Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default American Personal Wealth Down 40% In Last 5 Years - Why AreRight Wing Americans So Lazy And AntiCapitalist?

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:56:57 AM UTC-5, Lee Westwood wrote:

I see that you are ashamed of your post and want it removed in six days. Well I would be ashamed of posting off topic stuff in Rec.Crafts.Metalworking. and never posting anything on topic.

And then you post lies because the housing market is up and the stock market is up, and yet you say personal wealth is down 40 % in the last five years. Since my personal wealth is up over the last five years , I can not take you seriously.

So what metalworking bave you been doing? I have done almost zip myself. I did drill a hole thru a disk that has abrasive on it so I could quickly put it on a drillpress. That and trying to lap some stainless disks so that they are really smooth and flat. So I can show my grandchildren how blocks will wring together.

Which reminds me. Does anyone know what places that do granite counter tops use for polishing? They must buy it in quantity and might resell some. I have several thing that could use a little polishing. Plastic headlight lenses for one.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:10:46 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...13/spi1213.htm

State Personal Income: Third Quarter 2013

State personal income growth slowed slightly to 1.1 percent in the
third quarter of 2013, from 1.2 percent in the second quarter,
according to estimates released today by the U.S. Bureau of Economic
Analysis. Growth slowed in 25 states, accelerated in 22, and was
unchanged in 3 states and the District of Columbia. Growth across
states ranged from 0.4 percent in New Mexico to 1.9 percent in
Mississippi. The national price index for personal consumption
expenditures increased 0.5 percent in the third quarter after
remaining unchanged in the second quarter.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com...at-2/10001202/

US Inflation Eases in July 2013, Yet Annual Inflation Rate at 2%
August 15, 2013 · Filed Under Inflation

Inflation in the US rose more modestly in July but ticked higher on a
12-month basis, the Labor Department reported Thursday, August 15,
2013.

Lets see...inflation rate of 2%..yet personal income growth was at
most....1.2%.....and you say we are doing better?

Blink blink.........blink.

Count your blessings that you are "doing well"

Most of America isnt so lucky.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-28, wrote:
On Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:56:57 AM UTC-5, Lee Westwood wrote:

I see that you are ashamed of your post and want it removed in six
days. Well I would be ashamed of posting off topic stuff in
Rec.Crafts.Metalworking. and never posting anything on topic.

And then you post lies because the housing market is up and the
stock market is up, and yet you say personal wealth is down 40 % in
the last five years. Since my personal wealth is up over the last
five years , I can not take you seriously.

Dan, it is not quite so simple.

It is not crazy to add up the value of your stocks and other assets to
calculate your "personal" wealth.

It is, however, almost crazy to think of a country's total wealth in
terms of how much its citizens are willing to pay for assets that they
trade with one another.

For illustration, imagine that the ony two people living in an
imaginary country is you and me. We both own shares in the only farm
and the only bakery.

We trade shares in both enterprises. I happen to be a moody person and
pester you with offers. Some days I offer you a lot for your shares,
and some days, when I am in a bad mood, very little.

Would you think that your wealth changes daily, based on my whims? I
think that as a smart person, you would not. Our combined wealth lies
in how much we can grow on a farm and bake in the bakery. You can, of
course, take advantage of my mood swings and in the end you will own a
greater share of these enterprises. But their total value is only
tangentially influenced by the prices I am quoting to you daily.

Same applies to a nation. Our total wealth, defined as ability to
produce goods and services, changes comparatively little since 2009.
But the markets have been on a wild ride.

So what metalworking bave you been doing?

cut a thumb with a drill press

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:04:36 -0800 (PST), "

On 2013-12-28, wrote:

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:56:57 AM UTC-5, Lee Westwood wrote:

I see that you are ashamed of your post and want it removed in six

days. Well I would be ashamed of posting off topic stuff in

Rec.Crafts.Metalworking. and never posting anything on topic.

And then you post lies because the housing market is up and the

stock market is up, and yet you say personal wealth is down 40 % in

the last five years. Since my personal wealth is up over the last

five years , I can not take you seriously.

Dan, it is not quite so simple.

Same applies to a nation. Our total wealth, defined as ability to

produce goods and services, changes comparatively little since 2009.

But the markets have been on a wild ride.

I am not saying that the country is doing well, but the original post said personal wealth is down 40 percent over the last 5 years. Not sure how the OP is figuring personal wealth, but I agree with you .It has not changed much. Certainly not down 40 percent .

Dan

Dan

Maybe not in your home..or your neighborhood...but Id have to say its
had a very big drop on average across the US

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 30, 2013 3:48:01 PM UTC-5, Steve Rothstein wrote:

Nope, it was wrong because your premise was wrong. Duty is not something

that others say is owed,a s you defined it. Duty is something done

because it is a personal obligation. I served in the military as a duty

because I felt I owed it to my country, not because the country said I

owed it.

Steve Rothstein

So explain how this relates to metalworking!

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 30, 2013 9:35:58 PM UTC-5, Steve Rothstein wrote:
Non metal working stuff snipped.

