Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for someone to make me some parts...

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

No, I don't see anything of the sort up-thread. The closest I see
is,
"the requirement is for smoothness, not straightness or roundness.
The
seals have relatively a lot of compliance." That's a description of
what's required in a hydraulic cylinder bore and says nothing about
the construction of the hone. Even the commercial machines can't do
much to improve straightness and roundness. There are some tricks to
make minor corrections, but they're tedious and require a fair
amount
of skill and experience on the part of the operator, not any special
capabilities of the machine.

--
Ned Simmons

I was really disappointed to discover this because I had hoped
cylinder rebuilding shops could clean up engine and pump cylinders
larger than what my small and worn machine tools can handle. It looks
like they won't substitute for line boring.

I did come away with some nice large slugs of piston rod stock
cut-offs. Carbide cuts through the surface hardening so I can groove
the rod with an HSS bit to get a reference surface for chucking and
then saw off the piece on the bandsaw. Whatever the steel is, it
threads cleanly.
-jsw