Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default long 1/4" hex shank screwdriver bit sets

Why is it so difficult to find 4"-6" screwdriver bit **sets** with Phillips and slotted tips as in the subject? I'm talking bits like these;

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_y

I'm not talking power bits with hex shafts all the way through like these (they suck);

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_z

Heck, I'm almost to the point of buying several normal screwdrivers and cutting off the handles in my lathe. They'll at least work in a driver/drill cordless tool with jawed chuck, albeit with possible slipping.

Ever since battery powered screwdrivers, with their sloppy hex "chucks", made their debut in the 80's, it's like suddenly our screw driving needs no longer require shafts as long as what we're used to with manual screwdrivers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/2/2014 10:05 AM, wrote:
[...]

I just use short bits with my 6" or 12" extension. Do you have a
clearance problem?

If you do end up cutting off long screwdrivers, mill flats on the shafts
to keep them from spinning in the chuck.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:01:42 PM UTC-5, David R. Birch wrote:
On 2/2/2014 10:05 AM, oparr wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have clearance problems quite often and have to resort to manual screwdrivers. Can get sets like below but who wants ten of the same size tip, furthermore, they look rusty and pitted but that may be due to the photograph;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ENKAY-6-P...p2054897.l4275

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 08:05:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Why is it so difficult to find 4"-6" screwdriver bit **sets** with Phillips and slotted tips as in the subject? I'm talking bits like these;

VERY good question. I found a 6" square drive and 6" #2 phillips bit
at Homey's Despot a couple years ago. They're also available at Lee
Valley up in Canuckistan. I order only when they have free shipping
(twice a year) any more. We used to enjoy a money valuation
difference of about 30% with Canada, but it's reversed now. sigh
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

Note to self: I should order half a dozen the next time I see the sale
on. They're well-made bits.

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_y

I'm not talking power bits with hex shafts all the way through like these (they suck);

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_z

I have no problem with those at all. Why do you? Oh, one exception.
When I need a small bit to disassemble an electronics box made of
plastic, the hex is too large to fit. Bit extensions don't work for
the same reason. I need a smaller-diametered round shaft instead.
Luckily, almost every phillips screw out there is #2. The smaller-
sized boxes with smaller heads are the few exceptions.

I occasionally use a 1/4" hex-square drive adapter and 1/4" extensions
with 1/4" socket and hex bits when needed, too. It's especially handy
with the 18" MAC extension I bought a few decades ago. A small
rare-earth magnet inside the socket keeps the bit from falling out.

Heck, I'm almost to the point of buying several normal screwdrivers and cutting off the handles in my lathe. They'll at least work in a driver/drill cordless tool with jawed chuck, albeit with possible slipping.

I hear ya. In that case, put it in the mill and mill 3 flats so it
can be chucked properly.

Ever since battery powered screwdrivers, with their sloppy hex "chucks", made their debut in the 80's, it's like suddenly our screw driving needs no longer require shafts as long as what we're used to with manual screwdrivers.

Yeah, that's a ****er, isn't it? I need longer shafts to get into
small places the power driver won't fit into, and extensions add that
much more play and I lose tips in inaccessible places if I try.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 12:07:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Yes, I have clearance problems quite often and have to resort to manual screwdrivers. Can get sets like below but who wants ten of the same size tip, furthermore, they look rusty and pitted but that may be due to the photograph;

Flash photography does that sometimes. I see nothing wrong with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ENKAY-6-P...p2054897.l4275

That's a great price. Want to split a set? (Though extra shipping
would add up...) I'm at zip 97526.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Why is it so difficult to find 4"-6" screwdriver bit **sets** with Phillips and slotted tips as in the subject? I'm talking bits like these;

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_y

I'm not talking power bits with hex shafts all the way through like these (they suck);

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_z

Heck, I'm almost to the point of buying several normal screwdrivers and cutting off the handles in my lathe. They'll at least work in a driver/drill cordless tool with jawed chuck, albeit with possible slipping.

