Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost OT, but heated glue can needed?

Hi All,

Getting cold out here, snow on the ground overnight. I probably should put this on a woodworking group, but I like to always ask here first as you guys seem to be able to cover more/every topic.

I am using a water-based glue to assemble a large wooden project and I am brushing on the glue with a 2" paint brush.

I need to be able to keep the paint pot warm. I am thinking of an immersion heater with thermostat for about 100F. I am thinking that if I have say, 3" of water in the bottom of the heater pot, I can then sit the glue pot in that and convection will do the rest for the glue in the inner pot.

Anyone know of a cheap 110v immersion heater with fixed or (adjustable) thermostat I can use to make this pot-warmer? I picked up an old lead melting pot at a yard sale for $5, but it does not go down low enough and the water boils away in about 10-minutes. I also tried our electric kettle, (don't tell momma {gasp}) but same again, it has no "warm," setting.

I also found some heaters for science labs but I'd have to re-mortgage the house for one.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
[...]

A small crockpot on the low setting might work, if you watch the
temperature with a thermometer. Mine puts out only 70W on Low, 100W on
High, and so heats the ceramic pot slowly.

I use it on 100W with an inverter with undervoltage shutoff as a safe
capacity test load for 12V batteries.

Used lab hotplates go cheaply in second-hand tool stores here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" fired this volley in
:

Hi All,

Getting cold out here, snow on the ground overnight. I probably should
put this on a woodworking group, but I like to always ask here first
as you guys seem to be able to cover more/every topic.

I am using a water-based glue to assemble a large wooden project and I
am brushing on the glue with a 2" paint brush.

I need to be able to keep the paint pot warm. I am thinking of an

Hmmm... is it cold enough to freeze the glue, or are you just trying to
keep it "brushable"?

You can't let it freeze, even on the workpiece. It will curdle and lose
its effectiveness if you do -- even after it's applied!

You'd be better to borrow or rent a salamander and just keep the room
(and workpiece) warm enough to prevent freezing until it has a chance to
dry. Is the job worth a couple of gallons of kerosene?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Most hide-glue aficionados that don't insist on "a proper gluepot" use a
mug warmer, but I guess you are not really using hide glue and are using
a larger pot. For what you are doing, a crock-pot or electric skillet
(the classics all have a thermostat that goes quite low) from the junk
shoppe should suit in the $5 range. If LOW on the crock-pot isn't low
enough, pick up an incandescent lamp dimmer - they are typically 75W or
so on low, so it doesn't have to be a particularly beefy dimmer. A plain
old "one burner electric hot-plate" should also work, depending what
your local junk-shoppe has.

Remember to use some sort of rack to hold the glue pot off the bottom of
the pot so water can circulate all around.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks guys, mostly I just want the stuff to not freeze overnight. It is warm enough in the garage when working out there as I don't go out until after midday and it has warmed up enough to work.

So far the applied glue must be drying enough before it gets too cold out there as it is holding well. My guess is that the garage does not drop to around freezing until around midnight.

I bought an inside/outside wireless thermometer but it only worked for two days so I am still not sure when and what temps it gets down to. The glue instructions say allow 1 to 3-hours to set so it seems to be working OK at the the temps.

I was hoping to make something a little more bespoke and compact rather than a frypan or crockpot, but thanks for the thoughts. I will cruise the junk shoppes and see what I can find that might be better.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/11/13 15:36, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
[...]

How about an aquarium heater, cheap and readily available.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Momma got an electric fondue pot she won't be using until company comes over
for the holidays? How about a garage sale electric crockpot on low?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:08:17 PM UTC-5, Ecnerwal wrote:
If LOW on the crock-pot isn't low

enough, pick up an incandescent lamp dimmer - they are typically 75W or

so on low, so it doesn't have to be a particularly beefy dimmer. A plain

old "one burner electric hot-plate" should also work, depending what

your local junk-shoppe has.

I second this. A typical light dimmer is good for 600 watts. I have made a couple of kludges that I use for various things such as keeping a soldering iron warm and then changing it to full power. Get a double electrical box and put in a lahp dimmer and a receptacle. Add a power cord and wire it so the lamp dimmer controls the receptacle. Now anything plugged in the receptacle can be controlled. You can use it for your glue warmer , for controlling the temperature of a wire to cut plastic foam, etc.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Go to the craft store and pick up a potpourri pot . They "simmer" a
mixture of herbs/shavings/ water , add a dimmer from the hardware store and
Robert's your mothers brother .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Can't you just bring the glue pot into the house?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/5/2013 10:36 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
[...]

1) used crock pot from the second hand shop?
2) Harvest an aquastat from a home heating boiler
3) Thermostat from electric water heater off the
curb

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/05/2013 07:36 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
[...]

Easy, just hook it up to your variac.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 07:36:41 -0800 (PST), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

[...]

How about a baby bottle warmer, Dave? Used, 99 cents on eBay.
http://tinyurl.com/kouhkps

Brazilian (not a number, Shrub) hot wax heater?
http://tinyurl.com/kle4swd Think outside the box. sorry ;

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

When I make jewelry I use a flea market crock pot to heat my pickle. It
has a "warm" and a "hot" setting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:03:08 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

How about a baby bottle warmer, Dave? Used, 99 cents on eBay.

Larry, you da man. That will be perfect. I can use a smaller pot for the glue. Awesome solution.

Your second suggestion made my eyes water, partly from imagined pain and partly from laughter at the pun.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 08:04:29 -0500, bobm46 wrote:

[...]

I could have gone for the rest of my life without pondering the above
statement.

http://www.newmalecontraception.org/heat-methods/

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/6/2013 2:32 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I could have gone for the rest of my life without pondering the above
statement.

http://www.newmalecontraception.org/heat-methods/

Well, nothing like the thought of all those
men with their balls in a crock pot set on
high.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:10:27 -0800 (PST), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:03:08 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

How about a baby bottle warmer, Dave? Used, 99 cents on eBay.

Larry, you da man. That will be perfect. I can use a smaller pot for the glue. Awesome solution.

And I'm not even married, nor have I ever used said implement.

Your second suggestion made my eyes water, partly from imagined pain and partly from laughter at the pun.

Thanks.

My consultation fee is a request to see a pic of whatever it is that
you're putting together.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:32:13 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Um, I think he meant "pickling solution for metal patination", G-mon.

http://www.newmalecontraception.org/heat-methods/

Fried balls? Yeouch!

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:04:29 AM UTC-6, bobm46 wrote:
[...]

Preferably, pat your pickle to prevent poaching when performing this procedure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Put it in a box with an incandescent light bulb.