Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapping puzzler

I'm making a brake line tee for a guy , and I'm having trouble getting an
acceptable fit . The compression nut reads 9.85 mm x 1mm pitch . The tap I
bought measures 10.10 ... and the nut is way too loose in the threads . I'm
wondering if this auto parts store tap is oversize ... might be OK for a
bolt thru a bracket or something , but I'm not using it for this job . Is
there a chart somewhere that has size data for taps by fit class ?

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BQ340" wrote in message
On 7/13/2013 9:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm making a brake line tee for a guy , and I'm having trouble getting an
acceptable fit . The compression nut reads 9.85 mm x 1mm pitch . The tap
bought measures 10.10 ... and the nut is way too loose in the threads .
I'm
wondering if this auto parts store tap is oversize ... might be OK for a
bolt thru a bracket or something , but I'm not using it for this job . Is
there a chart somewhere that has size data for taps by fit class ?

Flare fittings should be used for brakes, not compression.

For a brake line its typically a double flare fitting. Also, amazingly
enough if you "over" tighten them they are more likely to leak then if you
under tighten them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"BQ340" wrote in message
On 7/13/2013 9:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm making a brake line tee for a guy , and I'm having trouble getting
an
acceptable fit . The compression nut reads 9.85 mm x 1mm pitch . The tap
bought measures 10.10 ... and the nut is way too loose in the threads .
I'm
wondering if this auto parts store tap is oversize ... might be OK for a
bolt thru a bracket or something , but I'm not using it for this job .
Is
there a chart somewhere that has size data for taps by fit class ?

Flare fittings should be used for brakes, not compression.

For a brake line its typically a double flare fitting. Also, amazingly
enough if you "over" tighten them they are more likely to leak then if you
under tighten them.

Yup , double flare . Looks like a little button on the end of the tube . Bob
, you wouldn't happen to know the included angle of that seat ? Looks like a
135 deg bit would work , 118 is too steep , it only contacts on the outside
edge . I can grind a bit to any angle in between , thanks to my neighbor .
He gave me a DD500X for fixing his older model.

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BQ340" wrote in message
[...]

Do yourself and the guy and just BUY the proper brake line tee.
Standard Weatherhead fittings are readilly available.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.
[...]

Wasn't my idea to begin with ... this is for my neighbor , done a fair bit
of work for him already . I do want this done right .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 22:06:03 -0400, BQ340
wrote:

On 7/13/2013 9:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm making a brake line tee for a guy , and I'm having trouble getting an
acceptable fit . The compression nut reads 9.85 mm x 1mm pitch . The tap I
bought measures 10.10 ... and the nut is way too loose in the threads . I'm
wondering if this auto parts store tap is oversize ... might be OK for a
bolt thru a bracket or something , but I'm not using it for this job . Is
there a chart somewhere that has size data for taps by fit class ?

Flare fittings should be used for brakes, not compression.

MikeB

Correct

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs laid this down on his screen :

"BQ340" wrote in message
[...]

Get a Professonal made part.
If you make it and fails you will never hear the end of it.

I had an amature job fail on a brake line 400 miles into the desert
north east of Alice Springs a long time ago. That was no fun. :/
Fortunatly there is very very little traffic out there.
And I had to make a new flare with a Phillips screwdriver to get
home!!!
It had been made by the previous owner,before I bought the vehicle. :-Z

--
John G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BQ340" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, that's a compression fitting. http://tinyurl.com/pz9afu5
25 seconds into the video, you'll see the brass sleeve/button.

Bob
, you wouldn't happen to know the included angle of that seat ? Looks like a
135 deg bit would work , 118 is too steep , it only contacts on the outside
edge . I can grind a bit to any angle in between , thanks to my neighbor .
He gave me a DD500X for fixing his older model.