Ever since battery powered screwdrivers, with their sloppy hex "chucks", made their debut in the 80's, it's like suddenly our screw driving needs no longer require shafts as long as what we're used to with manual screwdrivers.

I agree with this. I still do everything by hand buy have a cordless
impact driver which I will use with an extension and a hex bit, but it's
clumsy due to the spinning hex shaft and the coupler. There's no nice way
to steady and point (because of all the slop) a spinning hex bit or
extension shaft.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Yes, I have clearance problems quite often and have to resort to manual screwdrivers. Can get sets like below but who wants ten of the same size tip, furthermore, they look rusty and pitted but that may be due to the photograph;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ENKAY-6-P...p2054897.l4275

I've bought those, from that vendor
9blattsbargains) and they weren't rusty. I bought both #0, #00 sizes
from them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599464119 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW
DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599461124 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #00 SCREW
DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221082606320 10 ENKAY 6" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW
DRIVER BITS 3120 MAGNETIC T...

I'd rather have ten of a size and not use them all, than not be able
to find a single one. All I could find around here were #2, and ten were
cheaper on Ebay than three were from a flea market dealer. No one had #0
or #00 locally.

I am currently waiting for some drill bits I bought from them a few
days ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301077608034 50 DEWALT INDUSTRIAL HSS DRILL BITS
5/64" USA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191048198176 24 NEIKO TOOL USA TITANIUM
INDUSTRIAL DRILL BITS 1/8"

Watch their auctions, rather than BIN, and they combine shipping to
reduce your total costs. This is my third purchase from them. The last
was http://www.ebay.com/itm/191034828225 which was ten packages of nine
assorted hex drive drivers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:39:01 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:
oparr wrote:

[...]

I finally ordered this set off Ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pc-Neiko-S...em53fc32 5557

And am about to order the 6" equivalents as single items from McMasterCarr today.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 22:45:58 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

" wrote:

Yes, I have clearance problems quite often and have to resort to manual screwdrivers. Can get sets like below but who wants ten of the same size tip, furthermore, they look rusty and pitted but that may be due to the photograph;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ENKAY-6-P...p2054897.l4275

I've bought those, from that vendor
9blattsbargains) and they weren't rusty. I bought both #0, #00 sizes
from them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599464119 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW
DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599461124 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #00 SCREW
DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221082606320 10 ENKAY 6" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW
DRIVER BITS 3120 MAGNETIC T...

What takes a #0 or 00 driver? I picked up the precision screwdriver
set from HF and it has served me well. I just wish the driver shaft
extension release worked better. It's hex and extends about 3", but
is hard to retract. http://tinyurl.com/24nj2us

I'd rather have ten of a size and not use them all, than not be able
to find a single one. All I could find around here were #2, and ten were
cheaper on Ebay than three were from a flea market dealer. No one had #0
or #00 locally.

I am currently waiting for some drill bits I bought from them a few
days ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301077608034 50 DEWALT INDUSTRIAL HSS DRILL BITS
5/64" USA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191048198176 24 NEIKO TOOL USA TITANIUM
INDUSTRIAL DRILL BITS 1/8"

Watch Harbor Freight ads. Packs of ten can go for $0.99-1.49 on sale,
with no shipping. I also order 10-pks from Enco for pretty cheap.

Watch their auctions, rather than BIN, and they combine shipping to
reduce your total costs. This is my third purchase from them. The last
was http://www.ebay.com/itm/191034828225 which was ten packages of nine
assorted hex drive drivers.

Great deal, if you can use 30 nut drivers. I guess you could resell
sets of nutdrivers and recoup your outlay pretty easily. I'm doing
that with some jewelry. I bought components and made some bookmarks
necklaces, and bracelets for Mom, my sister, and my niece. I ordered
extra large quantities and am assembling and selling necklaces.

I prefer to use 2" screwdriver bits in my Makita impactor. 1% of the
time, I need the 3-1/2" or 6" size.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

0 & 00 are common in modern, miniature electronics. I have several
digital cameras to see about modifying for a project, and they are full
of 00 screws.

