Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rong Fu parts..

Guy showed up here the other day asking if I
could repair the table lead screw nuts for a
RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was
stripped out and the other was almost there.
He got it from a school shop and looks like
it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why
the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from
Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net
he says so I looked but nope, none. They are
7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but
nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of
a source this nut? It would be easier to weld it
to a flat bar to make the mill useable anyway.
Or spend time to make two of them on the
lathe. Time is money...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:55:25 PM UTC-8, Phil Kangas wrote:
Guy showed up here the other day asking if I

could repair the table lead screw nuts for a

RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was

stripped out and the other was almost there.

He got it from a school shop and looks like

it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why

the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from

Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net

he says so I looked but nope, none. They are

7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but

nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of

a source this nut? It would be easier to weld it

to a flat bar to make the mill useable anyway.

Or spend time to make two of them on the

lathe. Time is money...

Try Penn Tool

http://www.penntoolco.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:55:25 PM UTC-5, Phil Kangas wrote:
Guy showed up here the other day asking if I

could repair the table lead screw nuts for a

RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was

stripped out and the other was almost there.

http://www.rongfu.com/en/milling-drilling-machine.html

With the internet, it is quick to contact the manufacturer.

Nook industries has 3/4 -10 Bronze nuts but does not show 7/8 -10 on their web site.

http://www.nookindustries.com/Produc...Category/1100#

Just curious are they both right hand thread?

Dan

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
Guy showed up here the other day asking if I

could repair the table lead screw nuts for a

RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was

stripped out and the other was almost there.

http://www.rongfu.com/en/milling-drilling-machine.html

With the internet, it is quick to contact the
manufacturer.

Nook industries has 3/4 -10 Bronze nuts but does
not show 7/8 -10 on their web site.

http://www.nookindustries.com/Produc...Category/1100#

Just curious are they both right hand thread?

Dan

The nut and shaft I had in hand was right hand
thread. The book he
had for it showed the same part number for both x
and y, so, assuming they
are the same. The book had a date of 1991 on it...
I'll send him the addy above and hope for the
best. So far, I've
turned down the job.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 15:55:25 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

Guy showed up here the other day asking if I
could repair the table lead screw nuts for a
RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was
stripped out and the other was almost there.
He got it from a school shop and looks like
it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why
the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from
Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net
he says so I looked but nope, none. They are
7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but
nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of
a source this nut? It would be easier to weld it
to a flat bar to make the mill useable anyway.
Or spend time to make two of them on the
lathe. Time is money...

=============
see
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Form-A.../dp/B000WSEUII

As you likely know, standard for 7/8 is 6 tpi
and for 10 tpi std diameter is 1/2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoidal_thread_forms

I can't even find a tap that size, and the 7/8X6 stds are c.
150$.

brass nuts in 7/8X6 are c. 50$us
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZNUJMC/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Here is what one guy did in a similar situation
http://mckgyver.pbworks.com/w/page/20654129/AcmeTap

FWIW delren or nylon may be better than brass

Some of the old time machinists books mention rebuilding a
lead screw nut by babbiting around the lead screw.
http://www.conquestind.com/babbitt.php
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71468

the more modern version is epoxy/teflon trade name moglice
http://www.moglice.com/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ebuild-148285/
snip
I've used Moglice 1000 (the Teflon-based epoxy) to cast
leadscrew nuts when I had my Mill/Drill. It wasn't that
difficult: I drilled-out the old nuts, sprayed epoxy release
agent (that comes with the Moglice kit) on the screw, and
made a set of dams for the ends of the nut (to keep the
epoxy in). I drilled three holes along the length of the old
nut to inject the Moglice.
snip

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Guy showed up here the other day asking if I
could repair the table lead screw nuts for a
RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was
stripped out and the other was almost there.
He got it from a school shop and looks like
it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why
the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from
Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net
he says so I looked but nope, none. They are
7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but
nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of
a source this nut? It would be easier to weld it
to a flat bar to make the mill useable anyway.
Or spend time to make two of them on the
lathe. Time is money...

http://www.rongfu.com/en/milling-drilling-machine.html

https://parts.jettools.com/default.aspx

Btw..there are a number of places on the net where one can get acme
nuts in that size.

