Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual metalworking question

On 10/20/2014 9:05 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and front
blade with hydraulic raise/lower , and it needs some TLC . The mower deck
has a few spots that have rusted thru , and I'm trying to decide whether to
just double it up on top or cut out the affected areas and patch . I'm a
little leery of the cut/patch way , afraid of stresses from localized heat
causing warpage . If I double it up I can retain the original mounting holes
, use them to hold the patch while I heat and bend it to conform to the
curves . I have plenty of 11 gauge hr steel that will work just swell for
the deck repairs .
I didn't realize when I went to look at it how big it is , I'll be going
back tomorrow with a trailer to get the tractor itself . I figger if the
motor isn't locked up I can probably get it running fairly easily . Once I
get it to run I can get all the rest repaired as I can . I figger if I can
get away with under 300 bucks in parts for a running unit that has
everything working I'll be OK .
I think first priority will be getting the blade hydraulics sorted out ,
that's gonna come in real handy this winter . Well , if the talking heads
are right about the coming weather it sure will!
--
Snag

The mower deck on my old Deere rider had a rusted through hole. I just
pop riveted some similar sheet metal over it and it's been fine for
years. Then I fabricated a new double stack deck drive idler pulley when
the original one's integral bearings exploded. No place in the area
carries the correct blades so I just get ones that are slightly too long
and whack them to size with a cutoff wheel in the angle grinder. Much
more rewarding keeping a 40 year old mower running than buying a new
one.

Good points. And with the Deere when you get it - change the oil and
grease everything and change all filters. That will get you out on
a head start. You can bet the person didn't maintain it up to the end.
Driving with a grimy oil can do a number on you.

Don't forget to get the 'oil' for transmission and 'grease' for the
mower 'transmission'.

Martin - I have a series 1.