Terry, I'm not sure you have the proper picture on the task.
Here's the picture for a double flared tube. The seat must be a
convex shape, not concave, so the bit will have to have a cone rather
than a point. http://tinyurl.com/o9mxa69 And the nut will have an
inner flare to the tip to mate the bell of the tube.

When I was wrenching, I only saw the Japanese style, not the Euro.
http://tinyurl.com/pnhvbdo Which is the one you're working on?

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The ISO/DIN or bubble flare in your link below and I have an M10 x 1 tap
, but it cuts an oversize thread - which is the whole problem here. The
vehicle in question is a Ford Mustang , late model 90-something , I think
.. He's putting a different master cylinder on because he's using a rear axle
with disc brakes , and I'm also making an adapter plate to mount that .
--
Snag

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message When I
was wrenching, I only saw the Japanese style, not the Euro.
http://tinyurl.com/pnhvbdo Which is the one you're working on?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
The ISO/DIN or bubble flare in your link below and I have an M10 x 1 tap
, but it cuts an oversize thread - which is the whole problem here. The
vehicle in question is a Ford Mustang , late model 90-something , I
think . He's putting a different master cylinder on because he's using a
rear axle with disc brakes , and I'm also making an adapter plate to mount
that .
--
Snag

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message When
I was wrenching, I only saw the Japanese style, not the Euro.
http://tinyurl.com/pnhvbdo Which is the one you're working on?

The most likely cause of the problem is that it might not be a metric
fitting but a more common 3/8-24 fitting.
The 3/8 has a smaller major diameter but is so close to the metric that the
3/8-24 will thread into a 10-1 (not suggested) but the 10-1 will not fit
into a 3/8-24 hole.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

[...]

Nope , this fitting will not thread into a 3/8-24 hole - though some of
the lines he's got must , as the proportioning valve he brought down has 2
holes threaded for it - but those also have the conical flare seat , not the
concave "bubble" flare .
The nut that goes in this fitting on the 1 piece of tube I've got for
fitment purposes measures 9.85MM and the thread profile matches exactly
with the tap I bought . As I said , this tap cuts an oversize thread , it
measures 10.11 MM . Allowing for truncated thread profiles , the tap should
measure just UNDER 10MM , not over .
--
Snag
Thanks to Larry Jacques , I now have a drawing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 22:44:02 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

.. .

"BQ340" wrote in message
[...]

You are working on a "critical safety system". "doing it right"
generally involves using parts made and certified for the purpose..

Buy the correct brake part for thr job. This coming from a licenced
auto mechanic and a machinist.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 08:14:41 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

The ISO/DIN or bubble flare in your link below and I have an M10 x 1 tap
, but it cuts an oversize thread - which is the whole problem here. The
vehicle in question is a Ford Mustang , late model 90-something , I think
. He's putting a different master cylinder on because he's using a rear axle
with disc brakes , and I'm also making an adapter plate to mount that .

All the parts for the disk brake conversion are available from Ford
and the aftermarket as that setup was used on the Ford Explorer. As
well as on the Mustang Cobra. Being a Ford it will be a standard
double flare - NOT a bubble flare - unless he is using brake parts
from a Euro Ford, perhaps.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 11:11:46 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:
As I said , this tap cuts an oversize thread , it
measures 10.11 MM . Allowing for truncated thread profiles , the tap should
measure just UNDER 10MM , not over .

The OD of normal taps is always larger than the nominal thread size.
Look at the thread tables in Machinery's Handbook and you'll see that
the major diameter of internal threads is the nominal diameter with a
plus tolerance.

10.11 mm OD for an M10x1 tap sounds about right.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There is something wrong with your logic. Ignoring the question of
what fits what I believe you will find that all taps cut a larger
diameter then the nominal size of the fastener. If, for example you
were to thread a 10 mm rod in the lathe and than drilled and tapped a
10 mm hole the male rod, being 10 mm must be threaded into a larger
hole, otherwise it would be an interference fit and damned hard to
screw in :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The ISO/DIN or bubble flare in your link below and I have an M10 x 1 tap
, but it cuts an oversize thread - which is the whole problem here. The
vehicle in question is a Ford Mustang , late model 90-something , I think
. He's putting a different master cylinder on because he's using a rear axle
with disc brakes , and I'm also making an adapter plate to mount that .