I'd rather have ten of a size and not use them all, than not be able
to find a single one. All I could find around here were #2, and ten were
cheaper on Ebay than three were from a flea market dealer. No one had #0
or #00 locally.

I am currently waiting for some drill bits I bought from them a few
days ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301077608034 50 DEWALT INDUSTRIAL HSS DRILL BITS
5/64" USA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191048198176 24 NEIKO TOOL USA TITANIUM
INDUSTRIAL DRILL BITS 1/8"

Watch Harbor Freight ads. Packs of ten can go for $0.99-1.49 on sale,
with no shipping. I also order 10-pks from Enco for pretty cheap.

If you factor in the savings from combined shipping, they were a
decent deal. The 1/8" drills are double ended, so that's 48 total. I've
bought multiple packs of drills from HF, but the sizes I needed are
rarely in stock when they have a sale.

Watch their auctions, rather than BIN, and they combine shipping to
reduce your total costs. This is my third purchase from them. The last
was http://www.ebay.com/itm/191034828225 which was ten packages of nine
assorted hex drive drivers.

Great deal, if you can use 30 nut drivers.

I'll keep about half of them, and give the others to family &
friends. They do wear out, on old hardware.

I guess you could resell
sets of nutdrivers and recoup your outlay pretty easily. I'm doing
that with some jewelry. I bought components and made some bookmarks
necklaces, and bracelets for Mom, my sister, and my niece. I ordered
extra large quantities and am assembling and selling necklaces.

I prefer to use 2" screwdriver bits in my Makita impactor. 1% of the
time, I need the 3-1/2" or 6" size.

I need 6" quite often, and at times I have to braze a bit to a piece of
1'4" drill rod to reach even deeper into equipment to remove screws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

I bought some double-ended 1/8" drill bits for sheetmetal work, but
most of the time, I need longer bits. Yeah, HF sells out quickly when
the good sales hit. Ya gotta be quick!

Watch their auctions, rather than BIN, and they combine shipping to
reduce your total costs. This is my third purchase from them. The last
was http://www.ebay.com/itm/191034828225 which was ten packages of nine
assorted hex drive drivers.

Great deal, if you can use 30 nut drivers.

I'll keep about half of them, and give the others to family &
friends. They do wear out, on old hardware.

I think I've worn out 2 nut drivers in my life so far. One split and
the other rounded from using it on metric screws. hangs head in shame
from being too cheap to buy wunna them metrical doodads

I guess you could resell
sets of nutdrivers and recoup your outlay pretty easily. I'm doing
that with some jewelry. I bought components and made some bookmarks
necklaces, and bracelets for Mom, my sister, and my niece. I ordered
extra large quantities and am assembling and selling necklaces.

I prefer to use 2" screwdriver bits in my Makita impactor. 1% of the
time, I need the 3-1/2" or 6" size.

I need 6" quite often, and at times I have to braze a bit to a piece of
1'4" drill rod to reach even deeper into equipment to remove screws.

I still have a 28" long (+ handle) blade screwdriver from Matco stuck
on the holster on my rolling toolbox. 12" is the longest phillips,
but I've used my 36" 3/8" drive extension to make a longer one when I
didn't want to get too close to the screw. It's fun using things like
that around other people. They give you the strangest looks... g

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought some double-ended 1/8" drill bits for sheetmetal work, but
most of the time, I need longer bits. Yeah, HF sells out quickly when
the good sales hit. Ya gotta be quick!

I bought them to take out rivets. HF is far enough away that it's not
worth the drive for cheap things, by themselves.

I think I've worn out 2 nut drivers in my life so far. One split and
the other rounded from using it on metric screws. hangs head in shame
from being too cheap to buy wunna them metrical doodads

I've worn enough of the out that I keep spares. They still work, but
are too sloppy to hold a screw any angle other than straight up. The
cost to run around to find a tool when it's needed is much higher than
buying a few spares. Like when I bought 100 #2 phillips screwdrivers for
$25. I still have almost half of them after giving away, losing and
having them stolen from me. The cost to stop a job and go buy one would
be as much as I spent and if it happens too often your customers begin
to wonder if you know what you're doing.

