Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New compressor head

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Hunt around for another tank with a blown compressor on it and use the
tank for reserve air. It makes a huge! difference when using air
intensive tools. If you dont want to fill it up every day..simply put
a valve on it and leave it turned off until you need it. Open the
valve..let her fill and voila!

Ive installed 500 gallon air tanks in shops just for that reason and
its worked out well.

That would not work in this situation, Gunner. We already have a 100-
gallon tank on the unit, and we do have a couple of spare tanks on
dolleys with fittings we can plumb in right at the point of use as we
need them for really intensive use for short times (like sand/bead
blasting).

The problem is that those two presses working together use about 18CFM,
and when they're in use it's pretty much continuous for 5-6 hours. So
that leaves us little overhead for the rest of the shop.

I'll just stick in another compressor if we exceed that level of use.
Cheap solution in the long run, and it isolates use to the tools that
need the extra air, instead of sharing it all. It would also give us a
modicum of backup we don't have now, except for a little 8CFM roll-around
portable we keep for 'emergencies'. Added compressor, a couple of
transfer valves, and Bob's your uncle.

Lloyd