Also call these people...

http://www.dansmachinetoolinc.com/

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

I'll let this guy contact them. Parts must be
available. I could
make them but my shop runs on 'quick cheap and
accurate',
pick two.. :)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
Guy showed up here the other day asking if I
could repair the table lead screw nuts for a
RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was
stripped out and the other was almost there.
He got it from a school shop and looks like
it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why
the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from
Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net
he says so I looked but nope, none. They are
7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but
nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of
a source this nut? It would be easier to weld it
to a flat bar to make the mill useable anyway.
Or spend time to make two of them on the
lathe. Time is money...

I replaced a worn-out Acme leadscrew on my surface grinder with 3/4-10
vee-threaded rod. On a Rong Fu it might be sufficiently accurate.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Guy showed up here the other day asking if I
could repair the table lead screw nuts for a
RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was
stripped out and the other was almost there.
He got it from a school shop and looks like
it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why
the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from
Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net
he says so I looked but nope, none. They are
7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but
nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of
a source this nut? It would be easier to weld it
to a flat bar to make the mill useable anyway.
Or spend time to make two of them on the
lathe. Time is money...

Wow, I didn't know ACME -did- NF threading. g
The coarser 7/8-6 seems to be standard, but there's a 7/8-5, too.
Hmm, UNC has 9tpi and UNF has 14tpi.

ACMEs have such large flats and beefy, deep threads, I don't see how
ACME could even support a 7/8-10 thread. Physics has laws, y'know.

Very odd one, Phil.

AHA! UNS special thread just might be found in der Deutschland.
http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unif...al-thread.html

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques"
Very odd one, Phil.

AHA! UNS special thread just might be found in
der Deutschland.
http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unif...al-thread.html

That's a link worth saving, eih? :)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in
message ...
"Phil Kangas" wrote in
message ...
Guy showed up here the other day asking if I
could repair the table lead screw nuts for a
RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one was
stripped out and the other was almost there.
He got it from a school shop and looks like
it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why
the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from
Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net
he says so I looked but nope, none. They are
7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but
nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of
a source this nut? It would be easier to weld
it
to a flat bar to make the mill useable anyway.
Or spend time to make two of them on the
lathe. Time is money...

I replaced a worn-out Acme leadscrew on my
surface grinder with 3/4-10 vee-threaded rod. On
a Rong Fu it might be sufficiently accurate.
jsw

This jussst may be the way to go on this one!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16/02/14 00:20, Phil Kangas wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in
message ...
"Phil Kangas" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Is it going to take you less time to modify standard threaded rod and
nuts than it is to make a couple of the 7/8" x 10 TPI nuts to suit the
current RF leadscrews. I see you may have to grind a special tool and
cut an internal thread which could then be cut down to make 2 nuts. I
would try and see how good the current leadscrews are and try and gauge
whether the owner is prepared to pay a sensible price for the work
either way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:09:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

ACMEs have such large flats and beefy, deep threads, I don't see how
ACME could even support a 7/8-10 thread. Physics has laws, y'know.

The thread form is the same regardless of the OD, so any Acme pitch
thread can be cut on as large an OD as you like.

McMaster carries a wide selection of Acme screws and nuts. I purchased
a 6ft piece of 1-10 screw and matching bronze nut a few weeks ago. I
bet they have 3/4-10 as well.

BTW, the Moglice mentioned elsewhere costs about $40 for a 100ml kit.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington"
wrote in
message
[...]

