Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapping aluminum (or tapping on wood?)

I got some work done on re-mounting my Y-axis scale on my Sieg X3.
Instead of drilling into the cast iron, I'm mounting the scale to a
1.50" wide piece of aluminum. Milled a bit of a relief so the base will
fit on the left side of the saddle. This way most of the swarf will stay
off the scale. Now that the scale beam is vertical, it again helps keep
the beam clean.

Maybe I grabbed the wrong tap... I'll czech it tomorrow. I used a #25
for a 10x24 screw, but all the tap did was spin. All ready for tapping
bliss, had the spring loaded tap guide pushing the tap down...

If I grabbed a 10x32 tap, the hole would have been undersized (10x32
needs a #21).

Do normal taps work in 6061 aluminum, or should I go to a thread-former?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mechanical Magic wrote:
Yes, normal taps work fine in Aluminum. Check to make sure you
grabbed the correct drill size, always measure tap drills before
using.

I try not to machine when in a hurry or frustrated. Instead of making it
work, I just unshipped the collet, put away the clamps and cleaned up my
mill.

I see that Windex is supposed to be a good tapping fluid for aluminum...
Was looking on the web to see who handles Tapmagic in southern
Wisconsin... When Beloit Machine Supply closed, there's not much
machinist stuff around local...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 6:27�pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
� �I got some work done on re-mounting my Y-axis scale on my Sieg X3.
Instead of drilling into the cast iron, I'm mounting the scale to a

Do normal taps work in 6061 aluminum, or should I go to a thread-former?

Normal taps are OK. Be sure to use the correct cutting fluid. Ace
sells some stuff in a white can with black letteribtg abd red trim.
Makes the tap almost fall through. I think it is called Tap Magic. Get
the stuff for aluminum.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:
On Dec 15, 6:27�pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
� �I got some work done on re-mounting my Y-axis scale on my Sieg X3.
Instead of drilling into the cast iron, I'm mounting the scale to a
Do normal taps work in 6061 aluminum, or should I go to a thread-former?

Normal taps are OK. Be sure to use the correct cutting fluid. Ace
sells some stuff in a white can with black letteribtg abd red trim.
Makes the tap almost fall through. I think it is called Tap Magic. Get
the stuff for aluminum.

Odd, search Ace for Tap Magic or Tapmagic, no joy. Whatever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

I see that Windex is supposed to be a good tapping fluid for aluminum...
Was looking on the web to see who handles Tapmagic in southern
Wisconsin...

You can use any cutting oil. It would only make a difference in production.
You can even use spit for Al. No, not kidding!

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Mechanical Magic wrote:
Yes, normal taps work fine in Aluminum. Check to make sure you
grabbed the correct drill size, always measure tap drills before
using.

I try not to machine when in a hurry or frustrated. Instead of making
it work, I just unshipped the collet, put away the clamps and cleaned
up my mill.

I see that Windex is supposed to be a good tapping fluid for
aluminum... Was looking on the web to see who handles Tapmagic in
southern Wisconsin... When Beloit Machine Supply closed, there's not
much machinist stuff around local...

WD-40 works and is available almost everywhere.

Before I can return to the fun stuff, I've got to clear my driveway.
Time to fire up my automatic snow shovel... Oh damn, the battery's dead.
Where's the idiot stick....

4" of powder in Wisconsin. Tax that, Governor Doyle!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:18:11 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote:

Before I can return to the fun stuff, I've got to clear my driveway.
Time to fire up my automatic snow shovel... Oh damn, the battery's dead.
Where's the idiot stick....

But, that's what kids are for.

4" of powder in Wisconsin. Tax that, Governor Doyle!

Oh, I'm sure he's working on a way to do that. By the way a leaf blower
works VERY well on the fluffy stuff we got overnight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Mechanical Magic wrote:

Yes, normal taps work fine in Aluminum. Check to make sure you
grabbed the correct drill size, always measure tap drills before
using.

I try not to machine when in a hurry or frustrated. Instead of making it
work, I just unshipped the collet, put away the clamps and cleaned up my
mill.

I see that Windex is supposed to be a good tapping fluid for aluminum...
Was looking on the web to see who handles Tapmagic in southern
Wisconsin... When Beloit Machine Supply closed, there's not much
machinist stuff around local...

For aluminium use kerosene or #2 diesel works fine.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 10:27 am, Dave Hinz wrote:
By the way a leaf blower
works VERY well on the fluffy stuff we got overnight.

So does this, if the link works:

http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/HomeMadeMachines

Free (dead) tractor, home-made hydraulic loader, this is its 3rd
winter.

The other thingie is a sawmill made from a wrecked motorcycle.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Using a 10x24 tap, it threaded well. I used some LPS lubricant as
cutting fluid... I was at Ace today, and there's no cutting fluid by the
taps. Some nuclear rocket scientist must have reorganized the store...
or they must order cutting fluid...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mechanical Magic wrote:
Yes, normal taps work fine in Aluminum. Check to make sure you
grabbed the correct drill size, always measure tap drills before
using.

I try not to machine when in a hurry or frustrated. Instead of making it
work, I just unshipped the collet, put away the clamps and cleaned up my
mill.

I see that Windex is supposed to be a good tapping fluid for aluminum...
Was looking on the web to see who handles Tapmagic in southern
Wisconsin... When Beloit Machine Supply closed, there's not much
machinist stuff around local...

WD-40 works and is available almost everywhere.

WD40, The Wonder Drug. g

If you're going to use Tap Magic, make sure it's Tap Magic Aluminum. The
older Tap Magic for steel (and maybe the newer stuff -- mine is old) will
turn aluminum black, boil and bubble, and eat the threads away. Otherwise,
it's just fine. d8-)

Kerosene is the traditional tapping fluid for aluminum. But WD40 probably
won't hurt.

--
Ed Huntress

Cleanup after tapping AL Bill Schwab Metalworking 23 October 20th 07 09:45 PM
Tapping Radiators David UK diy 2 February 15th 06 09:21 PM
DIY tapping fixture Dave August Metalworking 9 March 12th 05 02:55 AM
resource for tapping and die-ing CusMarsh Metalworking 11 July 5th 04 10:40 PM
how to use a tapping head Aribert Metalworking 10 June 18th 04 01:37 PM