Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Screwcutting Gear Ratio Calculator Threading Screw Cutting Lathe Gear Selector

This calculator offers numerous options to suit several different lathes.

http://www.imagesalad.com/lathenovic...athegears.html

http://lathenovice.wordpress.com/

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:29:35 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

This calculator offers numerous options to suit several different
lathes.

http://www.imagesalad.com/lathenovic...athegears.html

http://lathenovice.wordpress.com/

Interesting, but wouldn't work with my Smithy, which has a gearbox
between the change gears and the lead screw (said gearbox having a fast/
slow lever that changes the ratio by 2:1).

I've just got a chart of all possible combinations, with most of the
repeats winnowed out.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:29:35 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

This calculator offers numerous options to suit several different
lathes.

Interesting, but wouldn't work with my Smithy, which has a gearbox
between the change gears and the lead screw (said gearbox having a
fast/
slow lever that changes the ratio by 2:1).

The gearing isn't that difficult to figure out. If the spindle and
leadscrew turn at the same speed, the lathe will copy the leadscrew's
pitch. For other pitches the cut-thread-to-leadscrew ratio equals the
gear ratio.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Smithy 1220XL, but it's been in a crate for the past couple of
years.

If one of the headstock case Hi/Low selector positions is 1:1, a gear
calculator should werk.. I can't say for sure.

Maybe you could send a copy of the chart to the metalworking dropbox:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html

--
WB

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:29:35 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

This calculator offers numerous options to suit several different
lathes.

http://www.imagesalad.com/lathenovic...athegears.html

http://lathenovice.wordpress.com/

Interesting, but wouldn't work with my Smithy, which has a gearbox
between the change gears and the lead screw (said gearbox having a fast/
slow lever that changes the ratio by 2:1).

I've just got a chart of all possible combinations, with most of the
repeats winnowed out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I have a Smithy 1220XL, but it's been in a crate for the past couple
of years.

If one of the headstock case Hi/Low selector positions is 1:1, a
gear calculator should werk.. I can't say for sure.

If not you figure out an equivalent leadscrew pitch that is 1:1 to the
spindle with equal-sized gears in the train.

Say the leadscrew pitch is 4 TPI and installing equal-sized change
gears on the banjo makes it turn half as fast as the spindle. You
would calculate threading gear ratios as though it were 8TPI.

On my lathe the quick-change gearbox input shaft turns at 3/7 of the
spindle speed.

jsw