner from ever trying to get out of
the bed, even if all 4 of the holddown clips had come undone.

Again "details".

And just about the time I finally get the shell on and water
tight, it looks like it may have to remove it for camping season. Sigh
- some days you can't win.

I also drilled 4 holes in the front bottom area to release the water.
Before I put up the carport, as I'd leave my driveway, 50 gallons of
water would slosh out on the road before I got 30' down the road. It
was a giggle, but I prefer it to leak out as it comes in. Because my
drain holes had been open when I put the liner in, they continued to
keep the space between dry and I had zero rust there when I took the
liner out before I sold the 17 year old truck.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I said:
Significantly better as they are not bonded to the steel. They can
move a bit by themselves to absorb shock - and with ridges are almost
an inch thick

Which bed liners are those? Virtually every liner Ive seen had a
uniform thickness of about 1/8" thick. They are occasionally found
on the side of the freeways, blown out of the back of pickup trucks.

Sorry. I meant to say "1/8-1/4in thick with ridges an inch _tall_."

I still can't believe people let those blow out of their trucks.
Maroons. I have the back end of mine screwed down, too, so it is
easier to slide things off the tailgate onto the bed liner. Between
the oversize liner, the lock-in clips, and the interference fit of the
tiedown loops in the bedsides, I can't see how these things escape
unless the installers broke them, or forgot to tighten the clips, or
modified them so poorly that the tiedowns didn't catch it. Or all of
the above.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 22:15:05 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:34:25 -0700, Alexander Galaxy
wrote:

On 06/26/2016 05:59 AM,
wrote:
[...]

A roll-up toneau keeps the empty liner in place - auto parts and
apples look after the liner themselves when in ise.

Roll-up toneau? I think Ive seen maybe.....(2) of them in my life
time. Lift up toneau...maybe 10. And NONE of them were used on any
vehicle other than a rich kids pussy wagon. Maybe they are more
popular in other places than California...we seldom ever see either
here

And my liner fits tightly enough without the cap on that it is a fight
to get it out.

The trucks with a slightly overhung upper edge of the bed work well
for this. A slab sided bed...simply doesnt work. My ranger has a liner
and a slightly overhung upper edge. Works well, doesnt move. Then I
put a work shell on it and it will never move

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I said:
[...]

The factory bedliner in my 91 Ford was originally held in by black
oxide 1/4" screws through sheet metal clip nuts in the plastic bed top
rail clamps. The screws and clip nuts soon started to rust and would
probably have failed years ago and let the liner fly out if I hadn't
kept them oiled. I added stake pocket tiedown eyes which also secure
the bedliner in place.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Sun, 26 Jun 2016
21:01:53 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

This of course assumes you are not using the truck to haul
cargo...boxes of apples for example..or autoparts

Details, details.

I'm of mixed views on the liner in the Mazda. I like that I can
slide stuff in and out. I do not like when it slides by itself. And
I really don't like when the hole for the tie down loop is just the
right size to get in the way when trying to get a hook or strap
through the tie down loop. Especially when I'm having to squeeze in
there to find the loop.

I fixed mine in 15 minutes by opening them up an inch with a hunting
knife. It's just 1/4" plastic, after all.

I know that. But it is like the leak in the roof - when I notice
it, I'm to busy to fix it, when I have the time - it doesn't need
fixing.

Those same tiedown loops keep the liner from ever trying to get out of
the bed, even if all 4 of the holddown clips had come undone.

Again "details".

And just about the time I finally get the shell on and water
tight, it looks like it may have to remove it for camping season. Sigh
- some days you can't win.

I also drilled 4 holes in the front bottom area to release the water.
Before I put up the carport, as I'd leave my driveway, 50 gallons of
water would slosh out on the road before I got 30' down the road.

I always kind of looked on that as a "Feature" B-)

It
was a giggle, but I prefer it to leak out as it comes in. Because my
drain holes had been open when I put the liner in, they continued to
keep the space between dry and I had zero rust there when I took the
liner out before I sold the 17 year old truck.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 07:43:32 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

I said:
[...]

I live in the PNW and haven't lost a single fastener to rust in the 14
years I've been here. It seldom snows here in GP, and they usually
use ground-up clay roofing tiles as a de-slicker when it does. Maybe
it's all that salt you east coasters drive through that is causing
your rust problems. I've also never lived right on the coast, so I
haven't had to put up with sea salt corrosion, either. Friends in
Oceanside, CA had that, and we didn't in Vista, just 7 miles inland.