I think Clare has the best idea. Just buy the tee. Much
safer/easier.

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
As I said , this tap cuts an oversize thread , it
measures 10.11 MM . Allowing for truncated thread profiles , the tap should
measure just UNDER 10MM , not over .

The OD of normal taps is always larger than the nominal thread size.
Look at the thread tables in Machinery's Handbook and you'll see that
the major diameter of internal threads is the nominal diameter with a
plus tolerance.

And what you want to do to check the diameter of threads is to
measure the *pitch* diameter -- which is usually done on male threads
with three wires of selected diameter down in the Vs -- two on one side
and one on the other. This measures the surfaces which should mate.

The drawing below should be viewed with a fixed pitch font like
Courier. Any of the variable pitch fonts will cause the later
(right-most) parts to fall out of alignment on your screen.

~~~~~~~~~~
| | -- micrometer anvil
|________|
/\ /\()/\()/\ /\ /\ /\ /\
/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
/ \/ \/()\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \
_________
| |
| | -- Micrometer spindle
| |
~~~~~~~

The above shows how the wires should be placed, but they should be a
little bigger than shown (limits of ASCII graphics), so they project
above the thread crests. Then your micrometer can give you a precise
reading which can be converted to the pitch diameter by subtraction of a
constant which you look up.

10.11 mm OD for an M10x1 tap sounds about right.

Yes -- this makes a sharp V crest to the internal threads, to
clear any reasonable shape of crest on the mating threads -- Sharp,
flat-crested, or rounded.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

There is something wrong with your logic. Ignoring the question of
what fits what I believe you will find that all taps cut a larger
diameter then the nominal size of the fastener. If, for example you
were to thread a 10 mm rod in the lathe and than drilled and tapped
10 mm hole the male rod, being 10 mm must be threaded into a larger
hole, otherwise it would be an interference fit and damned hard to
screw in :-)
John B.

This one is easy to check. I measured a few 1/4" and 3/8" Greenfield
taps at 0.0015 - 0.002" under the nominal diameter.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:06:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

There is something wrong with your logic. Ignoring the question of
what fits what I believe you will find that all taps cut a larger
diameter then the nominal size of the fastener. If, for example you
were to thread a 10 mm rod in the lathe and than drilled and tapped
10 mm hole the male rod, being 10 mm must be threaded into a larger
hole, otherwise it would be an interference fit and damned hard to
screw in :-)
John B.

This one is easy to check. I measured a few 1/4" and 3/8" Greenfield
taps at 0.0015 - 0.002" under the nominal diameter.
jsw

Then they won't cut proper UN threads. The *minimum* major diameter
for 1/4-20 UNC - 2B (and 1B & 3B) internal threads is .2500. Likewise,
the minimum major diameter is equal to the nominal size (the basic
major diameter) for all 1B, 2B and 3B UN threads. Similar rules apply
to metric threads.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
As I said , this tap cuts an oversize thread , it
measures 10.11 MM . Allowing for truncated thread profiles , the tap should
measure just UNDER 10MM , not over .

The OD of normal taps is always larger than the nominal thread size.
Look at the thread tables in Machinery's Handbook and you'll see that
the major diameter of internal threads is the nominal diameter with a
plus tolerance.

And what you want to do to check the diameter of threads is to
measure the *pitch* diameter -- which is usually done on male threads
with three wires of selected diameter down in the Vs -- two on one side
and one on the other. This measures the surfaces which should mate.