I still have a 28" long (+ handle) blade screwdriver from Matco stuck
on the holster on my rolling toolbox. 12" is the longest phillips,
but I've used my 36" 3/8" drive extension to make a longer one when I
didn't want to get too close to the screw. It's fun using things like
that around other people. They give you the strangest looks... g

Of course you blame it on your tools...

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:00:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought some double-ended 1/8" drill bits for sheetmetal work, but
most of the time, I need longer bits. Yeah, HF sells out quickly when
the good sales hit. Ya gotta be quick!

I bought them to take out rivets. HF is far enough away that it's not
worth the drive for cheap things, by themselves.

Here, either. Medford is the closest store, about 27 miles away.

Speaking of cheap things, I had a 5/16-18 bolt shear on me while
installing a gate this morning. Cheaparse chiwanese butterbolts from
Homey's Despot, damnit. I thought it was bottoming out and tightening
when it just went away, leaving a 1/8" nub sticking out. I sawed that
off after the cheap HF drill bit snapped during the drillout. sigh
(Is it Monday?) I went back and got zinc coated instead of galv, then
tried them in my 5/16NC die for good measure. All were fine and all
held the second time around. What a PITA! I was mounting the
expanding gate on a 3/16 thick rectangular metal tube on a sides of a
ground-level freight "dock" for a paint store.

I think I've worn out 2 nut drivers in my life so far. One split and
the other rounded from using it on metric screws. hangs head in shame
from being too cheap to buy wunna them metrical doodads

I've worn enough of the out that I keep spares. They still work, but
are too sloppy to hold a screw any angle other than straight up. The
cost to run around to find a tool when it's needed is much higher than
buying a few spares. Like when I bought 100 #2 phillips screwdrivers for
$25. I still have almost half of them after giving away, losing and
having them stolen from me. The cost to stop a job and go buy one would
be as much as I spent and if it happens too often your customers begin
to wonder if you know what you're doing.

We surely don't want them catching on, do we? g

I still have a 28" long (+ handle) blade screwdriver from Matco stuck
on the holster on my rolling toolbox. 12" is the longest phillips,
but I've used my 36" 3/8" drive extension to make a longer one when I
didn't want to get too close to the screw. It's fun using things like
that around other people. They give you the strangest looks... g

Of course you blame it on your tools...

Doesn't everyone?

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Why is it so difficult to find 4"-6" screwdriver bit **sets** with Phillips and slotted tips as in the subject? I'm talking bits like these;

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_y

I'm not talking power bits with hex shafts all the way through like these (they suck);

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_z

Heck, I'm almost to the point of buying several normal screwdrivers and cutting off the handles in my lathe. They'll at least work in a driver/drill cordless tool with jawed chuck, albeit with possible slipping.

Ever since battery powered screwdrivers, with their sloppy hex "chucks", made their debut in the 80's, it's like suddenly our screw driving needs no longer require shafts as long as what we're used to with manual screwdrivers.

I was at Menards in Chicago and they had 6" hex drivers in blister packs
with the round shafts. It wasn't complete sets, but you could grab packs
of #2 and flat drivers if you wanted. It was $5 or $6 per pack, and they
seemed to be taiwanese-ish looking.

Menards really makes home depot look stupid in every possible way. The
giant home depot not far from the menards was actually out of 90 degree 1"
PVC elbows of all things, they also don't carry or don't know where they
sell plastic razor blades for safely scraping stuff. The only birdfeeders
HD had in stock were for hummingbirds, which you don't really see around
these parts in the winter. Of course, menards had a complete selection of
everything I wanted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I bought them to take out rivets. HF is far enough away that it's not
worth the drive for cheap things, by themselves.

Here, either. Medford is the closest store, about 27 miles away.

