Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default long 1/4" hex shank screwdriver bit sets

On 2/2/2014 10:05 AM, wrote:
Why is it so difficult to find 4"-6" screwdriver bit **sets** with
Phillips and slotted tips as in the subject? I'm talking bits like
these;

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_y

I'm not talking power bits with hex shafts all the way through like
these (they suck);

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW...bxgy_hi_text_z

Heck, I'm almost to the point of buying several normal screwdrivers
and cutting off the handles in my lathe. They'll at least work in a
driver/drill cordless tool with jawed chuck, albeit with possible
slipping.

Ever since battery powered screwdrivers, with their sloppy hex
"chucks", made their debut in the 80's, it's like suddenly our screw
driving needs no longer require shafts as long as what we're used to
with manual screwdrivers.

I just use short bits with my 6" or 12" extension. Do you have a
clearance problem?

If you do end up cutting off long screwdrivers, mill flats on the shafts
to keep them from spinning in the chuck.

David