Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapping puzzler

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"BQ340" wrote in message
On 7/13/2013 9:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm making a brake line tee for a guy , and I'm having trouble getting
an
acceptable fit . The compression nut reads 9.85 mm x 1mm pitch . The tap
bought measures 10.10 ... and the nut is way too loose in the threads .
I'm
wondering if this auto parts store tap is oversize ... might be OK for a
bolt thru a bracket or something , but I'm not using it for this job .
Is
there a chart somewhere that has size data for taps by fit class ?

Flare fittings should be used for brakes, not compression.

For a brake line its typically a double flare fitting. Also, amazingly
enough if you "over" tighten them they are more likely to leak then if you
under tighten them.

Yup , double flare . Looks like a little button on the end of the tube . Bob
, you wouldn't happen to know the included angle of that seat ? Looks like a
135 deg bit would work , 118 is too steep , it only contacts on the outside
edge . I can grind a bit to any angle in between , thanks to my neighbor .
He gave me a DD500X for fixing his older model.

--
Snag