Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford F-150

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 20:44:39 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 18:55:56 -0700
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:33:33 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:34:25 -0700, Alexander Galaxy
wrote:

On 06/26/2016 05:59 AM,
wrote:
The bed on my pickup has never seen the light of day. It has a tough
polymer slip-in liner that takes any abuse, protecting the steel bed.

are they better or worse than the sprayed in Rino Liner type coatings?

Significantly better as they are not bonded to the steel. They can
move a bit by themselves to absorb shock - and with ridges are almost
an inch thick

They move enough to wear the paint off the bed, and they trap water
underneath. But they will hide the resulting rust nicely.

Mine once moved enough by itself that I needed to pull over onto the
shoulder and then backup to retrieve it from its resting place alongside
the freeway.
A cap solves both of those problems - or even a toneau.

This of course assumes you are not using the truck to haul
cargo...boxes of apples for example..or autoparts

Details, details.

I'm of mixed views on the liner in the Mazda. I like that I can
slide stuff in and out. I do not like when it slides by itself. And
I really don't like when the hole for the tie down loop is just the
right size to get in the way when trying to get a hook or strap
through the tie down loop. Especially when I'm having to squeeze in
there to find the loop.

I fixed mine in 15 minutes by opening them up an inch with a hunting
knife. It's just 1/4" plastic, after all.

Those same tiedown loops keep the liner from ever trying to get out of
the bed, even if all 4 of the holddown clips had come undone.

Again "details".

And just about the time I finally get the shell on and water
tight, it looks like it may have to remove it for camping season. Sigh
- some days you can't win.

I also drilled 4 holes in the front bottom area to release the water.
Before I put up the carport, as I'd leave my driveway, 50 gallons of
water would slosh out on the road before I got 30' down the road. It
was a giggle, but I prefer it to leak out as it comes in. Because my
drain holes had been open when I put the liner in, they continued to
keep the space between dry and I had zero rust there when I took the
liner out before I sold the 17 year old truck.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach