Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to get cork for clutches

I don't mean purses. When looking for cork for clutches online I found
pictures of purses made from cork sheet. Uhhhhhhhgly. But that's
besides the point. I have been looking online for suppliers of cork
for making conical clutches. I have found suppliers from India, among
other foreign sources, that will sell me pallet loads (container loads
too), but I don't need that much. Not yet at least. I tried
McMaster-Carr but no joy. I have found cork sheet for gaskets but I
don't think I want that. I can send my clutch substrates to clutch and
brake makers who also re-line clutches and have them done but this is
prohibitively expensive. There are other clutch materials available
but I don't know of any that have the same feel as cork. I may need to
buy cork in particle form and add some sort of binder to make my own
but I hope not. That would take a lot of experimenting to get the
right formula. So does anyone here know where to get cork that is made
for clutches?
Thanks,
Eric