Steve Rothstein

I skimmed though your whole spiel and did not find out what sort of metalworking theat you like to do.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-31, Snag wrote:
Dan , much as I hate to say it I thnk you're tilting at windmills here .
I've found the least stressful way to cope with the politics and OT posts is
to killfile anyone who doesn't *ever* contribute to the metalworking aspect
of this NG . Those who crosspost to multiple groups AND post political/etc
BS are likely candidates whether they post on-topic or not .

I delete all crossposts (and a couple other additional things) and I
am very happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 30, 2013 10:10:19 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:

Dan , much as I hate to say it I thnk you're tilting at windmills here ..

I've found the least stressful way to cope with the politics and OT posts is

to killfile anyone who doesn't *ever* contribute to the metalworking aspect

of this NG . Those who crosspost to multiple groups AND post political/etc

BS are likely candidates whether they post on-topic or not .

--

Snag

I am tilting at windmills, but there is no stress involved. I just do it so that the posters know that no one really cares about the OT crap they post. And since they almost never post anything that is on topic, that means no one cares about anything they post. Except of course those poor people that have no interests outside of replying to the crap that others post.

I sent you and Paul Dickman email about some junk I found at the scrap yard and have not gotten any reply. Have gotten replies from some other people, but not from you two.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 19:49:10 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I am tilting at windmills, but there is no stress involved. I just do it so that the posters know that no one really cares about the OT crap they post

Actually..that statement is not true in the slightest.

SOME people dont care, yet a significant number of others do.

Else there would not be any off topic reponses from this newsgroup.
And Im not..not talking about myself.

There are a significant number of others here who do indeed respond.

The simple way is to "ignore thread" and even I use that regularly.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:11:54 PM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

Actually..that statement is not true in the slightest.

SOME people dont care, yet a significant number of others do.

Else there would not be any off topic reponses from this newsgroup.

And Im not..not talking about myself.

Gunner

You are correct. There are people that care. But why they use a newsgroup about metalworking to post about non metalworkng topics is beyond me.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 17:01:36 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:11:54 PM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

Actually..that statement is not true in the slightest.

SOME people dont care, yet a significant number of others do.

Else there would not be any off topic reponses from this newsgroup.

And Im not..not talking about myself.

Gunner

You are correct. There are people that care. But why they use a newsgroup about metalworking to post about non metalworkng topics is beyond me.

Dan

Because as has been mentioned time after time over at least a
decade...this is like a break room at the factory. We can chat about
work, the world, politics, the latest cool apparatus we have seen or
we bought the ol lady. And yeah..if anyone wants to talk about
metalworking..its very much allowed.

Have you EVER seen a metalworking post ignored and not answered?
Seriously? Its always answered..now granted after a dozen or so
replies..it may start drifting off to something else..but thats how it
works in real life. as well.

Ive been HERE since 1997ish. Damned near 16 yrs. Long enough to blast
a load into the ol lady and have the kid getting his drivers license.
any day now.

Some times its "really metalworking" other times can be anything under
the sun.

This is NOT church, its not an adult class on metalworking...its
entertainment and assistance and we have a bunch..bunch of very..very
smart people here, in MANY different disciplines ..and just about
anything IS and WILL get talked about. We all simply share
metalworking in common. Who would have thought a professional
fireworks guy and a retired financial expert would hang together with
a retired fireman and a merchant marine?

Yet it happens here.

You get exactly what you put into this group. If you put in
metalworking..and not kvetching about metalworking..you will get
metalworking...along with all the other stuff. When you are at a
party...you dont listen to every conversation...do you? You simply
killfile the morons and trolls..and drift into and out of
conversations as they catch your attention. Or simply go home...turn
something inane on the Tube and pout that they were talking about
politics and not just metalworking.

Your choice Dan...make the best use of it as you can. If you are here
just for help and information..and not to spend an evening or an hour
with your friends and peers..,thats your choice.

Shrug

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't know how many actually work in a metal working shop but I used
to and during coffee break I don't remember anyone talking about metal
working. Politics, women, ball scores, who got a new car, problems
with the bank, but not metal working.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 6:17:52 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

I don't know how many actually work in a metal working shop but I used

to and during coffee break I don't remember anyone talking about metal

working. Politics, women, ball scores, who got a new car, problems

with the bank, but not metal working.

--

Cheers,

John B.

I understand the analogy, but there are a lot of people that post here that never post anything about metalworking. If someone that does post about metalworking , posts about something else occasionally that is one thing. But people that post about the economy all the time , and never post about metalworking...........well I consider that bad manners. It seems they do not want to post in a group about the economy.

If you read the charter for RCM, it does not say anything about the group being like a lunch room. It says the group is about metalworking. There are lots of other groups, but this one is about metalworking. It is not about survival, or " It is all Bushes fault ". It is not limited to machining, it includes all types of metalnworking, but it should really not be as it is with so many OT posts by people that never post anything about metalworking.

Dan