I added stake pocket tiedown eyes which also secure
the bedliner in place.

Not a bad idea, but was it really necessary, or just for peace of
mind? The reason I used screws in the tail was because of warpage in
the hot sun. The edge nearest the tailgate would wrinkle in the sun,
so I tied it down to prevent that.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:34:25 -0700, Alexander Galaxy
wrote:

On 06/26/2016 05:59 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Same with my ranger - and the cap has never been off.

As for "roll=up toneaus" they are fairly common here - used to keep
the bed from filling with water when it rains, snow when it snows, and
leaves and junk in the fall. Easily removed to allow carrying things
taller than the box, and easily replaced when you unload - no storage
facility required. A whole lot more adaptable than the hinged
hard-covers (whish are most often found on "toy " trucks)
---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 07:43:32 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I added stake pocket tiedown eyes which also secure
the bedliner in place.

Not a bad idea, but was it really necessary, or just for peace of
mind? The reason I used screws in the tail was because of warpage
in
the hot sun. The edge nearest the tailgate would wrinkle in the
sun,
so I tied it down to prevent that.

I did it for peace of mind when hauling half a ton of iron. They are
3/8" stainless eye screws anchored in tapped holes in cross pins
through the lower tie-down holes. Pressure treated wood fills the rest
of the stake pockets.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 17:43:52 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 07:43:32 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I added stake pocket tiedown eyes which also secure
the bedliner in place.

Not a bad idea, but was it really necessary, or just for peace of
mind? The reason I used screws in the tail was because of warpage
in
the hot sun. The edge nearest the tailgate would wrinkle in the
sun,
so I tied it down to prevent that.

I did it for peace of mind when hauling half a ton of iron. They are
3/8" stainless eye screws anchored in tapped holes in cross pins
through the lower tie-down holes. Pressure treated wood fills the rest
of the stake pockets.

Belt + suspenders + superglue + twine. Got it.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 07:36:17 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Are you sure you don't live in a Blue state, Pete?

Those same tiedown loops keep the liner from ever trying to get out of
the bed, even if all 4 of the holddown clips had come undone.

Again "details".

And just about the time I finally get the shell on and water
tight, it looks like it may have to remove it for camping season. Sigh
- some days you can't win.

I also drilled 4 holes in the front bottom area to release the water.
Before I put up the carport, as I'd leave my driveway, 50 gallons of
water would slosh out on the road before I got 30' down the road.

I always kind of looked on that as a "Feature" B-)

Yeah, it was fun, but I decided that there was a chance some idiot
would find some way to sue me for it, if they were coming down the
road at 185mph and hit their brakes wrong in front of my hazardous
liquid spill, knowwhatImean,Vern?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 17:43:52 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Not a bad idea, but was it really necessary, or just for peace of

mind?

I did it for peace of mind when hauling half a ton of iron. They are
3/8" stainless eye screws anchored in tapped holes in cross pins
through the lower tie-down holes. Pressure treated wood fills the
rest
of the stake pockets.

Belt + suspenders + superglue + twine. Got it.

No you don't. This bedliner covered all the tiedown points so I had to
install some that were strong enough to secure a load of industrial
machinery. None of the commercial stake pocket tiedowns I looked at
would solidly connect to the truck; they depended on the friction of
an expanding rubber plug and didn't provide for a waterproof seal at
the hole through the liner. My home made ones are solid metal,
stronger than the sheet metal stake pockets they are locked into, and
sealed by compressed rubber grommets.

Hey Ed, is the semicolon after "truck" legitimate?
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 07:18:53 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, and it's a good one. It's often an option among several choices;
sometimes it's by far the best, as in your example.

--
Ed Huntress (writing an article today -- don't expect to see more of
me until late)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 17:43:52 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Not a bad idea, but was it really necessary, or just for peace of
mind?

I did it for peace of mind when hauling half a ton of iron. They are
3/8" stainless eye screws anchored in tapped holes in cross pins
through the lower tie-down holes. Pressure treated wood fills the
rest
of the stake pockets.

Belt + suspenders + superglue + twine. Got it.

