Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New compressor head

Well, seven years AFTER I rescued a Jacksonville Air Products 5HP
compressor from being hauled for scrap (just needed a new motor
bearing!), It finally threw a rod bearing. It was about 20 years old,
and had lived a hard life of lots of moisture accumulation, due to living
outdoors (unsheltered) for 13 years until I got it. I was faithful about
changing oil, but it had endured a lot before I got it. Noisy as hell
from day-1, but not worth completely re-building, because it had a
Chinese pump.

So I replaced the head with a new Eaton 2-stage 5HP 24 SCFM pump. It'll
do 17 SCFM at 175psi, and I'm only running the tank at 145. We don't use
a lot of air, so that's all we need. It's mostly for machine control and
the occaisional blow-off or painting job.

This is SO WEIRD! I've never actually heard the electric motor running
before! I've got to get used to some new sounds. You can actually carry
on a normal conversation 5' away from this thing while it's running. G

We used to have to run out of the shop if we were on a cell phone call
when it came on. Now we can walk right by it and keep talking. I don't
think I've ever heard a pump this quiet.

Man! If I'd known then...

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 07:28:00 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Well, seven years AFTER I rescued a Jacksonville Air Products 5HP
compressor from being hauled for scrap (just needed a new motor
bearing!), It finally threw a rod bearing. It was about 20 years old,
and had lived a hard life of lots of moisture accumulation, due to living
outdoors (unsheltered) for 13 years until I got it. I was faithful about
changing oil, but it had endured a lot before I got it. Noisy as hell
from day-1, but not worth completely re-building, because it had a
Chinese pump.

So I replaced the head with a new Eaton 2-stage 5HP 24 SCFM pump. It'll
do 17 SCFM at 175psi, and I'm only running the tank at 145. We don't use
a lot of air, so that's all we need. It's mostly for machine control and
the occaisional blow-off or painting job.

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

This is SO WEIRD! I've never actually heard the electric motor running
before! I've got to get used to some new sounds. You can actually carry
on a normal conversation 5' away from this thing while it's running. G

We used to have to run out of the shop if we were on a cell phone call
when it came on. Now we can walk right by it and keep talking. I don't
think I've ever heard a pump this quiet.

Man! If I'd known then...

Aren't those wonderful? Now add a baffle of some sort on the intake
and you'll lose even more sound. The valving is the loudest part.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

Um, Larry? That's not a lot of air to feed a shop with ten machine
stations.

It's got paper filters on both intakes, along with filter cans, so it
doesn't make a lot of intake noise -- just a light "puffing" noise.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

(Grin)

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:16:34 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

Lloyd

Hunt around for another tank with a blown compressor on it and use the
tank for reserve air. It makes a huge! difference when using air
intensive tools. If you dont want to fill it up every day..simply put
a valve on it and leave it turned off until you need it. Open the
valve..let her fill and voila!

Ive installed 500 gallon air tanks in shops just for that reason and
its worked out well.

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Hunt around for another tank with a blown compressor on it and use the
tank for reserve air. It makes a huge! difference when using air
intensive tools. If you dont want to fill it up every day..simply put
a valve on it and leave it turned off until you need it. Open the
valve..let her fill and voila!

Ive installed 500 gallon air tanks in shops just for that reason and
its worked out well.

That would not work in this situation, Gunner. We already have a 100-
gallon tank on the unit, and we do have a couple of spare tanks on
dolleys with fittings we can plumb in right at the point of use as we
need them for really intensive use for short times (like sand/bead
blasting).

The problem is that those two presses working together use about 18CFM,
and when they're in use it's pretty much continuous for 5-6 hours. So
that leaves us little overhead for the rest of the shop.

I'll just stick in another compressor if we exceed that level of use.
Cheap solution in the long run, and it isolates use to the tools that
need the extra air, instead of sharing it all. It would also give us a
modicum of backup we don't have now, except for a little 8CFM roll-around
portable we keep for 'emergencies'. Added compressor, a couple of
transfer valves, and Bob's your uncle.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:16:34 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

Lloyd

Hunt around for another tank with a blown compressor on it and use the
tank for reserve air. It makes a huge! difference when using air
intensive tools. If you dont want to fill it up every day..simply put
a valve on it and leave it turned off until you need it. Open the
valve..let her fill and voila!

Ive installed 500 gallon air tanks in shops just for that reason and
its worked out well.