The drawing below should be viewed with a fixed pitch font like
Courier. Any of the variable pitch fonts will cause the later
(right-most) parts to fall out of alignment on your screen.

~~~~~~~~~~
| | -- micrometer anvil
|________|
/\ /\()/\()/\ /\ /\ /\ /\
/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
/ \/ \/()\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \
_________
| |
| | -- Micrometer spindle
| |
~~~~~~~

The above shows how the wires should be placed, but they should be a
little bigger than shown (limits of ASCII graphics), so they project
above the thread crests. Then your micrometer can give you a precise
reading which can be converted to the pitch diameter by subtraction of a
constant which you look up.

10.11 mm OD for an M10x1 tap sounds about right.

Yes -- this makes a sharp V crest to the internal threads, to
clear any reasonable shape of crest on the mating threads -- Sharp,
flat-crested, or rounded.

But not sharp sharp, just sharper than the mating external thread.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This one is easy to check. I measured a few 1/4" and 3/8" Greenfield
taps at 0.0015 - 0.002" under the nominal diameter.
jsw

Then they won't cut proper UN threads. The *minimum* major diameter
for 1/4-20 UNC - 2B (and 1B & 3B) internal threads is .2500.
Likewise,
the minimum major diameter is equal to the nominal size (the basic
major diameter) for all 1B, 2B and 3B UN threads. Similar rules
apply
to metric threads.
Ned Simmons

OK, many of my tools were second-hand. New 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 taps
measured 3-4 thousandths over nominal size.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 08:14:41 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

The ISO/DIN or bubble flare in your link below and I have an M10 x 1
tap , but it cuts an oversize thread - which is the whole problem here.
The vehicle in question is a Ford Mustang , late model 90-something , I
think . He's putting a different master cylinder on because he's using
a rear axle with disc brakes , and I'm also making an adapter plate to
mount that .

Forgive me if someone's already said this, but -- you can buy all sorts
of brake line fittings. Tee joints should be easy. Even adapters from
one thread type to another should be available if you're willing to mail-
order from performance shops.

It's not something that I'd want to mess with, other than perhaps to put
a notch in my gun-butt: "been there, done that, look ain't I competent."
Having done it I'd probably never do it again.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:52:49 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Most..not all perhaps..but MOST NAPA stores have those adapters (at
least in my area) and their website lists all kinds

http://www.napaonline.com/

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This one is easy to check. I measured a few 1/4" and 3/8" Greenfield
taps at 0.0015 - 0.002" under the nominal diameter.
jsw

Then they won't cut proper UN threads. The *minimum* major diameter
for 1/4-20 UNC - 2B (and 1B & 3B) internal threads is .2500.
Likewise,
the minimum major diameter is equal to the nominal size (the basic
major diameter) for all 1B, 2B and 3B UN threads. Similar rules
apply
to metric threads.
Ned Simmons

OK, many of my tools were second-hand. New 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 taps
measured 3-4 thousandths over nominal size.
jsw

You got me wondering so I checked some taps I have that are old enough
to be marked "USS." USS threads were superseded by National (NC, NF)
threads, which were in turn replaced by UN threads. Even the USS taps
I checked, which happened to be Greenfield taps, had a major dia
greater than nominal. What I don't know, because the oldest MH I have
covers only National threads in detail, is whether the USS standard
insisted on the oversize major dia.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Most of the required fittings are in stock at any reasonably
equipped auto parts store. I can get just about anything from any of
5 or 6 within 5 miles by just walking in - and overnight from any of
them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

NAPA always has the best price on custom made hydraulic hoses, too.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Another RCD puzzler Luke UK diy 58 November 10th 10 06:33 PM
Vacuum Cleaner Puzzler No Name Home Repair 3 April 16th 10 04:53 AM
Tapping aluminum (or tapping on wood?) Ed Huntress Metalworking 2 December 18th 07 05:51 AM
Tapping aluminum (or tapping on wood?) Louis Ohland Metalworking 12 December 17th 07 06:07 AM
PUZZLER??? Jack the Lad UK diy 12 February 7th 04 04:59 PM