Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New compressor head

Well, seven years AFTER I rescued a Jacksonville Air Products 5HP
compressor from being hauled for scrap (just needed a new motor
bearing!), It finally threw a rod bearing. It was about 20 years old,
and had lived a hard life of lots of moisture accumulation, due to living
outdoors (unsheltered) for 13 years until I got it. I was faithful about
changing oil, but it had endured a lot before I got it. Noisy as hell
from day-1, but not worth completely re-building, because it had a
Chinese pump.

So I replaced the head with a new Eaton 2-stage 5HP 24 SCFM pump. It'll
do 17 SCFM at 175psi, and I'm only running the tank at 145. We don't use
a lot of air, so that's all we need. It's mostly for machine control and
the occaisional blow-off or painting job.

This is SO WEIRD! I've never actually heard the electric motor running
before! I've got to get used to some new sounds. You can actually carry
on a normal conversation 5' away from this thing while it's running. G

We used to have to run out of the shop if we were on a cell phone call
when it came on. Now we can walk right by it and keep talking. I don't
think I've ever heard a pump this quiet.

Man! If I'd known then...

Lloyd