Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual metalworking question

wrote:
On Monday, October 20, 2014 8:47:13 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and
front

blade with hydraulic raise/lower , and it needs some TLC .

Snag

You might try to find a good mower deck from a mover with a blown
engine. I have a Ariens mower deck that is in good condition that
you could have. I think you could adapt it easily.

The shipping is a killer. But you might find something close to you.

Dan

There's a guy about 25 miles from me that has a large inventory of used
parts - the problem as I understand it is to get him to let go ... This deck
is repairable , I have the material , the tools , and the time . The biggest
expense I've found so far is going to be tires , them puppies is expensive .
But the very first order of business is to make sure the motor runs . It
turns over smoothly and has compression , both good signs . I gotta figure
out how to get the starter off and get it working as a first step , then I
can see if it'll run . If it runs , I'll test the transmission - LR wheel is
off due to a trashed bearing and axle/hub splines. Once I know it runs and
the trans isn't trashed , I'll start throwing money at it . First
approximation of costs looks like around $300-$400 to get the problems all
fixed and new tires all round . No paint yet , but maybe later when it's
mechanically sound again . Lots of "barnyard repairs" on this machine , the
guy was apparently a function over form fellow . But nothing that can't be
fixed with time and a little material .

--
Snag