Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any String Trimmers w/o Centrifugal Clutches?

I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without
the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in
most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.)
Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite?
Thanks.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without
the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in
most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.)
Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite?
Thanks.
Frank

Hi,
Isn't that a safety issue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2012 10:17 AM, frank1492 wrote:
I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without
the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in
most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.)
Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite?
Thanks.
Frank

simple to do. Take it apart and remove the springs from the clutch and
re-assemble.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2012 10:19 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without
the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in
most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.)
Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite?
Thanks.
Frank

Hi,
Isn't that a safety issue?

only if the cat is right next to the string when you pull the rope. LMAO!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

For trimming a straight line, say under a fence or
against a wall, you can't beat a scythe.

It's only good against posts depending on your
skill - you don't want to bury the tip in the side
of the post. A wall self-directs it to the right
place, by contrast.

It's no good in enclosed corners, which will leave
an arc that you can't get to.

But no gas, no noise, no effort.

I get mine from www.scythesupply.com (no
connection except as customer). I cut an acre of
lawn with it, but that's maybe a little extreme if
it's not an actual hobby.

A couple hundred random pictures over the years
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/tags/scythe

Get their grass blade unless you're going to cut
woody things, and a straight (not bent) snath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Steve.
BTW to the other poster, I *did* know it was a safety issue. And now
to another issue. How do I adjust the carb on my 3-yr old lawnmower?
(It surges.) Where do I look for the cap that conceals the adjustment
screw, or is there even one? (Its a Briggs.) Oh how I long for the
dangerous, too-much-emission years.

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:58:50 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 6/8/2012 10:17 AM, frank1492 wrote:
I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without
the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in
most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.)
Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite?
Thanks.
Frank

simple to do. Take it apart and remove the springs from the clutch and
re-assemble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 6/8/2012 10:17 AM, frank1492 wrote:
I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without
the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in
most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.)
* * Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite?
* * Thanks.
* * * * Frank

simple to do. Take it apart and remove the springs from the clutch and
re-assemble.- Hide quoted text -

It probably surges because of the governor, not the carb. Most mowers
have a governor that tries to keep the rpm at one point even when the
mowing load varies. It will include some sort of "vane" that sticks
into the airflow created by the small blades on the top flywheel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 12:34*pm, Ron Hardin wrote:
For trimming a straight line, say under a fence or
against a wall, you can't beat a scythe.

Great idea. (I cut my lawn with a nonmotorized push reel mower).

But I use my string trimmer mostly for edging, and I don't think a
scythe would work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 6/8/2012 10:17 AM, frank1492 wrote:
I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without
the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in
most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.)
* * Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite?
* * Thanks.
* * * * Frank

simple to do. Take it apart and remove the springs from the clutch and
re-assemble.- Hide quoted text -

It probably surges because of the governor, not the carb. Most mowers
have a governor that tries to keep the rpm at one point even when the
mowing load varies. It will include some sort of "vane" that sticks
into the airflow created by the small blades on the top flywheel.

The engine can surge (gallop) also because of a dirty fuel filter,
dirty air filter, collapsing fuel line, faulty fuel cap vent, bad fuel
or such. (fuel starvation)

Just to add to other things to consider and check...