Over 10, for me. The time and cost of gasoline limits most visits to
when I have to be in that area, or an expensive item is on sale for more
than enough to offset the costs. Like a new table saw for half price.

Speaking of cheap things, I had a 5/16-18 bolt shear on me while
installing a gate this morning. Cheaparse chiwanese butterbolts from
Homey's Despot, damnit. I thought it was bottoming out and tightening
when it just went away, leaving a 1/8" nub sticking out. I sawed that
off after the cheap HF drill bit snapped during the drillout. sigh
(Is it Monday?) I went back and got zinc coated instead of galv, then
tried them in my 5/16NC die for good measure. All were fine and all
held the second time around. What a PITA! I was mounting the
expanding gate on a 3/16 thick rectangular metal tube on a sides of a
ground-level freight "dock" for a paint store.

It's about time you did something right. ;-)

I've worn enough of the out that I keep spares. They still work, but
are too sloppy to hold a screw any angle other than straight up. The
cost to run around to find a tool when it's needed is much higher than
buying a few spares. Like when I bought 100 #2 phillips screwdrivers for
$25. I still have almost half of them after giving away, losing and
having them stolen from me. The cost to stop a job and go buy one would
be as much as I spent and if it happens too often your customers begin
to wonder if you know what you're doing.

We surely don't want them catching on, do we? g

Too many non productive hours will bankrupt you.

Of course you blame it on your tools...

Doesn't everyone?

No, but most people do.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

I was at Menards in Chicago and they had 6" hex drivers in blister packs
with the round shafts. It wasn't complete sets, but you could grab packs
of #2 and flat drivers if you wanted. It was $5 or $6 per pack, and they
seemed to be taiwanese-ish looking.

It looks like their nearest store is 800 miles from me so I doubt
that I'll ever shop at any of their stores.

http://www.menards.com/main/storeLocator.html

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-10, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

I was at Menards in Chicago and they had 6" hex drivers in blister packs
with the round shafts. It wasn't complete sets, but you could grab packs
of #2 and flat drivers if you wanted. It was $5 or $6 per pack, and they
seemed to be taiwanese-ish looking.

It looks like their nearest store is 800 miles from me so I doubt
that I'll ever shop at any of their stores.

http://www.menards.com/main/storeLocator.html

I've gotten blister packs of assorted long-shank hex drive
screwdriver bits -- straight, Phillips, Torx, Robertson, Allen and even
security versions of some of the above -- at stores which sell
electronic parts and tools. And they have handled a *lot* of use and
abuse.

The one I used was local, and not part of a chain, so naming it
will not be much help to you unless you are in the Washington
DC/Northern VA area. But the same sort should be found elsewhere. I'll
bet that you can find Jensen Tools on the web, and they will likely have
them -- but probably a bit more expensive than you expect.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I've gotten blister packs of assorted long-shank hex drive
screwdriver bits -- straight, Phillips, Torx, Robertson, Allen and even
security versions of some of the above -- at stores which sell
electronic parts and tools. And they have handled a *lot* of use and
abuse.

The one I used was local, and not part of a chain, so naming it
will not be much help to you unless you are in the Washington
DC/Northern VA area. But the same sort should be found elsewhere. I'll
bet that you can find Jensen Tools on the web, and they will likely have
them -- but probably a bit more expensive than you expect.

Barring a disaster, I shouldn't have to buy many more tools before I
die.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Why is a 1/2" Tap Shank Smalelr than a 3/8" Tap Shank? Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 6 May 6th 11 01:44 PM
Need to buy a long Phillips no. 1 screwdriver mm Electronics Repair 32 November 4th 10 12:59 AM
vde screwdriver sets Fred UK diy 25 October 23rd 10 09:17 PM
The Perfect Screwdriver Rack (Long) Marty[_10_] Woodworking 9 August 15th 10 11:43 PM
For Sale: Carbide Inserts, Straight and Tapered Shank Long LengthDrills [email protected] Metalworking 2 December 3rd 08 11:47 PM