I just got off the phone with this guy and he said
the other screw is
indeed left hand thread! Rats... He used the
contact addy using
family business information. Hopefully RF will
take care of it....
I'm retired and tired.. of winter..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

I replaced a worn-out Acme leadscrew on my surface grinder with
3/4-10 vee-threaded rod. On a Rong Fu it might be sufficiently
accurate.
jsw

This jussst may be the way to go on this one!

The RF-31 I bought for Unitrode wasn't accurate to better than 0.005",
for several uncorrectable reasons, so I used manual methods to lay out
and prick-punch hole centers, and machined edges to dimension by
cutting oversize and measuring the needed adjustment, a short traverse
less affected by leadscrew inaccuracy. This cut could be climb-milled
in the opposite direction from the roughing cut for a better surface
finish.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

I just got off the phone with this guy and he said the other screw
is
indeed left hand thread! Rats... He used the contact addy using
family business information. Hopefully RF will take care of it....
I'm retired and tired.. of winter..

If not, standard threaded rod will get it back in service quickly,
with the same inconvenience as reading a lathe dial backwards when
boring, or you could redefine the directions of the axes on your
drawings; Y is normally reversed anyway. I've markered a diagonal
arrow next to the feed handles to relate the rotation to table motion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in
message ...
"Phil Kangas" wrote in
message ...

I just got off the phone with this guy and he
said the other screw is
indeed left hand thread! Rats... He used the
contact addy using
family business information. Hopefully RF will
take care of it....
I'm retired and tired.. of winter..

If not, standard threaded rod will get it back
in service quickly, with the same inconvenience
as reading a lathe dial backwards when boring,
or you could redefine the directions of the axes
on your drawings; Y is normally reversed anyway.
I've markered a diagonal arrow next to the feed
handles to relate the rotation to table motion.

It's always nice to have options, eih? :)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:37:20 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in
message
.. .
wrote:

[...]

I was in his shop a couple weeks ago, fair sized building and a
****load of used machines. He seems to be a pretty decent guy and
knows the trade well enough.

No idea of his pricing..I didnt go look at the machines up close.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Made a model of the Nut - both halves together with whatever flange
needed...

Drill - and then bore out the hole on a lathe. Then cut a thread.

Forget taps. Ste the lathe at 10 and use the correct cutter.

There are even carbide threading rods with a set of 60 or xxx degree
cutters. Buy the right one - shape of the thread and bore a thread.

Martin

On 2/15/2014 7:42 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

I just got off the phone with this guy and he said the other screw
is
indeed left hand thread! Rats... He used the contact addy using
family business information. Hopefully RF will take care of it....
I'm retired and tired.. of winter..

If not, standard threaded rod will get it back in service quickly,
with the same inconvenience as reading a lathe dial backwards when
boring, or you could redefine the directions of the axes on your
drawings; Y is normally reversed anyway. I've markered a diagonal
arrow next to the feed handles to relate the rotation to table motion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

ACMEs have such large flats and beefy, deep threads, I don't see how
ACME could even support a 7/8-10 thread. Physics has laws, y'know.

The thread form is the same regardless of the OD, so any Acme pitch
thread can be cut on as large an OD as you like.

McMaster carries a wide selection of Acme screws and nuts. I purchased
a 6ft piece of 1-10 screw and matching bronze nut a few weeks ago. I
bet they have 3/4-10 as well.

BTW, the Moglice mentioned elsewhere costs about $40 for a 100ml kit.

--
Ned Simmons

Enco currently distributes Rong Fu products in the US....

Easiest thing would be to give them a call.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

ACMEs have such large flats and beefy, deep threads, I don't see how

ACME could even support a 7/8-10 thread. Physics has laws, y'know.

The thread form is the same regardless of the OD, so any Acme pitch

thread can be cut on as large an OD as you like.

McMaster carries a wide selection of Acme screws and nuts. I purchased

a 6ft piece of 1-10 screw and matching bronze nut a few weeks ago. I

bet they have 3/4-10 as well.

