Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to get cork for clutches

I don't mean purses. When looking for cork for clutches online I found
pictures of purses made from cork sheet. Uhhhhhhhgly. But that's
besides the point. I have been looking online for suppliers of cork
for making conical clutches. I have found suppliers from India, among
other foreign sources, that will sell me pallet loads (container loads
too), but I don't need that much. Not yet at least. I tried
McMaster-Carr but no joy. I have found cork sheet for gaskets but I
don't think I want that. I can send my clutch substrates to clutch and
brake makers who also re-line clutches and have them done but this is
prohibitively expensive. There are other clutch materials available
but I don't know of any that have the same feel as cork. I may need to
buy cork in particle form and add some sort of binder to make my own
but I hope not. That would take a lot of experimenting to get the
right formula. So does anyone here know where to get cork that is made
for clutches?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:30:01 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

So does anyone here know where to get cork that is made
for clutches?

Why, exactly, would sheet goods not work? You can get cork in all sorts of
thicknesses. NONE of it is skived anymore -- it's all "re-bonded"
particles.

Lloyd

Actually you CAN still buy all natural (cut) cork.

See
http://www.schoolsin.com/Merchant5/m...N_d_408_d_CT18

for one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fired this volley in
:

Actually you CAN still buy all natural (cut) cork.

See
http://www.schoolsin.com/Merchant5/m...OD&Product_Cod
e=MAR-UN-408-CT18&Store_Code=SCHI&gdftrk=gdfV27481_a_7c1079_a_7 c2623_a_
7cMAR_d_UN_d_408_d_CT18

for one.

Well, obviously THAT isn't one of them! Did you bother to look at the
picture? There IS a magnifier on that frame, if you care to use it.

That's rubber rebonded particle sheet. Skived cork MIGHT be had from
some Bolivian dealer, direct, but it's pretty darned scarce here.

There's a big difference between "natural cork", and skived sheets of
cork.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:18:38 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Actually you CAN still buy all natural (cut) cork.

See
http://www.schoolsin.com/Merchant5/m...OD&Product_Cod
e=MAR-UN-408-CT18&Store_Code=SCHI&gdftrk=gdfV27481_a_7c1079_a_7 c2623_a_
7cMAR_d_UN_d_408_d_CT18

for one.

Well, obviously THAT isn't one of them! Did you bother to look at the
picture? There IS a magnifier on that frame, if you care to use it.

That's rubber rebonded particle sheet. Skived cork MIGHT be had from
some Bolivian dealer, direct, but it's pretty darned scarce here.

There's a big difference between "natural cork", and skived sheets of
cork.

LLoyd

?natural" cork should have no bonders or glues or other adulterations.
I had some cut cork sheets up until a couple years ago that was plain
cut cork, and I saw some cork flooring for sale recently locally that
was also cut, or skived, cork - not ground up cork dust glued into a
sheet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/16/2014 5:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hi, Eric.
Perhaps I can help again!
Years ago I attended an estate auction sale of a small, private, machine
shop. I bought all the available material and a sample of a machine to
wind fishing line onto spools for spinning reels. There were many
finished components and lots of material ready to be machined. I was
never able to get any drawings or documentation from the family.

The machine used cork clutch material to drive the spinning reel spool.
It was glued to the hub of the variable speed motor. I still have a
bunch of the material. Some in the original box, I think. You are
welcome to it. I think it is still in the shop loft, somewhere!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:22:36 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

?natural" cork should have no bonders or glues or other adulterations.
I had some cut cork sheets up until a couple years ago that was plain
cut cork, and I saw some cork flooring for sale recently locally that
was also cut, or skived, cork - not ground up cork dust glued into a
sheet.

I've got some, too, but what you showed us on that site was re-bond
material, not "cut".

Lloyd

I didn't look closely enough - I just went by "natural cork" in the
description. I know it is still possible to buy the "real stuff"
because I have stumbled across it several times over the last couple
years. Isually in 1/4" and 1/8" thicknesses.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about using leather instead?
Several of the guys in my blacksmithing group, myself included, use leather for cone clutch duty on our Mayer Bros. Little Giant trip hammers. There are plenty of leather suppliers around. it can be gotten in just about any thickness, up to 1/4" or so. We are replacing the "Gandy belting" that was originally used.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:28:29 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:25:58 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

US Stocking Facility

Talbros Cork Products LLC
U.S. Warehousing Facility,
Van Brunt Logistics
580 Division St
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
email-

Greetings Clare,
I have emailed them but it looks doubtful. It appears from their site
that they only sell very large amounts. Hopefully they will be able to
tell me where I can buy small amounts of friction material.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:20:22 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 12/16/2014 5:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Boy Paul, that would be great. I hope to eventually need lots of cork,
but I do need to experiment. If I am experimenting with cork from a
known source and it is made for friction that would be a good start.
Thanks. If you can find some of the stuff I'll pay for the shipping
cost. By the way, I now have hundreds of hours on those buck xmfrs and
the problem of the lathe drive shutting down has never recurred since
I connected them to the lathe.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:25:58 -0800, wrote:

I don't mean purses. When looking for cork for clutches online I found
pictures of purses made from cork sheet. Uhhhhhhhgly.

========================
Try the suppliers advertizing in Hemmings Motor News. This
is a pub for antique/odd car restorers. Hudson had a cork
clutch among others.

A few bucks at the larger news stands and see
http://tinyurl.com/fhhmt

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:25:58 -0800, etpm wrote:

[...]

Buy purses and cut them up?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/18/2014 8:45 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:20:22 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 12/16/2014 5:25 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I will look and see what I have. I will send it all, so you will have to
store it and not me! I will let you know about the weight, etc. then get
you address, again.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:28:11 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 12/18/2014 8:45 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:20:22 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 12/16/2014 5:25 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. Your post was especially good news since I have as yet
not been able to find the correct type of cork for clutches. I even
spoke with clutch companies who told me that they cannot get cork
clutch facing material anymore either.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:01:18 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:25:58 -0800, wrote:

I don't mean purses. When looking for cork for clutches online I found
pictures of purses made from cork sheet. Uhhhhhhhgly.

========================
Try the suppliers advertizing in Hemmings Motor News. This
is a pub for antique/odd car restorers. Hudson had a cork
clutch among others.

A few bucks at the larger news stands and see
http://tinyurl.com/fhhmt

Thanks George, I'll do that. Even though the material might be
expensive by the pound each device will not need that much.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/18/2014 3:40 PM, wrote:

Paul

Thanks Paul. Your post was especially good news since I have as yet
not been able to find the correct type of cork for clutches. I even
spoke with clutch companies who told me that they cannot get cork
clutch facing material anymore either.
Eric

Eric.
Found the unopened box up in the loft. Somewhere there may be some loose
sheets, but I probably tossed them. Here is a URL to the cork material:
http://midwestproducts.com/products/...-o-cork-sheets

There are 9 sheets in the box. It was purchased through a hobby shop in
Bend. the price back then was a bit lower than listed today!

I can take it to the plant tomorrow and add a bit of tape and get it off
to you UPS. Need name and address.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:16:43 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
Hudson had a cork
clutch among others.

Cork running in "Hudsonite" fluid.

As I remember the cork on the Hudson clutches was not a sheet of cork. I remember it as being a bunch of round cork pieces. That memory is from a very long time ago and may not be accurate.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:56:57 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 12/18/2014 3:40 PM, wrote:

Paul

Thanks Paul. Your post was especially good news since I have as yet
not been able to find the correct type of cork for clutches. I even
spoke with clutch companies who told me that they cannot get cork
clutch facing material anymore either.
Eric

Eric.
Found the unopened box up in the loft. Somewhere there may be some loose
sheets, but I probably tossed them. Here is a URL to the cork material:
http://midwestproducts.com/products/...-o-cork-sheets

There are 9 sheets in the box. It was purchased through a hobby shop in
Bend. the price back then was a bit lower than listed today!

I can take it to the plant tomorrow and add a bit of tape and get it off
to you UPS. Need name and address.

Paul

Greetings Paul,
I guess an address would be good.
E T Precision Machine
6760 Neely Rd.
Clinton, WA 98236
Thanks again,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 05:57:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:16:43 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
Hudson had a cork
clutch among others.

Cork running in "Hudsonite" fluid.

As I remember the cork on the Hudson clutches was not a sheet of cork. I remember it as being a bunch of round cork pieces. That memory is from a very long time ago and may not be accurate.

Dan

The lining on a 1937 terraplane was 8 5/8 inches OD and 5 5/8 inches
ID and 0.203 inches thick.
On a 1937 Hudson 8, it was 9 3/8OD and 6 3/8 ID and 0.203" thick.
The cost of a new clutch disc in 1937 was $5.50 on a six and $4.50 on
an eight. The throwout bearing was $2.95, The pressure plate was $4
for a 6 and $5 for an 8. The clutch springs were $0.15 each (6 on a
six and 12 on an 8) and the throwoput levers were $0.40 each. The
pilot bearing was $1.50
The Hudsonite fluid was to be changed every 5-15 thousand miles. The
clutch held 1/3 pint of fluid. It was common to flush the clutch with
Kerosene if a clutch slipped or grabbed or chattered, and fill with
fresh hudsonite. This removed the black glaze on the cork and
rejuvinated the cork.