Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Gear grease?

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:05:04 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I use cup grease on my 1948 Wood lathe. Un-screw the cup -
fill it full and screw it on. When back pressure occurs, the
unit is greased and there is more to add once running.

Normally a 'skin' develops on grease that is open tot he air.

Martin

Well, 65 years ago can well be referred to as "old time" :-)

On 9/23/2013 8:17 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 17:48:19 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

The thickest common grease available. The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.

I just went and looked. The can I have is labeled "cup grease".
The name comes from the old time "grease cups" that were a common
lubrication device in their day.

--
Cheers,

John B.