Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for someone to make me some parts...

Here are the very basics of what I need. If you know someone who can
offer it, please let me know and I'll put you or the contact in touch
with my engineer / purchasing guy to see if we can place an order. He
will provide drawings and better specs.

DOM tubing - steel

2.750" ID +/- 0.001" (prefer 0.0005")

3.000" OD

5.430" length per part.

Hard Chome Plating inside prior to honing will likely be necessary.

I don't care if the folks do it in 40' lengths and then part it to
length or if they do it piece by piece... I simply need the parts
made and am doing all I can to stay out of Asia for these... HELP!?!

Quantities are not huge, but not 5 pc. orders either. We would
probably order around 250 pcs. on an order after seeing proof of
quality.

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

Here are the very basics of what I need. If you know someone who can
offer it, please let me know and I'll put you or the contact in touch
with my engineer / purchasing guy to see if we can place an order. He
will provide drawings and better specs.

DOM tubing - steel

2.750" ID +/- 0.001" (prefer 0.0005")

3.000" OD

5.430" length per part.

Hard Chome Plating inside prior to honing will likely be necessary.

I don't care if the folks do it in 40' lengths and then part it to
length or if they do it piece by piece... I simply need the parts
made and am doing all I can to stay out of Asia for these... HELP!?!

Quantities are not huge, but not 5 pc. orders either. We would
probably order around 250 pcs. on an order after seeing proof of
quality.

Isn't that basically hydraulic cylinder tubing which I believe is
available off the shelf and not very expensive?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

A quick search show 2.750" ID and 3.125" OD honed hydraulic cylinder
tubing is a standard stock item. http://www.teamtubellc.com under honed
tubing is one example.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:24:01 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

Yep. +/- 0.005" Can't use it on a precision machine like mine. Works
fine for push-pull, but not for a quality drill spindle cylinder.

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:31:33 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

2.745" to 2.755" is their range. Unacceptable for what I need.

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

A quick search show 2.750" ID and 3.125" OD honed hydraulic cylinder
tubing is a standard stock item. http://www.teamtubellc.com under
honed
tubing is one example.

While a hydraulic cylinder rebuilder was proudly showing me the large
honing machine he had designed, he mentioned that the requirement is
for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The seals have
relatively a lot of compliance.

Here's another tubing supplier:
http://www.baileynet.com/
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:ln5941$2os$1
@dont-email.me:

While a hydraulic cylinder rebuilder was proudly showing me the large
honing machine he had designed, he mentioned that the requirement is
for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The seals have
relatively a lot of compliance.

Smoothness (only) can be accomplished with a simple flexible hone or the
older standard "cylinder hone" with a flexing frame and solid 'bone style'
grit bars. It must not have been much of a machine to simply move a hone
back and forth! That could be done with one long cylinder a valve, and two
limit switches. (and it would probably be straight, if not round)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
@dont-email.me:

While a hydraulic cylinder rebuilder was proudly showing me the
large
honing machine he had designed, he mentioned that the requirement
is
for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The seals have
relatively a lot of compliance.

Smoothness (only) can be accomplished with a simple flexible hone or
the
older standard "cylinder hone" with a flexing frame and solid 'bone
style'
grit bars. It must not have been much of a machine to simply move a
hone
back and forth! That could be done with one long cylinder a valve,
and two
limit switches. (and it would probably be straight, if not round)

Lloyd

That thing was big enough to hone artillery barrels.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:ln5erp$d7l$1
@dont-email.me:

That thing was big enough to hone artillery barrels.

So? You don't 'build' such a simple machine, you buy off-the-shelf parts
and just 'install' them.

I know from 'simple'. I try to make all my machines that way.

He was just braggin' because it was BIG, but not such a big deal.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It must not have been much of a machine to simply move a hone
back and forth! That could be done with one long cylinder a valve,
and two
limit switches. (and it would probably be straight, if not round)

Lloyd

I spent a couple of years of apprenticeship on the nitty-gritty of
designing large accurate machines, meaning those with structural
members too large to drill and mill precisely at one clamping on the
Bridgeport. I can locate holes to 0.005" manually without too high a
scrap rate.

I used one of those tricks last week to open up the hole through an
irregular-shaped part.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.70...
@dont-email.me:

That thing was big enough to hone artillery barrels.

So? You don't 'build' such a simple machine, you buy off-the-shelf
parts
and just 'install' them.

I know from 'simple'. I try to make all my machines that way.

He was just braggin' because it was BIG, but not such a big deal.

Lloyd

That's relative to your experience, skill and equipment. Long straight
ways are still a challenge to make and test, otherwise we'd be
reconditioning more old worn machinery. Thomson Rod doesn't easily
correct a misaligned frame.

Besides, I'm not hostile to people who try to help. He sold me the
control valve I needed for my bucket loader cheap. I just had to make
an adjustable pressure relief for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:ln5icg$dq$1
@dont-email.me:

Besides, I'm not hostile to people who try to help

Don't misunderstand me: It's probably an eminently _useful_ machine --
just not a huge chore to design and build.

I guess, if it were all _that_ easy, everyone would build one; no?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

That thing was big enough to hone artillery barrels.

So? You don't 'build' such a simple machine, you buy off-the-shelf parts
and just 'install' them.

I know from 'simple'. I try to make all my machines that way.

He was just braggin' because it was BIG, but not such a big deal.

Lloyd

I have no idea how elaborate that guy's hone was, but I can assure you
that large production hones are more than "one long cylinder a valve,
and two limit switches." I've modernized and tooled a couple of these:
http://www.networkintl.com/lotdetail.aspx?lot_id=124825

They're not conceptually complicated machines, but not something
thrown together from off-the-shelf parts, either.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons fired this volley in
:

They're not conceptually complicated machines, but not something
thrown together from off-the-shelf parts, either.

Commercial ones. But the implication was that he built this himself, not
very precisely.

Unless he has a foundry out back, likely he used stock parts.

He also made obeisance to the OP of the fact that it wasn't very precise,
just "smooth".

You did read all that, right? Your comment was in that context?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

[...]

The frame on this one is a welded truss which made alignment
difficult.

The weldor at the company where I learned custom machinery fabrication
was a very experienced (and grumpy) old pro who could weld anything
but he couldn't prevent hot metal from shrinking, so we had to do all
the layout and drilling on the finished frames.

By the time they moved me into drafting to design the structures and
circuits I'd learned how to bend sheetmetal and not to commit the
beginner errors that make assembly twice as hard as necessary.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Ned Simmons fired this volley in
:

They're not conceptually complicated machines, but not something
thrown together from off-the-shelf parts, either.

Commercial ones. But the implication was that he built this
himself, not
very precisely.

Unless he has a foundry out back, likely he used stock parts.

He also made obeisance to the OP of the fact that it wasn't very
precise,
just "smooth".

You did read all that, right? Your comment was in that context?

Lloyd

I couldn't tell how precise it is. He showed me his projects after I
asked for help with parts for my homebrew hydraulic bucket loader. The
guy is well regarded and very busy during snowplowing and construction
seasons.

Why do you have to belittle the accomplishments you haven't seen of
people you don't know?
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 20:08:35 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ned Simmons fired this volley in
:

They're not conceptually complicated machines, but not something
thrown together from off-the-shelf parts, either.

Commercial ones. But the implication was that he built this himself, not
very precisely.

Unless he has a foundry out back, likely he used stock parts.

He also made obeisance to the OP of the fact that it wasn't very precise,
just "smooth".

You did read all that, right? Your comment was in that context?

Lloyd

No, I don't see anything of the sort up-thread. The closest I see is,
"the requirement is for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The
seals have relatively a lot of compliance." That's a description of
what's required in a hydraulic cylinder bore and says nothing about
the construction of the hone. Even the commercial machines can't do
much to improve straightness and roundness. There are some tricks to
make minor corrections, but they're tedious and require a fair amount
of skill and experience on the part of the operator, not any special
capabilities of the machine.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:45:14 PM UTC-7, Jim Wilkins wrote:

. 3.70...

[...]

Loud stopped learning a long time ago. This is especially true when it comes to CAD where he can't grasp the need for solid modeling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

No, I don't see anything of the sort up-thread. The closest I see
is,
"the requirement is for smoothness, not straightness or roundness.
The
seals have relatively a lot of compliance." That's a description of
what's required in a hydraulic cylinder bore and says nothing about
the construction of the hone. Even the commercial machines can't do
much to improve straightness and roundness. There are some tricks to
make minor corrections, but they're tedious and require a fair
amount
of skill and experience on the part of the operator, not any special
capabilities of the machine.

--
Ned Simmons

I was really disappointed to discover this because I had hoped
cylinder rebuilding shops could clean up engine and pump cylinders
larger than what my small and worn machine tools can handle. It looks
like they won't substitute for line boring.

I did come away with some nice large slugs of piston rod stock
cut-offs. Carbide cuts through the surface hardening so I can groove
the rod with an HSS bit to get a reference surface for chucking and
then saw off the piece on the bandsaw. Whatever the steel is, it
threads cleanly.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

Loud stopped learning a long time ago. This is especially true when
it comes to CAD where he can't grasp the need for solid modeling.

I can't speak for LS but I've noticed that old folks like me who
learned paper drafting can do the 3D solid modeling pretty well in our
heads, as that was part of our training and practice exercises. I was
only in 7th grade but my buddy whose father was an architect was very
competitive so we both paid close attention and tried to outdo each
other. The elective class had no disruptive clowns, only serious
students who wanted to learn.

At Segway the younger industrial designers loved Solidworks and the
rapid prototype machine, the older MEs carved their prototypes in
metal on the CNC Bridgeport. Personally I draw and dimension the areas
that interface with other parts and sculpt the rest on the fly while
machining it.

Some of the CAD designs I've examined were physically impossible and
the designer couldn't see why. Like a spellchecker the computer didn't
correct mist steaks that parsed to something unintended, for example a
box whose corners don't align but the line width hides the gap. The
CAD tool I used to design circuit boards had no problem with a 1" hole
through a 3/4" bar unless I carefully edited the matrix of clearance
rules.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

I can run them off for you. I should have a mandrel for the sunnen 1801.

john
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, was in Africa doing some touring and even a bit of metalworking
(had to cut stainless steel rods for a well project - by hand - no
collant - outside.) See photo links below if you'd like...

e-mail me directly or reply with some sort of contact info if you
would like to quote the parts for us.

Here are the photo links:

Here are some links to the photos we took while in Ghana. You should
be able to see them even if you do not have Facebook.

This was 80% vacation, 20% mission.... With the mission being us
connecting with people I know and fixing a clean water well that had
failed. Glad to report we had success on both.

I'm sending this generic message because I'm swamped with 1900
customer e-mails. I may not check back here anytime this or next
week.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=61732abf13
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=f5cd9eaaef
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3d9d11b3ca