Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Tom Gardner...

Canon camera stuff?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/29/2014 8:30 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Canon camera stuff?

Gunner

A bunch of bodies, lenses, bellows, motor drive, filters...some as new
in OEM canon boxes with original receipts! I also have a color
enlarger. I will keep my 2-1/4 stuff for a little while yet unless it
could sell reasonably. I only shoot to document stuff anymore and a
digital will do. But nothing comes close to film for esthetics.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 17:33:08 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 9/29/2014 8:30 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Canon camera stuff?

Gunner

A bunch of bodies, lenses, bellows, motor drive, filters...some as new
in OEM canon boxes with original receipts! I also have a color
enlarger. I will keep my 2-1/4 stuff for a little while yet unless it
could sell reasonably.

If you have a 'Blad or a Maniya, you can get a Leaf digital back for
it. The fancy one is $12,000, but you can get the cheapie for $7,000.

I only shoot to document stuff anymore and a
digital will do. But nothing comes close to film for esthetics.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/29/2014 8:30 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Canon camera stuff?

Gunner

A bunch of bodies, lenses, bellows, motor drive, filters...some as new
in OEM canon boxes with original receipts! I also have a color
enlarger. I will keep my 2-1/4 stuff for a little while yet unless it
could sell reasonably. I only shoot to document stuff anymore and a
digital will do. But nothing comes close to film for esthetics.

Got a price/list?

Im of course interested. Depending on that pesky price of course.

Gunner, back from HellA a day early.

"But nothing comes close to film for esthetics"

Absolutely correct.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/29/2014 8:30 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Canon camera stuff?

Gunner

A bunch of bodies, lenses, bellows, motor drive, filters...some as new
in OEM canon boxes with original receipts! I also have a color
enlarger. I will keep my 2-1/4 stuff for a little while yet unless it
could sell reasonably.

If you have a 'Blad or a Maniya, you can get a Leaf digital back for
it. The fancy one is $12,000, but you can get the cheapie for $7,000.

I only shoot to document stuff anymore and a
digital will do. But nothing comes close to film for esthetics.

I consider digital cameras as throw-away conveniences. The most I spent
on one is $300 for a Fuji 5mp many years ago and I still like it a lot,
it has a good lens. I keep one in each vehicle and one in each desk. I
do shoot a half dozen rolls of 120 every year and keep one or two
slides...maybe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/29/2014 8:30 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Canon camera stuff?

Gunner

A bunch of bodies, lenses, bellows, motor drive, filters...some as new
in OEM canon boxes with original receipts! I also have a color
enlarger. I will keep my 2-1/4 stuff for a little while yet unless it
could sell reasonably. I only shoot to document stuff anymore and a
digital will do. But nothing comes close to film for esthetics.

Got a price/list?

Im of course interested. Depending on that pesky price of course.

Gunner, back from HellA a day early.

"But nothing comes close to film for esthetics"

Absolutely correct.

PJ O'Rourke

I'll assemble a list.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/29/2014 8:30 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Canon camera stuff?

Gunner

A bunch of bodies, lenses, bellows, motor drive, filters...some as new
in OEM canon boxes with original receipts! I also have a color
enlarger. I will keep my 2-1/4 stuff for a little while yet unless it
could sell reasonably. I only shoot to document stuff anymore and a
digital will do. But nothing comes close to film for esthetics.

Got a price/list?

Im of course interested. Depending on that pesky price of course.

Gunner, back from HellA a day early.

"But nothing comes close to film for esthetics"

Absolutely correct.

PJ O'Rourke

I'll assemble a list.

Kewl!!

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, well, for me, it's an essential part of my work. I resisted
digital as long as I could. bur I took my wife's little Fuji FinePix
on a business trip to Belgium last year, not wanting to lug bigger
cameras and not knowing whether I'd find film there, and the results
were at least as good as I'd get with my 35's.

So I bought a Sony NEX-7 when I got home ($1,200), got a converter for
my six Nikon lenses, and I haven't looked back since.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a Nikon camera (EM?) that I used to use a lot, both for
personal and project photography - havent seen it for several years.
Junior was working in a computer store when I expressed an interest
in digital photography so he brought me home a camera which I found to
be of no use - probably about 0.2mp resolution. Next effort was a 1.2
mp Kodak which made me quite happy. After the battery compartment door
catch failed (elastic band solved that for several months) I recieved
a Canon 3.2mp for Xmas. This camera proved quite satisfactory but yard
sales/thrift shops have provided a couple of HP cameras, HP-M517 @
5.2mp & HP-M425 @ 5.0mp for $3.00 & $1.95 respectively.
Now I can feel free to snap at will and throw away (yeah right!) 90%
of them. When grandaughters were here in August. I sent home a 8Gb
thumb drive of holiday pix with them.
When one of my aquarium residents developed a white spot, I took a
picture, printed it and took it in for diagnosis. no end to uses for
digital photography, I'm hooked!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they are very handy for many things. Now I'm even using my iPhone
5C for taking a lot of those utilitarian photos: 8 Mp, 5-element lens.
Holy cow.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Now that is an input - converter ? ! - what kind of lenses F or AF or...
Are they electronic Nikon ?

