Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapping puzzler

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
The ISO/DIN or bubble flare in your link below and I have an M10 x 1
tap , but it cuts an oversize thread - which is the whole problem here.
The vehicle in question is a Ford Mustang , late model 90-something , I
think . He's putting a different master cylinder on because he's using a
rear axle with disc brakes , and I'm also making an adapter plate to
mount that .
--
Snag

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
When I was wrenching, I only saw the Japanese style, not the Euro.
http://tinyurl.com/pnhvbdo Which is the one you're working on?

The most likely cause of the problem is that it might not be a metric
fitting but a more common 3/8-24 fitting.
The 3/8 has a smaller major diameter but is so close to the metric that
the 3/8-24 will thread into a 10-1 (not suggested) but the 10-1 will not
fit into a 3/8-24 hole.

Paul K. Dickman

Nope , this fitting will not thread into a 3/8-24 hole - though some of
the lines he's got must , as the proportioning valve he brought down has 2
holes threaded for it - but those also have the conical flare seat , not the
concave "bubble" flare .
The nut that goes in this fitting on the 1 piece of tube I've got for
fitment purposes measures 9.85MM and the thread profile matches exactly
with the tap I bought . As I said , this tap cuts an oversize thread , it
measures 10.11 MM . Allowing for truncated thread profiles , the tap should
measure just UNDER 10MM , not over .
--
Snag
Thanks to Larry Jacques , I now have a drawing