Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual metalworking question

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and front
blade with hydraulic raise/lower , and it needs some TLC . The mower deck
has a few spots that have rusted thru , and I'm trying to decide whether to
just double it up on top or cut out the affected areas and patch . I'm a
little leery of the cut/patch way , afraid of stresses from localized heat
causing warpage . If I double it up I can retain the original mounting holes
, use them to hold the patch while I heat and bend it to conform to the
curves . I have plenty of 11 gauge hr steel that will work just swell for
the deck repairs .
I didn't realize when I went to look at it how big it is , I'll be going
back tomorrow with a trailer to get the tractor itself . I figger if the
motor isn't locked up I can probably get it running fairly easily . Once I
get it to run I can get all the rest repaired as I can . I figger if I can
get away with under 300 bucks in parts for a running unit that has
everything working I'll be OK .
I think first priority will be getting the blade hydraulics sorted out ,
that's gonna come in real handy this winter . Well , if the talking heads
are right about the coming weather it sure will!
--
Snag