I have several electronic Nikon in AFS or what ever they are and quite
a number of F grade from my F and F3 Nikons.
My Fuji 2 FinPix uses AFS nicely and even the F lenses - had my 500mm on
the camera as a test. Nice being able to see the image in real time...
Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Love it.
How about hold it behind of the TV so you can see the connectors and
placement - so you can reach (almost blindly) and plug in something.

How about getting the part number / serial number of our Garbage disposal
from the wall side - to turn in an claim for repair.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It will only use Nikon lenses in a manual mode -- focus, stop-down
metering, and all. It's like 1970 all over again.

But my 55 mm Micro Nikkor macro and my 20 mm Nikkor are superb on the
NEX. All lenses made for 35 mm film cameras function as if they're
about 50% longer, so a 100 mm is like a 150 mm on a 35 SLR.

I have several electronic Nikon in AFS or what ever they are and quite
a number of F grade from my F and F3 Nikons.
My Fuji 2 FinPix uses AFS nicely and even the F lenses - had my 500mm on
the camera as a test. Nice being able to see the image in real time...
Martin

All of my Nikon lenses are pre-AI F-series -- oldies. The adapter will
handle most Nikon lenses but there are a couple of exceptions.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...65869850893362

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...65914046431842

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...65925261702482

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...65934082360418

The last time this portion of this boat was seen, was September, 1973

Taken through the ports in the deck of a Oday Daysailer 2 with a
digital camera ...by holding it deep inside and pressing the shutter
button, then downloading the data for a quick view in less than 3
minutes..walking time from the boat to the puter.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...66802602/Oday#

Digital cameras are indeed the wave of the future. But..some of us
prefer film for things of significance

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...03197075833426

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...13288874630834

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...21011614926866

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...22171999439730

etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/4/2014 10:37 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

So I bought a Sony NEX-7 when I got home ($1,200), got a converter for
my six Nikon lenses, and I haven't looked back since.

It's good not to let that wonderful glass go to waste.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 03:27:49 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/4/2014 10:37 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

So I bought a Sony NEX-7 when I got home ($1,200), got a converter for
my six Nikon lenses, and I haven't looked back since.

It's good not to let that wonderful glass go to waste.

Right. That was a big part of my decision-making on the camera. It
works well with a variety of old lenses.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-05, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 20:57:55 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[ ... ]

Now that is an input - converter ? ! - what kind of lenses F or AF or...
Are they electronic Nikon ?

It will only use Nikon lenses in a manual mode -- focus, stop-down
metering, and all. It's like 1970 all over again.

But my 55 mm Micro Nikkor macro and my 20 mm Nikkor are superb on the
NEX. All lenses made for 35 mm film cameras function as if they're
about 50% longer, so a 100 mm is like a 150 mm on a 35 SLR.

Common -- the 50% crop factor on (most of) the Nikon DSLRs, and
a couple of different ones on the Cannon DSLRs.

I have several electronic Nikon in AFS or what ever they are and quite
a number of F grade from my F and F3 Nikons.
My Fuji 2 FinPix uses AFS nicely and even the F lenses - had my 500mm on
the camera as a test. Nice being able to see the image in real time...
Martin

All of my Nikon lenses are pre-AI F-series -- oldies. The adapter will
handle most Nikon lenses but there are a couple of exceptions.

At a guess -- it would not like the original 8mm Fisheye (which
requires the mirror be locked up in the camera), and possibly the PC
(Perspective Correction) lens as well.

I like using a lot of weird old Nikon glass on my D300s,
including the "Medical Nikkor", which has a built-in ring flash, and
provisions for recording the reproduction ratio on the corner of the
film (unfortunately, outside the crop factor of the D300s. :-(

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6 Oct 2014 03:11:40 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-10-05, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 20:57:55 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Yeah, I think those are among the ones that don't work with a
converter, but I'd have to look at the list.

That Medical Nikkor you have is a pretty rare lens. I remember when a
few macro specialists used them.

Sony's NEX-7 has an APS-C chip and 24 megapixel resolution. It's a
good compromise for photojournalism and the camera is a lot more
compact than most DSLRs that use that chip. With a converter for my
old lenses, it's just about ideal for my work.

But the pocket digital cameras have gotten so good that I can carry
one of those for a backup. And the kit lens is a lot better than some
of the reviewers claim. Compare that to what I carried at trade shows
decades ago: two Nikon bodies, usually four lenses, two flash units,
and a flash meter. By the end of IMTS shows, for example, my suit had
a deep crease in the shoulder from the weight of my bag. Now, I hardly
notice the weight.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep - I have a bundle of F pre-AI, and then several since. The old set
was uses as I was an AFRS photag and took for the Hour Glass. But that
was a long time ago so I'm told.
The Fuji works well in auto mode, I set it in speed priority for the
fixed F-stop lens and most everything else in pseudo Manual mode.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hang onto those old lenses. If and when you decide to get an
interchangeable-lens digital camera, there's a good chance you'll find
an adapter for it.

Canon cameras are a problem with adapters, BTW, because of the
standoff distance on the cameras. I studied it like crazy before I
bought my Sony. It handles old Nikon lenses (and Minoltas, and Canons)
a lot better than current Nikon models. Panasonics are roughly the
same as Sonys.

If you get an adapter, spend a lot of time on the Web researching it.
You can pay from $30 to close to $300. I paid $50, and the one I got
(Fotodiox) is reputed to be as good as a Zeiss, which costs over $250.
So far, so good. It works perfectly.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-05, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 20:57:55 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[ ... ]

All of my Nikon lenses are pre-AI F-series -- oldies. The adapter will
handle most Nikon lenses but there are a couple of exceptions.

At a guess -- it would not like the original 8mm Fisheye (which
requires the mirror be locked up in the camera), and possibly the PC
(Perspective Correction) lens as well.

I like using a lot of weird old Nikon glass on my D300s,
including the "Medical Nikkor", which has a built-in ring flash, and
provisions for recording the reproduction ratio on the corner of the
film (unfortunately, outside the crop factor of the D300s. :-(

Enjoy,
DoN.

Yeah, I think those are among the ones that don't work with a
converter, but I'd have to look at the list.

Those are among the ones listed to not work on the D70 (now
retired) and the D300s.

That Medical Nikkor you have is a pretty rare lens. I remember when a
few macro specialists used them.

Yes. I actually have examples of two different models. The
first one had the ASA on the built-in exposure calculator maxing out at
100, and the D70 could not go that low, so I had to fudge it a bit.

The later one has the calculator going to 200 ASA and the D300S
will happily meet it in the middle

Also -- the earlier one I have only a AC powered flash pack for
it, while the newer one runs from *twelve* D cells. -- A bit more
portable, but expensive to feed. :-) (And the connectors are just enough
different so they won't talk to each other.

But they are really nice for macro work. Set on the proper
stack of front lenses for the magnification you want, set the ring to
that and the ASA, and it will set the aperture correct. (Of course, I
have to tell the camera to use a fixed ISO instead of fudging it to get
a better exposure -- since it doesn't know what the flash will be doing. :-)

Sony's NEX-7 has an APS-C chip and 24 megapixel resolution. It's a
good compromise for photojournalism and the camera is a lot more
compact than most DSLRs that use that chip. With a converter for my
old lenses, it's just about ideal for my work.

That -- and the zoom lenses are a lot better than they used to
be. (And the ones designed explicitly for the crop factor are even
lighter.

But the pocket digital cameras have gotten so good that I can carry
one of those for a backup. And the kit lens is a lot better than some
of the reviewers claim. Compare that to what I carried at trade shows
decades ago: two Nikon bodies, usually four lenses, two flash units,
and a flash meter. By the end of IMTS shows, for example, my suit had
a deep crease in the shoulder from the weight of my bag. Now, I hardly
notice the weight.

My cameras used to live in a metal-finished suitcsae. Three
Miranda F series bodies (up to the Sensormat), 50mm f:1.4 and f:1.8,
plus a 135mm f:3.5, a 135mm short mount, a bellows and some extension
tubes a meter and some teleconveters. Later add a 21mm f2.8 lens and a
pseudo fisheye by Accura. Oh yes -- and in a separate box all its own,
a 500mm f:8 mirror lens with slide-in filters to stop down to f:11 or
f:16 if you needed to. (obviously, no depth of field benefit from a
neutral density filter, but .... :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh you are talking about 'active' adapters not simply 'rings'.

Why I liked the Fuji since it is an F bayonet I was able to go right on.

I got a nice C-mount camera that is USB and has of all things a pro
movie camera lens and a C to M adapter between them. I plan on camera
shots of microscope mode of hundreds of classified 'sea shell' using my
Nikon magnifying 'filter' lenses and a screw on magnifying lens and a
reducing (-mag) lens. Various modes should get my focus on the size I
need.

Martin

Ping Tom Gardner: Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 2 April 16th 13 08:48 AM
Ping: Tom Gardner Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 1 October 3rd 09 05:00 AM
PING: Tom Gardner Anthony Metalworking 0 April 13th 06 10:35 PM
Ping Tom Gardner Gunner Metalworking 1 February 12th 06 03:05 AM
Ping Tom Gardner Gunner Metalworking 5 December 1st 04 06:47 PM