Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Where to get cork for clutches

On 12/18/2014 8:45 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:20:22 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 12/16/2014 5:25 PM,
wrote:
I don't mean purses. When looking for cork for clutches online I found
pictures of purses made from cork sheet. Uhhhhhhhgly. But that's
besides the point. I have been looking online for suppliers of cork
for making conical clutches. I have found suppliers from India, among
other foreign sources, that will sell me pallet loads (container loads
too), but I don't need that much. Not yet at least. I tried
McMaster-Carr but no joy. I have found cork sheet for gaskets but I
don't think I want that. I can send my clutch substrates to clutch and
brake makers who also re-line clutches and have them done but this is
prohibitively expensive. There are other clutch materials available
but I don't know of any that have the same feel as cork. I may need to
buy cork in particle form and add some sort of binder to make my own
but I hope not. That would take a lot of experimenting to get the
right formula. So does anyone here know where to get cork that is made
for clutches?
Thanks,
Eric

Hi, Eric.
Perhaps I can help again!
Years ago I attended an estate auction sale of a small, private, machine
shop. I bought all the available material and a sample of a machine to
wind fishing line onto spools for spinning reels. There were many
finished components and lots of material ready to be machined. I was
never able to get any drawings or documentation from the family.

The machine used cork clutch material to drive the spinning reel spool.
It was glued to the hub of the variable speed motor. I still have a
bunch of the material. Some in the original box, I think. You are
welcome to it. I think it is still in the shop loft, somewhere!

Paul

Boy Paul, that would be great. I hope to eventually need lots of cork,
but I do need to experiment. If I am experimenting with cork from a
known source and it is made for friction that would be a good start.
Thanks. If you can find some of the stuff I'll pay for the shipping
cost. By the way, I now have hundreds of hours on those buck xmfrs and
the problem of the lathe drive shutting down has never recurred since
I connected them to the lathe.
Thanks,
Eric

I will look and see what I have. I will send it all, so you will have to
store it and not me! I will let you know about the weight, etc. then get
you address, again.

Paul