Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford F-150

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 07:43:32 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 17:32:54 -0700, Gunner Asch

wrote:

are they better or worse than the sprayed in Rino Liner type
coatings?

I said:
Significantly better as they are not bonded to the steel. They can
move a bit by themselves to absorb shock - and with ridges are
almost
an inch thick

Which bed liners are those? Virtually every liner Ive seen had a
uniform thickness of about 1/8" thick. They are occasionally found
on the side of the freeways, blown out of the back of pickup trucks.

Sorry. I meant to say "1/8-1/4in thick with ridges an inch _tall_."

I still can't believe people let those blow out of their trucks.
Maroons. I have the back end of mine screwed down, too, so it is
easier to slide things off the tailgate onto the bed liner. Between
the oversize liner, the lock-in clips, and the interference fit of
the
tiedown loops in the bedsides, I can't see how these things escape
unless the installers broke them, or forgot to tighten the clips, or
modified them so poorly that the tiedowns didn't catch it. Or all
of
the above.

The factory bedliner in my 91 Ford was originally held in by black
oxide 1/4" screws through sheet metal clip nuts in the plastic bed top
rail clamps. The screws and clip nuts soon started to rust and would
probably have failed years ago and let the liner fly out if I hadn't
kept them oiled.

I live in the PNW and haven't lost a single fastener to rust in the 14
years I've been here. It seldom snows here in GP, and they usually
use ground-up clay roofing tiles as a de-slicker when it does. Maybe
it's all that salt you east coasters drive through that is causing
your rust problems. I've also never lived right on the coast, so I
haven't had to put up with sea salt corrosion, either. Friends in
Oceanside, CA had that, and we didn't in Vista, just 7 miles inland.

I added stake pocket tiedown eyes which also secure
the bedliner in place.

Not a bad idea, but was it really necessary, or just for peace of
mind? The reason I used screws in the tail was because of warpage in
the hot sun. The edge nearest the tailgate would wrinkle in the sun,
so I tied it down to prevent that.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach