Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for someone to make me some parts...

Here are the very basics of what I need. If you know someone who can
offer it, please let me know and I'll put you or the contact in touch
with my engineer / purchasing guy to see if we can place an order. He
will provide drawings and better specs.

DOM tubing - steel

2.750" ID +/- 0.001" (prefer 0.0005")

3.000" OD

5.430" length per part.

Hard Chome Plating inside prior to honing will likely be necessary.

I don't care if the folks do it in 40' lengths and then part it to
length or if they do it piece by piece... I simply need the parts
made and am doing all I can to stay out of Asia for these... HELP!?!

Quantities are not huge, but not 5 pc. orders either. We would
probably order around 250 pcs. on an order after seeing proof of
quality.

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

Here are the very basics of what I need. If you know someone who can
offer it, please let me know and I'll put you or the contact in touch
with my engineer / purchasing guy to see if we can place an order. He
will provide drawings and better specs.

DOM tubing - steel

2.750" ID +/- 0.001" (prefer 0.0005")

3.000" OD

5.430" length per part.

Hard Chome Plating inside prior to honing will likely be necessary.

I don't care if the folks do it in 40' lengths and then part it to
length or if they do it piece by piece... I simply need the parts
made and am doing all I can to stay out of Asia for these... HELP!?!

Quantities are not huge, but not 5 pc. orders either. We would
probably order around 250 pcs. on an order after seeing proof of
quality.

Isn't that basically hydraulic cylinder tubing which I believe is
available off the shelf and not very expensive?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

A quick search show 2.750" ID and 3.125" OD honed hydraulic cylinder
tubing is a standard stock item. http://www.teamtubellc.com under honed
tubing is one example.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:31:33 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

2.745" to 2.755" is their range. Unacceptable for what I need.

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

A quick search show 2.750" ID and 3.125" OD honed hydraulic cylinder
tubing is a standard stock item. http://www.teamtubellc.com under
honed
tubing is one example.

While a hydraulic cylinder rebuilder was proudly showing me the large
honing machine he had designed, he mentioned that the requirement is
for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The seals have
relatively a lot of compliance.

Here's another tubing supplier:
http://www.baileynet.com/
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:ln5941$2os$1
@dont-email.me:

While a hydraulic cylinder rebuilder was proudly showing me the large
honing machine he had designed, he mentioned that the requirement is
for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The seals have
relatively a lot of compliance.

Smoothness (only) can be accomplished with a simple flexible hone or the
older standard "cylinder hone" with a flexing frame and solid 'bone style'
grit bars. It must not have been much of a machine to simply move a hone
back and forth! That could be done with one long cylinder a valve, and two
limit switches. (and it would probably be straight, if not round)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
@dont-email.me:

While a hydraulic cylinder rebuilder was proudly showing me the
large
honing machine he had designed, he mentioned that the requirement
is
for smoothness, not straightness or roundness. The seals have
relatively a lot of compliance.

Smoothness (only) can be accomplished with a simple flexible hone or
the
older standard "cylinder hone" with a flexing frame and solid 'bone
style'
grit bars. It must not have been much of a machine to simply move a
hone
back and forth! That could be done with one long cylinder a valve,
and two
limit switches. (and it would probably be straight, if not round)

Lloyd

That thing was big enough to hone artillery barrels.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It must not have been much of a machine to simply move a hone
back and forth! That could be done with one long cylinder a valve,
and two
limit switches. (and it would probably be straight, if not round)

Lloyd

I spent a couple of years of apprenticeship on the nitty-gritty of
designing large accurate machines, meaning those with structural
members too large to drill and mill precisely at one clamping on the
Bridgeport. I can locate holes to 0.005" manually without too high a
scrap rate.

I used one of those tricks last week to open up the hole through an
irregular-shaped part.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:24:01 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

Yep. +/- 0.005" Can't use it on a precision machine like mine. Works
fine for push-pull, but not for a quality drill spindle cylinder.

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

I can run them off for you. I should have a mandrel for the sunnen 1801.

john

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Joe \"Dufu\" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, was in Africa doing some touring and even a bit of metalworking
(had to cut stainless steel rods for a well project - by hand - no
collant - outside.) See photo links below if you'd like...

e-mail me directly or reply with some sort of contact info if you
would like to quote the parts for us.

Here are the photo links:

Here are some links to the photos we took while in Ghana. You should
be able to see them even if you do not have Facebook.

This was 80% vacation, 20% mission.... With the mission being us
connecting with people I know and fixing a clean water well that had
failed. Glad to report we had success on both.

I'm sending this generic message because I'm swamped with 1900
customer e-mails. I may not check back here anytime this or next
week.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=61732abf13
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=f5cd9eaaef
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3d9d11b3ca