Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Where to get cork for clutches

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:25:58 -0800, etpm wrote:

I don't mean purses. When looking for cork for clutches online I found
pictures of purses made from cork sheet. Uhhhhhhhgly. But that's besides
the point. I have been looking online for suppliers of cork for making
conical clutches. I have found suppliers from India, among other foreign
sources, that will sell me pallet loads (container loads too), but I
don't need that much. Not yet at least. I tried McMaster-Carr but no
joy. I have found cork sheet for gaskets but I don't think I want that.
I can send my clutch substrates to clutch and brake makers who also
re-line clutches and have them done but this is prohibitively expensive.
There are other clutch materials available but I don't know of any that
have the same feel as cork. I may need to buy cork in particle form and
add some sort of binder to make my own but I hope not. That would take a
lot of experimenting to get the right formula. So does anyone here know
where to get cork that is made for clutches?
Thanks,
Eric

Buy purses and cut them up?

--