Gunner

500 gallons pfft... The Amish farm up the road has 3, 1000 gallon air
tanks on the roof of the powerhouse. They use air for the water pumps
and some other uses. The powerhouse itself is a block building about
12X12. Inside it there is a frame with a Yanmar diesel on one end and a
powered shaft down the middle. To those rails are mounted a BIG air
compressor head, a vacuum pump (for the pot milker system), a cooler
compressor head for the bulk tank, and a couple of GM alternators for
charging the batteries used on the buggies.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:lm8b52$c2i$1
@dont-email.me:

500 gallons pfft... The Amish farm up the road has 3, 1000 gallon air
tanks on the roof of the powerhouse.

yeah! (despite the fact that they eschew grid power, they still use
electricity, now don't they? G)

In Cat Lo (RVN), they had four 12V71-powered scroll compressors running
the sandblasting shop where they stripped Swift Boats for re-painting.
There must've been at least 10K gallons of vertical storage tanks outside
that tin barn. BIG suckers... 5' in diameter, 20' tall. They looked
like silos. I think I recall them being 3K or 4K gallons each.

When it came time to repaint a boat, the crew got to be the new grit-
masters! G They didn't let us do the actual painting, but they sure
did like to pawn off the sandblasting job. Bad choice in some cases,
because a lot of guys would blow holes in the skin, WHICH then required
the weldor to come in, etc, etc. And who knows how many thin spots they
left? G

I can remember those guns, and they must've had 2" nozzles!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Steve W." fired this volley in news:lm8b52$c2i$1
@dont-email.me:

500 gallons pfft... The Amish farm up the road has 3, 1000 gallon air
tanks on the roof of the powerhouse.

yeah! (despite the fact that they eschew grid power, they still use
electricity, now don't they? G)

The locals don't use electric power unless they just bought a place and
are converting it. Gas lighting and wood heat/cooking for most.

They use batteries on the buggies for lights but other than that no
electric power.

The ones on the other side of the river are even stricter. They don't
use gas lighting only candles or oil lamps. Hand milking, horse only
field power and very few implements. No lights on the buggies (once in a
while a forward facing lantern)

In Cat Lo (RVN), they had four 12V71-powered scroll compressors running
the sandblasting shop where they stripped Swift Boats for re-painting.
There must've been at least 10K gallons of vertical storage tanks outside
that tin barn. BIG suckers... 5' in diameter, 20' tall. They looked
like silos. I think I recall them being 3K or 4K gallons each.

When it came time to repaint a boat, the crew got to be the new grit-
masters! G They didn't let us do the actual painting, but they sure
did like to pawn off the sandblasting job. Bad choice in some cases,
because a lot of guys would blow holes in the skin, WHICH then required
the weldor to come in, etc, etc. And who knows how many thin spots they
left? G

I can remember those guns, and they must've had 2" nozzles!

Lloyd

Blasting is OK but you can do serious damage if your a novice...
It's why blasting on cars can be a major issue.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:lm8jpn$vtd$1
@dont-email.me:

The ones on the other side of the river are even stricter. They don't
use gas lighting only candles or oil lamps. Hand milking, horse only
field power and very few implements. No lights on the buggies (once in

while a forward facing lantern)

Yeah... I know. Old Order. We lived as Amish (Beachy) for four years.
Except for the 'regular' Old Order and Schwartzentruber Old Order groups,
most of the rest use/do whatever's convenient. (Like, say, 'The Black
Bumper' sect. It's OK to drive a car, so long as you paint all the
chrome black... G)

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 16:30:21 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

The problem is that those two presses working together use about 18CFM,
and when they're in use it's pretty much continuous for 5-6 hours.

ah! Never mind then.
Need a screw compressor .

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

Lloyd

let me know if you need to buy a 10 HP Quincy compressor. QR-25 350 pump.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-29, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:16:34 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
m:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

Lloyd

Hunt around for another tank with a blown compressor on it and use the
tank for reserve air. It makes a huge! difference when using air
intensive tools. If you dont want to fill it up every day..simply put
a valve on it and leave it turned off until you need it. Open the
valve..let her fill and voila!

Ive installed 500 gallon air tanks in shops just for that reason and
its worked out well.

We just installed an additional 160 gallon tank for this reason.

Partly it was motivated because I finally found a 48x48 sand blasting
cabinet that I could afford.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:15:07 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

Um, Larry? That's not a lot of air to feed a shop with ten machine
stations.

OK, but that info wasn't in the original post. I agree.

It's got paper filters on both intakes, along with filter cans, so it
doesn't make a lot of intake noise -- just a light "puffing" noise.

