Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default long 1/4" hex shank screwdriver bit sets

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:15:38 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 22:45:58 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

" wrote:

Yes, I have clearance problems quite often and have to resort to manual screwdrivers. Can get sets like below but who wants ten of the same size tip, furthermore, they look rusty and pitted but that may be due to the photograph;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ENKAY-6-P...p2054897.l4275

I've bought those, from that vendor
9blattsbargains) and they weren't rusty. I bought both #0, #00 sizes
from them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599464119 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW
DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300599461124 20 ENKAY 3-1/2" PHILLIPS #00 SCREW
DRIVER BITS ROUND SHAFT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221082606320 10 ENKAY 6" PHILLIPS #0 SCREW
DRIVER BITS 3120 MAGNETIC T...

What takes a #0 or 00 driver? I picked up the precision screwdriver
set from HF and it has served me well. I just wish the driver shaft
extension release worked better. It's hex and extends about 3", but
is hard to retract. http://tinyurl.com/24nj2us

0 & 00 are common in modern, miniature electronics. I have several
digital cameras to see about modifying for a project, and they are full
of 00 screws.

I'd rather have ten of a size and not use them all, than not be able
to find a single one. All I could find around here were #2, and ten were
cheaper on Ebay than three were from a flea market dealer. No one had #0
or #00 locally.

I am currently waiting for some drill bits I bought from them a few
days ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301077608034 50 DEWALT INDUSTRIAL HSS DRILL BITS
5/64" USA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191048198176 24 NEIKO TOOL USA TITANIUM
INDUSTRIAL DRILL BITS 1/8"

Watch Harbor Freight ads. Packs of ten can go for $0.99-1.49 on sale,
with no shipping. I also order 10-pks from Enco for pretty cheap.

If you factor in the savings from combined shipping, they were a
decent deal. The 1/8" drills are double ended, so that's 48 total. I've
bought multiple packs of drills from HF, but the sizes I needed are
rarely in stock when they have a sale.

I bought some double-ended 1/8" drill bits for sheetmetal work, but
most of the time, I need longer bits. Yeah, HF sells out quickly when
the good sales hit. Ya gotta be quick!

Watch their auctions, rather than BIN, and they combine shipping to
reduce your total costs. This is my third purchase from them. The last
was http://www.ebay.com/itm/191034828225 which was ten packages of nine
assorted hex drive drivers.

Great deal, if you can use 30 nut drivers.

I'll keep about half of them, and give the others to family &
friends. They do wear out, on old hardware.

I think I've worn out 2 nut drivers in my life so far. One split and
the other rounded from using it on metric screws. hangs head in shame
from being too cheap to buy wunna them metrical doodads

I guess you could resell
sets of nutdrivers and recoup your outlay pretty easily. I'm doing
that with some jewelry. I bought components and made some bookmarks
necklaces, and bracelets for Mom, my sister, and my niece. I ordered
extra large quantities and am assembling and selling necklaces.

I prefer to use 2" screwdriver bits in my Makita impactor. 1% of the
time, I need the 3-1/2" or 6" size.

I need 6" quite often, and at times I have to braze a bit to a piece of
1'4" drill rod to reach even deeper into equipment to remove screws.

I still have a 28" long (+ handle) blade screwdriver from Matco stuck
on the holster on my rolling toolbox. 12" is the longest phillips,
but I've used my 36" 3/8" drive extension to make a longer one when I
didn't want to get too close to the screw. It's fun using things like
that around other people. They give you the strangest looks... g

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.