Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual metalworking question

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

My rusty spots are right where the blade bearings mount , pop
rivets ain't gonna cut it here . I'll be researching the serial
number when I get it home , see just when it was made as that makes
a difference in which motor it has . Later ones were better . I'm
pretty optomistic , the guy's father in law had the mower and
supposedly used it lightly - but it's been sitting for an unknown
to me length of time . I too find it an enjoyable challenge to
keep old equipment running . And I'd bet this unit is better made
than the new stuff by a wide margin .

--
Snag

Maybe you could fit a flush patch and then bolt it in place with a
larger overlay, until you get around to welding all the the flush
patches. Before cutting out the rust I'd scribe some reference lines
on the deck and measure the existing hole pattern from them so it can
be reconstructed. Or make a hole pattern template from scrap sheet
metal.

I turn shouldered plugs that fit the existing holes snugly and have a
tap drill or transfer punch guide hole in the center. Two plugs is
enough to locate the template, then I clamp it and move the plugs to
mark more holes. That's how I raised the back of this office chair
with diamond-plate side brackets to make it an armless recliner that
fits under the keyboard shelf.

jsw