Those do a good job at reducing intake noise. Ayup, you're covered.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:16:34 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

I'll bet. Using 2 paint guns at once would, too.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 14:09:50 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2014 08:16:34 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
m:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

Lloyd

Hunt around for another tank with a blown compressor on it and use the
tank for reserve air. It makes a huge! difference when using air
intensive tools. If you dont want to fill it up every day..simply put
a valve on it and leave it turned off until you need it. Open the
valve..let her fill and voila!

Ive installed 500 gallon air tanks in shops just for that reason and
its worked out well.

I have a couple of little 5gal air pigs I connect to mine for more
air, and it helped me spray my closet doors. The tips weren't right,
so I ended up warming the paint plus Floetrol after a 10% thinning,
and it went on a bit better. Now that I have the airless, I'll use
that in the future for furniture and larger jobs. The little Krause &
Becker sprayers from HF are just wonderful! It cost just $149.25 with
coupon while on sale, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I sprayed
an entire house and garage in a few hours (after 2 half-days of
masking.) It paid for itself in that job alone. The 15gal paint job
on a triplex fence paid for the pressure washer and the airless made
my life a whole lot easier. 'Twas 625lf of fence, and one medium coat
covered it well.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 21:52:52 -0500, Ignoramus6493
wrote:

On 2014-05-29, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Ive got an extra 150 for my big Trico blast cabinet as well.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 21:52:01 -0500, Ignoramus6493

On 2014-05-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You -don't- use much air so you bought a 24scfm pump? Um, OK.

PS... we have two air presses. We don't use them very often, but when
they're both in service at once, we max out that 24cfm pretty easily.

Lloyd

let me know if you need to buy a 10 HP Quincy compressor. QR-25 350 pump.

The QR-25 is a good pump. Its US made. The 30 (IRRC) is Chinese made
and sucks!

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/29/2014 5:09 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I agree but tanks are never cheap, even with a blown pump. I had to
make one from PVC pipe!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-05-29, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I have this extra air tank on a solenoid controlled valve. This way, I
use it only when it is actually needed. I do not have to pump it full
every morning.

The valve is solenoid controlled because the tank (and dryer) is on a shelf above
the compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-30, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I agree but tanks are never cheap, even with a blown pump. I had to
make one from PVC pipe!

Joke taken, but I paid $40 for my 160 gallon tank. It had a huge,
weird mounting base, thatI scrapped and got my money back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25175 fired this volley in
:

Joke taken, but I paid $40 for my 160 gallon tank. It had a huge,
weird mounting base, thatI scrapped and got my money back.

They come and they go. I got one that was never used, hot-dip galvanized
_inside_ as well as out (including the threaded fittings, which had to be
chased), and 100-gallons, just for the hauling. The woman who had the
facility just "wanted it out". I didn't even know they galvanized them on
the insides.

You just have to keep your eyes out. What goes to the scrap yard
_becomes_ scrap very shortly after, even if they don't crush it. You've
got to stop it before it gets there.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-30, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25175 fired this volley in
:

Joke taken, but I paid $40 for my 160 gallon tank. It had a huge,
weird mounting base, thatI scrapped and got my money back.

They come and they go. I got one that was never used, hot-dip galvanized
_inside_ as well as out (including the threaded fittings, which had to be
chased), and 100-gallons, just for the hauling. The woman who had the
facility just "wanted it out". I didn't even know they galvanized them on
the insides.

You just have to keep your eyes out. What goes to the scrap yard
_becomes_ scrap very shortly after, even if they don't crush it. You've
got to stop it before it gets there.

Lloyd, did that galvanized tank have an ASME label?

I have a huge 500 gallon galvanized vertical tank in my yard right
now. It looks great and seems well constructed, however it used to
hold water, not air, and has no ASME label. The water pressure gauge
on it is graduated only to 30 PSI. Consequently, I believe that this
particular tank is not suitable for compressed air service. This is
what made me ask my question.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 11:32:05 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Blink blink......blink....

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25175 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, did that galvanized tank have an ASME label?

Yep. Didn't change the price at all! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

g You li'l ****-stirrer, you!

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2014 21:52:01 -0500, Ignoramus6493
wrote:

[ ... ]

let me know if you need to buy a 10 HP Quincy compressor. QR-25 350 pump.

The QR-25 is a good pump. Its US made. The 30 (IRRC) is Chinese made
and sucks!

Well ... isn't that half the job of an air compressor (or a
vacuum cleaner)? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--