BTW, the Moglice mentioned elsewhere costs about $40 for a 100ml kit.

--

Ned Simmons

Enco currently distributes Rong Fu products in the US....

Easiest thing would be to give them a call.

Penn tool has carried Rong Fu for many years. I would not doubt that Gene Elson stocks this part.

Doing business with Gene was always a pleasure. Can't say the same about Enco or MSC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

ACMEs have such large flats and beefy, deep threads, I don't see how
ACME could even support a 7/8-10 thread. Physics has laws, y'know.

The thread form is the same regardless of the OD, so any Acme pitch
thread can be cut on as large an OD as you like.

Hey, that's cool. Same width flat? I thought they were around 0.1"
themselves. (Distant memory. My metalworking knowledge is steadily
growing, but I have one helluva long way to go.)

http://www.unionmillwright.com/2884.pdf No, I guess not.

McMaster carries a wide selection of Acme screws and nuts. I purchased
a 6ft piece of 1-10 screw and matching bronze nut a few weeks ago. I
bet they have 3/4-10 as well.

In both L and R?

BTW, the Moglice mentioned elsewhere costs about $40 for a 100ml kit.

Ouch, but probably cheaper than paying someone else for special
machining.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

ACMEs have such large flats and beefy, deep threads, I don't see how
ACME could even support a 7/8-10 thread. Physics has laws, y'know.

The thread form is the same regardless of the OD, so any Acme pitch
thread can be cut on as large an OD as you like.

Hey, that's cool. Same width flat? I thought they were around 0.1"
themselves. (Distant memory. My metalworking knowledge is steadily
growing, but I have one helluva long way to go.)

http://www.unionmillwright.com/2884.pdf No, I guess not.

McMaster carries a wide selection of Acme screws and nuts. I purchased
a 6ft piece of 1-10 screw and matching bronze nut a few weeks ago. I
bet they have 3/4-10 as well.

In both L and R?

LH and RH; 1018, 4140 and SS; precision and not; bronze and cast iron
nuts.

Another good source, if metric is OK and and 1.5 meters is long
enough. Misumi will machine the ends and also carries support bearing
assemblies.
http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/mech/M...0/M0115010000/

BTW, the Moglice mentioned elsewhere costs about $40 for a 100ml kit.

Ouch, but probably cheaper than paying someone else for special
machining.

Almost certainly cheaper if the original nuts can be bored out and the
Moglice injected into the shells.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

ACMEs have such large flats and beefy, deep threads, I don't see how
ACME could even support a 7/8-10 thread. Physics has laws, y'know.

The thread form is the same regardless of the OD, so any Acme pitch
thread can be cut on as large an OD as you like.

Hey, that's cool. Same width flat? I thought they were around 0.1"
themselves. (Distant memory. My metalworking knowledge is steadily
growing, but I have one helluva long way to go.)

Same dimensions for an Acme thread of the same pitch, no matter
what the diameter is (assuming that there is enough metal to allow the
thread. (But then, there is also "Stub Acme", which is not as deep a
thread.)

http://www.unionmillwright.com/2884.pdf No, I guess not.

They don't mention the Stub Acme, but you can find it in
_Machinery's Handbook_ among other places.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Rong-fu (round column) mills Michael Koblic Metalworking 33 August 30th 18 12:18 AM
Older Rong-Fu Mill Drill Question Jon Danniken[_2_] Metalworking 10 June 11th 17 07:21 PM
TV REPAIR CRTS, PCBS, PARTS, NEW UNUSED PARTS FOR SALE, MAKE US A OFFER, WE CAN SHIP WITH-IN 24 HOURS User Electronics Repair 7 December 19th 05 03:31 PM
Rong Fu 31 Chuck Metalworking 5 November 24th 04 04:57 PM
WTB: A3951SW Allegro parts up to 100 parts futurebots Electronics Repair 0 November 30th 03 04:16 AM