Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John G John G is offline

Default Tapping puzzler

Terry Coombs laid this down on his screen :
wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 21:51:42 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"BQ340" wrote in message
On 7/13/2013 9:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm making a brake line tee for a guy , and I'm having trouble getting
an
acceptable fit . The compression nut reads 9.85 mm x 1mm pitch . The
tap
bought measures 10.10 ... and the nut is way too loose in the threads .
I'm
wondering if this auto parts store tap is oversize ... might be OK for
bolt thru a bracket or something , but I'm not using it for this job .
Is
there a chart somewhere that has size data for taps by fit class ?

Flare fittings should be used for brakes, not compression.

For a brake line its typically a double flare fitting. Also, amazingly
enough if you "over" tighten them they are more likely to leak then if
you
under tighten them.

Yup , double flare . Looks like a little button on the end of the tube .
Bob
, you wouldn't happen to know the included angle of that seat ? Looks like
135 deg bit would work , 118 is too steep , it only contacts on the outside
edge . I can grind a bit to any angle in between , thanks to my neighbor .
He gave me a DD500X for fixing his older model.

Do yourself and the guy and just BUY the proper brake line tee.
Standard Weatherhead fittings are readilly available.

Wasn't my idea to begin with ... this is for my neighbor , done a fair bit
of work for him already . I do want this done right .

Get a Professonal made part.
If you make it and fails you will never hear the end of it.

I had an amature job fail on a brake line 400 miles into the desert
north east of Alice Springs a long time ago. That was no fun. :/
Fortunatly there is very very little traffic out there.
And I had to make a new flare with a Phillips screwdriver to get
home!!!
It had been made by the previous owner,before I bought the vehicle. :-Z

--
John G