Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_4_] Phil Kangas[_4_] is offline

Default Rong Fu parts..

"David Billington"
wrote in
message
On 16/02/14 00:20, Phil Kangas wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in
message ...
"Phil Kangas" wrote
in
message ...
Guy showed up here the other day asking if I
could repair the table lead screw nuts for a
RF mill drill. ;)} They are brass and one
was
stripped out and the other was almost there.
He got it from a school shop and looks like
it was bumped or dropped, maybe that's why
the nuts are like this. So, buy new ones from
Rong Fu. Nope, can't find anything on the net
he says so I looked but nope, none. They are
7/8 - 10 acme. Did a web search for them but
nope, none available!Huh? Anyone know of
a source this nut? It would be easier to weld
it
to a flat bar to make the mill useable
anyway.
Or spend time to make two of them on the
lathe. Time is money...
I replaced a worn-out Acme leadscrew on my
surface grinder with 3/4-10 vee-threaded rod.
On
a Rong Fu it might be sufficiently accurate.
jsw

This jussst may be the way to go on this one!

Is it going to take you less time to modify
standard threaded rod and nuts than it is to
make a couple of the 7/8" x 10 TPI nuts to suit
the current RF leadscrews. I see you may have to
grind a special tool and cut an internal thread
which could then be cut down to make 2 nuts. I
would try and see how good the current
leadscrews are and try and gauge whether the
owner is prepared to pay a sensible price for
the work either way.

I just got off the phone with this guy and he said
the other screw is
indeed left hand thread! Rats... He used the
contact addy using
family business information. Hopefully RF will
take care of it....
I'm retired and tired.. of winter..