Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boys metal project

I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for
their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but
something that they could help build.

Suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:46:45 PM UTC-8, SteveB wrote:
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they

spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and

something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for

their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but

something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

Wrong focus. Focus should be on getting them to want to build skills. Depending on the child not always an easy task.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while
they spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them,
and something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative
for their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending,
but something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

When I was that age I cut toy helicopter rotor disks out of tin can
lids. The launcher was string wound around a modified nail. I had to
fly them outside after my parents noticed the circles they carved in
the ceiling..

The plastic ones from the store didn't have enough inertia to keep
spinning as long as my steel ones, wouldn't glide sideways and bounce
off walls, and I could pull the string on mine harder to make them
spin faster. Never mind that the first few still had the sharp outer
edges left by the can opener. Even at that age I became concerned
about a free-flying spinning scalpel ricocheting around the room, and
learned how to file them smooth and marginally safer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for their
room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but something that
they could help build.

Suggestions?

How about a set of steel drums or bongo drums.
Let them build the musical instruments with your
guidence and oversight. Migh spark an intrest in
metal working and music.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 21:46:45 -0700, SteveB
wrote:

I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for
their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but
something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

Model cannon? I did one with a nephew. Didn't get as far as
trunnions and a carriage. He loved it.

Functional would be cool, but an invitation to mischief. I intend to
do a functional one for myself some day. Maybe model Napoleon.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for
their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but
something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

Toy cannon? CD/DVD shelves? ...I would have said
bookends...but..those days are largely gone....

This may be of some help....

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...Ideas-for-Kids

http://scitoys.com/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/Ya-6k9wbYWM

One of my favorites are steam engines that you can run from air...

http://hackaday.com/2013/03/20/secon...-steam-engine/

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Si...one-Can-Build/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x65lxYWp1lU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNH2YGzwznI

Science is always good....

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 23:02:11 -0800, "azotic"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for their
room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but something that
they could help build.

Suggestions?

How about a set of steel drums or bongo drums.
Let them build the musical instruments with your
guidence and oversight. Migh spark an intrest in
metal working and music.

Best Regards
Tom.

And best of all...they take them with them when they go home with
their parents!

Gunner, pondering how his sister bought his 5 yr old son a full on
drum set.....and still grits his teeth....

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:46:45 PM UTC-5, SteveB wrote:
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they

spend the time with us.
Suggestions?

http://amasci.com/amateur/hovercft.html

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for their
room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but something that
they could help build.

Suggestions?

How about a set of steel drums or bongo drums.
Let them build the musical instruments with your
guidence and oversight. Migh spark an intrest in
metal working and music.

Best Regards
Tom.

And best of all...they take them with them when they go home with
their parents!

Gunner, pondering how his sister bought his 5 yr old son a full on
drum set.....and still grits his teeth....

I would have disowned the bitch that very second.

--
Just as a picture is drawn by an artist, surroundings
are created by the activities of the mind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

The boy is 34 now...and he has a son about the same age....so perhaps
HE is going to get a drum set....and HE has ADHD.....
(evil grin)........

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while
they spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them,
and something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative
for their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending,
but something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

If they are creative and like to draw you might set them up making
freehand versions of the old summer-camp ashtray project, with
aluminum flashing, a hammer and a bag of sand. They could make chest
armor for an action figure, for example.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for
their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but
something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

tool boxes?? Something to remind them of GrandDad when he's gone.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, SteveB wrote:
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for
their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but
something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

Couple of months ago at a Maker Faire, I saw a quicky project to do
en masse that was building a metal tray with handle of the sort you find
in tool boxes. I think the design was whittled down to just cutting,
bending, and pop rivets, but it was a popular activity.

A full sized tool box with lid and tray would be a memorable project with
a useful result, even if it gets filled with toys and not tools.

Myself, I made an electric vehicle for my (then) 12-year old daughter.
I mashed up a free second-hand four-foot diameter "cupcake" tin with $50
as-is electric scooter (ended up only needing new charger and batteries).
The bulk of the project was making a chasis to attach the cupcake tin to
the scooter.

Electric or two-stroke engine go karts, and similar wheeled items, are a
lot of fun for that age range, and off-the-shelf devices can easily be
repurposed into more interesting creations. I've seen leaf blowers made
into small hovercraft and cordless electric drills used to power bikes.

What makes a good suggestion will vary a lot with what tools and skills
you and they have and what budget you have.

Elijah
------
is a lot more comfortable with electric than gas engines
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-04, SteveB wrote:
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for
their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but
something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

I made some scupltures from TIG filler rod, bolts and nuts, maybe mini
gears if you have them, using tig welding. They sell those to tourists
in Mexico and they are surprisingly easy to make and end up very cute
looking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner, pondering how his sister bought his 5 yr old son a full on
drum set.....and still grits his teeth....

I would have disowned the bitch that very second.

The boy is 34 now...and he has a son about the same age....so perhaps
HE is going to get a drum set....and HE has ADHD.....
(evil grin)........

I take it they're living with her? DO IT! heh heh heh

--
Just as a picture is drawn by an artist, surroundings
are created by the activities of the mind.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-04, wrote:
I want to build a project with my 8 and 10 year old grandsons while they
spend the time with us. I want it to be one for each of them, and
something that would last. I want it to be useful, or decorative for
their room. They might only get to do some filing or bending, but
something that they could help build.

Suggestions?

I made some scupltures from TIG filler rod, bolts and nuts, maybe mini
gears if you have them, using tig welding. They sell those to tourists
in Mexico and they are surprisingly easy to make and end up very cute
looking.