No you don't. This bedliner covered all the tiedown points so I had to
install some that were strong enough to secure a load of industrial
machinery.

OK, but you didn't originally disclose that.

None of the commercial stake pocket tiedowns I looked at
would solidly connect to the truck; they depended on the friction of
an expanding rubber plug and didn't provide for a waterproof seal at
the hole through the liner.

Yeah, the selection is pretty meager. Most homemades I've seen were
long eyebolts which went through the bottom stake bracket hole and had
wooden inserts similar to your description.

My home made ones are solid metal,
stronger than the sheet metal stake pockets they are locked into, and
sealed by compressed rubber grommets.

Hey Ed, is the semicolon after "truck" legitimate?

I'm not WOE, but yes, either the semicolon or . T would have worked.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/29/2016 04:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey Ed, is the semicolon after "truck" legitimate?

http://www.tameri.com/edit/punctuation.html

I once had a journalism instructor who wrote his own style book,
available at the college book store. It started off with "This book was
written to assist the student learn... " He apparently wasn't satisfied
with "help", and had to go with something more impressive from his word
processor's list of suggestions. Idiot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Alexander Galaxy" wrote in message
On 06/29/2016 04:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey Ed, is the semicolon after "truck" legitimate?

http://www.tameri.com/edit/punctuation.html

I once had a journalism instructor who wrote his own style book,
available at the college book store. It started off with "This book
was written to assist the student learn... " He apparently wasn't
satisfied with "help", and had to go with something more impressive
from his word processor's list of suggestions. Idiot.

In case you missed it, there has been a long string of discussion here
about the "comma splice".

Ed answered with a fine example of his own.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/29/2016 4:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Yes, the semicolon is properly used. It links two closely related
independent clauses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:47:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Alexander Galaxy" wrote in message
On 06/29/2016 04:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey Ed, is the semicolon after "truck" legitimate?

http://www.tameri.com/edit/punctuation.html

I once had a journalism instructor who wrote his own style book,
available at the college book store. It started off with "This book
was written to assist the student learn... " He apparently wasn't
satisfied with "help", and had to go with something more impressive
from his word processor's list of suggestions. Idiot.

In case you missed it, there has been a long string of discussion here
about the "comma splice".

Ed answered with a fine example of his own.

--jsw

Do you remember where you saw a comma splice?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You gave an example of a semicolon.

"It's often an option among several choices;
sometimes it's by far the best, as in your example."

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh. For the record, that's not a comma splice. I intentionally wrote
that with a semicolon, to give an example of the point.

Maybe you didn't intend to use it as an example of a comma splice?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Sorry if I was ambiguous; I know I need to practice writing clearly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 10:24:48 -0700, Alexander Galaxy
wrote:

On 06/29/2016 04:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey Ed, is the semicolon after "truck" legitimate?

http://www.tameri.com/edit/punctuation.html

I once had a journalism instructor who wrote his own style book,
available at the college book store. It started off with "This book was
written to assist the student learn... " He apparently wasn't satisfied
with "help", and had to go with something more impressive from his word
processor's list of suggestions. Idiot.

Probably paid by the word to write it.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/29/2016 10:47 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Alexander Galaxy" wrote in message
On 06/29/2016 04:18 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey Ed, is the semicolon after "truck" legitimate?

http://www.tameri.com/edit/punctuation.html

I once had a journalism instructor who wrote his own style book,
available at the college book store. It started off with "This book
was written to assist the student learn... " He apparently wasn't
satisfied with "help", and had to go with something more impressive
from his word processor's list of suggestions. Idiot.

In case you missed it, there has been a long string of discussion here
about the "comma splice".

Ed answered with a fine example of his own.

--jsw

Ed has a style book. He doesn't need it any more, but it's there. I went
to the trouble of finding you a free one.

'32 ford anyone? Richard[_9_] Metalworking 22 January 27th 14 04:22 AM
Ford Axles Snag[_3_] Metalworking 5 July 24th 10 04:30 AM
Ford Escape oldjag Metalworking 8 August 7th 08 01:22 AM
Four Tips When Choosing New Ford Truck Seat Covers.(ford truckaccessory) [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 29th 08 04:12 AM
diesel in 93 Ford gas Karl Townsend Metalworking 9 November 27th 07 04:52 AM