Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Looking for someone to make me some parts...

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 20:08:35 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ned Simmons fired this volley in
:

They're not conceptually complicated machines, but not something
thrown together from off-the-shelf parts, either.

Commercial ones. But the implication was that he built this himself, not
very precisely.

Unless he has a foundry out back, likely he used stock parts.

He also made obeisance to the OP of the fact that it wasn't very precise,
just "smooth".

You did read all that, right? Your comment was in that context?

Lloyd

No, I don't see anything of the sort up-thread. The closest I see is,
"the requirement is for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The
seals have relatively a lot of compliance." That's a description of
what's required in a hydraulic cylinder bore and says nothing about
the construction of the hone. Even the commercial machines can't do
much to improve straightness and roundness. There are some tricks to
make minor corrections, but they're tedious and require a fair amount
of skill and experience on the part of the operator, not any special
capabilities of the machine.

--
Ned Simmons