Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear grease?

On 9/22/2013 11:12 PM, John Doe wrote:
What is gear grease called? I'm talking about the common grease
that's used to lubricate gears. It's usually a glob stuck someplace
on the gears. I guess over time it works its way into the gears. In
any case, it's thick grease. Anybody know specifically or keywords
that I can look for?

Thanks.

I've been happy with "Mobil 1" grease for most GP applications. We used
to order "#2 cup grease" which is really cheap but you get what you pay
for. Get the best grease you can afford for the application.