DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Screwcutting Gear Ratio Calculator Threading Screw Cutting Lathe Gear Selector (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/338240-screwcutting-gear-ratio-calculator-threading-screw-cutting-lathe-gear-selector.html)

Wild_Bill April 3rd 12 07:29 PM

Screwcutting Gear Ratio Calculator Threading Screw Cutting Lathe Gear Selector

This calculator offers numerous options to suit several different lathes.

http://www.imagesalad.com/lathenovic...athegears.html

http://lathenovice.wordpress.com/

--
WB

Tim Wescott April 3rd 12 08:03 PM

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:29:35 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

This calculator offers numerous options to suit several different
lathes.

http://www.imagesalad.com/lathenovic...athegears.html

http://lathenovice.wordpress.com/

Interesting, but wouldn't work with my Smithy, which has a gearbox
between the change gears and the lead screw (said gearbox having a fast/
slow lever that changes the ratio by 2:1).

I've just got a chart of all possible combinations, with most of the
repeats winnowed out.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Jim Wilkins[_2_] April 3rd 12 10:13 PM

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:29:35 -0400, Wild_Bill wrote:

This calculator offers numerous options to suit several different
lathes.

Interesting, but wouldn't work with my Smithy, which has a gearbox
between the change gears and the lead screw (said gearbox having a
fast/
slow lever that changes the ratio by 2:1).

The gearing isn't that difficult to figure out. If the spindle and
leadscrew turn at the same speed, the lathe will copy the leadscrew's
pitch. For other pitches the cut-thread-to-leadscrew ratio equals the
gear ratio.

jsw

Wild_Bill April 8th 12 07:14 PM

Screwcutting Gear Ratio Calculator Threading Screw Cutting Lathe Gear Selector

I have a Smithy 1220XL, but it's been in a crate for the past couple of
years.

If one of the headstock case Hi/Low selector positions is 1:1, a gear
calculator should werk.. I can't say for sure.

Maybe you could send a copy of the chart to the metalworking dropbox:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html

--
WB

Jim Wilkins[_2_] April 9th 12 12:26 AM

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I have a Smithy 1220XL, but it's been in a crate for the past couple
of years.

If one of the headstock case Hi/Low selector positions is 1:1, a
gear calculator should werk.. I can't say for sure.

If not you figure out an equivalent leadscrew pitch that is 1:1 to the
spindle with equal-sized gears in the train.

Say the leadscrew pitch is 4 TPI and installing equal-sized change
gears on the banjo makes it turn half as fast as the spindle. You
would calculate threading gear ratios as though it were 8TPI.

On my lathe the quick-change gearbox input shaft turns at 3/7 of the
spindle speed.

jsw