Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual metalworking question

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and
front blade with hydraulic raise/lower , and it needs some TLC . The
mower deck has a few spots that have rusted thru , and I'm trying to
decide whether to just double it up on top or cut out the affected
areas and patch . I'm a little leery of the cut/patch way , afraid
of stresses from localized heat causing warpage . If I double it up
I can retain the original mounting holes , use them to hold the
patch while I heat and bend it to conform to the curves . I have
plenty of 11 gauge hr steel that will work just swell for the deck
repairs .
I didn't realize when I went to look at it how big it is , I'll be
going back tomorrow with a trailer to get the tractor itself . I
figger if the motor isn't locked up I can probably get it running
fairly easily . Once I get it to run I can get all the rest repaired
as I can . I figger if I can get away with under 300 bucks in parts
for a running unit that has everything working I'll be OK .
I think first priority will be getting the blade hydraulics sorted
out , that's gonna come in real handy this winter . Well , if the
talking heads are right about the coming weather it sure will!
--
Snag

This warns about the original engine:
http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-trac...deere-317.html
"The early versions of the suffered from poor lubrication of the
connecting rod journals when operated on hill sides. An improved KT17
Series II engine was used starting at engine specification number
24300 in 1982."