That sounds like the best suggestion so far.

Or see if they are interested in steam punk stuff...
Make something brass and leather...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

The boy is 34 now...and he has a son about the same age....so perhaps
HE is going to get a drum set....and HE has ADHD.....
(evil grin)........

Don't you have any spare freon powered air horns?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 06:36:25 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

The boy is 34 now...and he has a son about the same age....so perhaps
HE is going to get a drum set....and HE has ADHD.....
(evil grin)........

Don't you have any spare freon powered air horns?

actually..I do..but have you priced freon for them recently??? I did
today..its $18 freaking dollars for a can!!

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:50:12 AM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

Don't you have any spare freon powered air horns?

actually..I do..but have you priced freon for them recently??? I did

today..its $18 freaking dollars for a can!!

Could you adapt the horn to use a Small CO2 tank like the ones used for paint ball guns?

Or maybe the propane tanks used for Bernzomatic torches?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 12:00:58 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:50:12 AM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

Don't you have any spare freon powered air horns?

actually..I do..but have you priced freon for them recently??? I did

today..its $18 freaking dollars for a can!!

Could you adapt the horn to use a Small CO2 tank like the ones used for paint ball guns?

Or maybe the propane tanks used for Bernzomatic torches?

Dan

Making the thread adapter might be interesting for a handheld unit

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum....asp?TID=13237

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

The boy is 34 now...and he has a son about the same age....so perhaps
HE is going to get a drum set....and HE has ADHD.....
(evil grin)........

Don't you have any spare freon powered air horns?

actually..I do..but have you priced freon for them recently??? I did
today..its $18 freaking dollars for a can!!

I was at harbor Freight, and it was cheaper than that. Sam's club
had a decent price on a case of cans, but I doubt it would take more
than half a can to make your point. ;-)

The reason I was looking is the A/C on my truck quit and needs
recharged. I have everything I need, BUT enough R134 so I was checking
the prices.

BTW, they used to make 'Rate of Rise' fire alarm that was freon
powered. An alarm guy I knew had a bunch of ones he's used for demos, so
I removed all the horns, and put one together with a handful of Tee
connectors. Someone was tampering with a desk in our office. Imagine
their surprise when they opened the drawer, and that contraption went
off? They were nearly deaf before the can was empty. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

The boy is 34 now...and he has a son about the same age....so perhaps
HE is going to get a drum set....and HE has ADHD.....
(evil grin)........

Don't you have any spare freon powered air horns?

actually..I do..but have you priced freon for them recently??? I did
today..its $18 freaking dollars for a can!!

I was at harbor Freight, and it was cheaper than that. Sam's club
had a decent price on a case of cans, but I doubt it would take more
than half a can to make your point. ;-)

The reason I was looking is the A/C on my truck quit and needs
recharged. I have everything I need, BUT enough R134 so I was checking
the prices.

I happen to have a 30lb tank of R134..unopened...G And no..Im not
going to send it to you.

BTW, they used to make 'Rate of Rise' fire alarm that was freon
powered. An alarm guy I knew had a bunch of ones he's used for demos, so
I removed all the horns, and put one together with a handful of Tee
connectors. Someone was tampering with a desk in our office. Imagine
their surprise when they opened the drawer, and that contraption went
off? They were nearly deaf before the can was empty. ;-)

ROFLMAO!!

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The reason I was looking is the A/C on my truck quit and needs
recharged. I have everything I need, BUT enough R134 so I was checking
the prices.

I happen to have a 30lb tank of R134..unopened...G And no..Im not
going to send it to you.

I wouldn't ask you to. Anyway, the shipping would be a high
percentage of what it's worth. With only one vehicle the case from Sam's
club would probably be overkill.

BTW, they used to make 'Rate of Rise' fire alarm that was freon
powered. An alarm guy I knew had a bunch of ones he's used for demos, so
I removed all the horns, and put one together with a handful of Tee
connectors. Someone was tampering with a desk in our office. Imagine
their surprise when they opened the drawer, and that contraption went
off? They were nearly deaf before the can was empty. ;-)

ROFLMAO!!

He learned a hard lesson that day: "Never screw around with the
engineer's toys!"

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

The boy is 34 now...and he has a son about the same age....so perhaps
HE is going to get a drum set....and HE has ADHD.....
(evil grin)........

Don't you have any spare freon powered air horns?

actually..I do..but have you priced freon for them recently??? I did
today..its $18 freaking dollars for a can!!

My shopping list is a pair of Grover Organtones, and a nice 1/3 or1/2
HP compressor - the Thomas TA-3101DC or TA-4101DC Something I can use
a rattle-gun with, short of putting the full on 13-HP 30-gallon in the
bed.

I have to crawl under the truck to see how much receiver I have room
for under the bed - I can probably get a 12-gallon under there.

I was at harbor Freight, and it was cheaper than that. Sam's club
had a decent price on a case of cans, but I doubt it would take more
than half a can to make your point. ;-)

The reason I was looking is the A/C on my truck quit and needs
recharged. I have everything I need, BUT enough R134 so I was checking
the prices.

I happen to have a 30lb tank of R134..unopened...G And no..Im not
going to send it to you.

R-134 is cheap enough that you should be able to buy a full bottle.
Shop by price - the only difference between the "Automotive" and
"Refrigeration" is the fitting on the bottle, and that might trip you
up if you didn't expect it.

"Automotive" tanks have the Acme buttress fitting, and "Refrigeration"
has the standard 1/4" Flare hose fitting. Adapters in both directions
are readily available for cheap.