Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear grease?

What is gear grease called? I'm talking about the common grease
that's used to lubricate gears. It's usually a glob stuck someplace
on the gears. I guess over time it works its way into the gears. In
any case, it's thick grease. Anybody know specifically or keywords
that I can look for?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-23, John Doe wrote:
What is gear grease called? I'm talking about the common grease
that's used to lubricate gears. It's usually a glob stuck someplace
on the gears. I guess over time it works its way into the gears. In
any case, it's thick grease. Anybody know specifically or keywords
that I can look for?

What speed? What temperature range? What size of gears? What
material are the gears (cast iron, steel, aluminum, bronze, brass,
plastic)? (Hope that it is *not* aluminum working on aluminum!) What
kind of load is applied to the gears (really high loads requires a high
pressure lubricant)? Fully enclosed? Straight tooth, bevel or
herringbone tooth, worm, or a hypoid gear like between the driveshaft
and differential ring gear in an automotive differential?

The reason you can't find much with just a search on "gear
grease" is that there are too many specialized versions for different
applications. A grease which would work fairly well on the thread
changing gears on a lathe would be deadly in a differential (which, like
an automotive transmission, requires a specialized *oil*, not a grease.

For that matter -- there are specialized greases which are *not*
for lubrication at all, such as high vacuum grease.

Give us a bit more information, and likely someone here will be
able to answer you properly.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The thickest common grease available. The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/23/2013 1:04 PM, John Doe wrote:

I'm talking about most gears in household items like in the workshop
or a tool shed. "Common thick grease, usually a glob stuck someplace
on the gears".

Well, again, there were probably a variety that were used by the various
OEMs depending on whether they were nylon/plastic, metal, and just what
in particular the application was.

But for just general application, go to the local autoparts and by a
grease gun and cartridge of general-purpose grease for it and you'll
likely be just fine. Or, a pound can of wheel-bearing grease if just
want a "dip-the-finger-in" solution.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's called ****ing general purpose grease.

The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

thickens when it gets old and dried up.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.

**** off, asshole..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 17:48:19 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

The thickest common grease available. The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.

I just went and looked. The can I have is labeled "cup grease".
The name comes from the old time "grease cups" that were a common
lubrication device in their day.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-23, John Doe wrote:
The thickest common grease available. The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

Most of your examples don't strike me as things which use gears.

And is a chainsaw a "household" item?

A chainsaw is normally lubricated from an oil reservoir which
you have to fill fairly often. (At least the chain drive sprocket and
such). So it is not too helpful. And it normally has the motor shaft
connected by a centrifugal clutch to the sprocket, so there are no gears
elsewhere anyway.

A lawnmower -- electric or gasoline powered? Or push-type reel
lawnmower? And where in the lawnmower? Gasoline powered, even self
propelled ones don't use much in the way of exposed gears. The reel
type do, where the inside of the wheel has gear teeth to spin the blade
reel. Proably some of the wheel bearing grease below would work there,
depending on the weather.

A *riding* lawnmower likely has enclosed gears in the
transmission, and is lubricated by oil, not grease.

By grass trimmer, I think of a weed whipper, and I don't know of
any gears in that, either. Just a flexible shaft from the motor's shaft
down to the spinning cartridge which pays out the nylon string.

The thickest non-special-purpose grease I've dealt with (the
thickest special purpose was a high-vacuum grease) was some I bought
back in the early 1960s -- a hub bearing grease for automotive front
hubs. But that is a bit thick for a lot of applications.

For general purpose (not nearly that thick), I would consider
LubriPlate. That would be good for the reel type lawnmower.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.

Everything is industrial to someone who doesn't know how to do
it. And you would be surprised at how many special skillsets you can
find here.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use cup grease on my 1948 Wood lathe. Un-screw the cup -
fill it full and screw it on. When back pressure occurs, the
unit is greased and there is more to add once running.

Normally a 'skin' develops on grease that is open tot he air.

Martin

wrote:

The thickest common grease available. The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.

I just went and looked. The can I have is labeled "cup grease".
The name comes from the old time "grease cups" that were a common
lubrication device in their day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" BPdnicholsBP d-and-d.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

The thickest common grease available. The kind found in
ordinary household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass
trimmer, a chainsaw, ect.

Most of your examples don't strike me as things which use
gears.

They do if they are electric. Gas powered grass trimmer attachments
use gears.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:05:04 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I use cup grease on my 1948 Wood lathe. Un-screw the cup -
fill it full and screw it on. When back pressure occurs, the
unit is greased and there is more to add once running.

Normally a 'skin' develops on grease that is open tot he air.

Martin

Well, 65 years ago can well be referred to as "old time" :-)

wrote:

The thickest common grease available. The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.

I just went and looked. The can I have is labeled "cup grease".
The name comes from the old time "grease cups" that were a common
lubrication device in their day.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/22/2013 11:12 PM, John Doe wrote:
What is gear grease called? I'm talking about the common grease
that's used to lubricate gears. It's usually a glob stuck someplace
on the gears. I guess over time it works its way into the gears. In
any case, it's thick grease. Anybody know specifically or keywords
that I can look for?

Thanks.

I've been happy with "Mobil 1" grease for most GP applications. We used
to order "#2 cup grease" which is really cheap but you get what you pay
for. Get the best grease you can afford for the application.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:12:01 PM UTC-6, John Doe wrote:
What is gear grease called? I'm talking about the common grease that's used to lubricate gears. It's usually a glob stuck someplace on the gears. I guess over time it works its way into the gears. In any case, it's thick grease. Anybody know specifically or keywords that I can look for? Thanks.

There's white lithium that's used on small-motor gear trains that use metal gears that aren't high speed or loaded heavily. There's moly grease that's used on metal gears that are loaded heavier. There's hypoid lube that's used in heavily loaded enclosed gear trains, full of zinc and sulfur compounds that stink. Then there's synthetic gels with PTFE added for nylon and plastic gear trains found in a lot of other appliances. There's any number of chassis greases of various sorts for low-speed, high-pressure application in vehicle suspensions. All of this stuff is in common use and can be found at auto parts or hardware stores. What's your application?

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:49:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I was looking into this some time ago when it came to the plastic
gears in my mini mill. The vendor recommended grease (white lithium,
NLGI #2) which is not available locally.

The question is, how much latitude is there in substituting or, to put
it the other way, how much damage can you cause by using a different
grease. In my case I had a NLGI #2 black moly grease, apparently high
quality, which I use for everything else.

What could go wrong apart from the color change?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

If you add a new type of grease without cleaning off every speck of the old
grease there is a chance the bases of the two greases might be incompatible.
They can react and form a very ungrease-like gunk. Here is a chart of
compatibility:
http://thelubricantstore.com/grease-compatibility-chart

The other issue is the components of the grease should be compatible with
the plastic. This article indicates that moly is usually NOT good on
plastic.
http://machinedesign.com/mechanical-...gears-and-more

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Does it contain plastic-eating solvents or additives? Oops! g

You can find spray white lithium grease at AutoZone in the USA, dunno
'bout Princess Auto up in the Great White Nort.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]