Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear grease?

On 2013-09-23, John Doe wrote:
The thickest common grease available. The kind found in ordinary
household gearing like in a lawnmower, a grass trimmer, a chainsaw,
ect.

Most of your examples don't strike me as things which use gears.

And is a chainsaw a "household" item?

A chainsaw is normally lubricated from an oil reservoir which
you have to fill fairly often. (At least the chain drive sprocket and
such). So it is not too helpful. And it normally has the motor shaft
connected by a centrifugal clutch to the sprocket, so there are no gears
elsewhere anyway.

A lawnmower -- electric or gasoline powered? Or push-type reel
lawnmower? And where in the lawnmower? Gasoline powered, even self
propelled ones don't use much in the way of exposed gears. The reel
type do, where the inside of the wheel has gear teeth to spin the blade
reel. Proably some of the wheel bearing grease below would work there,
depending on the weather.

A *riding* lawnmower likely has enclosed gears in the
transmission, and is lubricated by oil, not grease.

By grass trimmer, I think of a weed whipper, and I don't know of
any gears in that, either. Just a flexible shaft from the motor's shaft
down to the spinning cartridge which pays out the nylon string.

The thickest non-special-purpose grease I've dealt with (the
thickest special purpose was a high-vacuum grease) was some I bought
back in the early 1960s -- a hub bearing grease for automotive front
hubs. But that is a bit thick for a lot of applications.

For general purpose (not nearly that thick), I would consider
LubriPlate. That would be good for the reel type lawnmower.

If I were talking about an industrial application, I would be asking
somebody else.

Everything is industrial to someone who doesn't know how to do
it. And you would be surprised at how many special skillsets you can
find here.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--