Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual metalworking question

Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 10/20/2014 9:05 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck
and front blade with hydraulic raise/lower , and it needs some TLC
. The mower deck has a few spots that have rusted thru , and I'm
trying to decide whether to just double it up on top or cut out the
affected areas and patch . I'm a little leery of the cut/patch way
, afraid of stresses from localized heat causing warpage . If I
double it up I can retain the original mounting holes , use them to
hold the patch while I heat and bend it to conform to the curves .
I have plenty of 11 gauge hr steel that will work just swell for
the deck repairs . I didn't realize when I went to look at it
how big it is , I'll be going back tomorrow with a trailer to get
the tractor itself . I figger if the motor isn't locked up I can
probably get it running fairly easily . Once I get it to run I can
get all the rest repaired as I can . I figger if I can get away
with under 300 bucks in parts for a running unit that has
everything working I'll be OK . I think first priority will be
getting the blade hydraulics sorted out , that's gonna come in real
handy this winter . Well , if the talking heads are right about the
coming weather it sure will! --
Snag

The mower deck on my old Deere rider had a rusted through hole. I
just pop riveted some similar sheet metal over it and it's been fine
for years. Then I fabricated a new double stack deck drive idler
pulley when the original one's integral bearings exploded. No place
in the area carries the correct blades so I just get ones that are
slightly too long and whack them to size with a cutoff wheel in the
angle grinder. Much more rewarding keeping a 40 year old mower
running than buying a new one.

Good points. And with the Deere when you get it - change the oil and
grease everything and change all filters. That will get you out on
a head start. You can bet the person didn't maintain it up to the
end. Driving with a grimy oil can do a number on you.

Don't forget to get the 'oil' for transmission and 'grease' for the
mower 'transmission'.

Martin - I have a series 1.

My rusty spots are right where the blade bearings mount , pop rivets ain't
gonna cut it here . I'll be researching the serial number when I get it home
, see just when it was made as that makes a difference in which motor it has
.. Later ones were better . I'm pretty optomistic , the guy's father in law
had the mower and supposedly used it lightly - but it's been sitting for an
unknown to me length of time . I too find it an enjoyable challenge to
keep old equipment running . And I'd bet this unit is better made than the
new stuff by a wide margin .

--
Snag