Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Copper cable going into the floor, cannot be pulled out

I entered into a business transaction of the sort "you buy two
compressors and whatever else you find in the building, including
wiring, for $500".

The building, a former car body shop, is to be demolished next week.

Today we took out a lot of wiring, including one inch copper mains
cables, and a 15 HP I-R T30 compressor and a 5 HP quincy compressor.

Pulled a lot of cable from the walls also. The cables pull, once we
released their "other ends" in their respective panels.

But here's a problem: one of the cables, I am guessing 2-0 gauge, four
conductors, is going into the conduit in the floor concrete.

We cannot find the panel that they are going to and we cannot pull
them out, as they are attached on their other ends. I am beginning to
think that perhaps they are extremely long and valuable.

Is there some low-tech way to trace where that conduit is going?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:54:06 PM UTC-6, Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

Where was the outside transformer?
On a pole, or on a cement pad?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

Well you might get lucky. Take an ohm meter and check for continuity
between any of the conductors and ground or each other. If you find a
good path grab a compass and connect up a low voltage DC source (12 volt
battery works well for this) to the conductive path with a self
resetting breaker. Now with the breaker tripping follow the compass
which will be going crazy with the magnetic field around the copper.
This is the same way the "short finder" kits for auto wiring works.

Another method would be a signal injector and it's tracking receiver.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

Wire that heavy was likely pulled in with a tractor or forklift. If
you think the wire is that valuable and the building is coming down use
a jack hammer to bust the concrete.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-27, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

My thinking goes in a little bit different direction. This building
has a huge parking lot. Maybe it goes to that parking lot.

The problem is that I cannot find any other panel that takes similar
cables going in.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-27, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

I may do this just to see where it is going, to find the direction..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-27, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

Could this possibly be the ground wire for the electrical panel? This could
go to a grounding plate, grounding rod, rebar in the slab, structural steel
post, copper wire in the slab, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

On 2013-02-27, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

Never mind. Just noticed you said 4 conductors, so this would not be a
ground wire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-27, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

No, there are four separate conductors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

How about hooking up a compressor and listen for the air escaping the
other end?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:54:06 -0600, Ignoramus5974
wrote:

[...]

Could they be the feed from the power company pole to the meter? The
power company may have disconnected the power at the pole.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-27, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

?????? ????? ??? ????????? ??????? ????????????? ??????? ??????? ???????? ??
???????????????, ??????? ??????????? ?? ????????? ????? ?????, ???????
????????? ? a13kv + promary /

Jerk ??????, numbnutz ... ????????, killfiling ???? ????? ????? ????,
??????? ?? ??????? ?? ??? ???? ?????, ?????? ???????? ?? probaby ?????.

???? ?????.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The basic kit is all you need. Just a toner and a receiver

http://www.wisecomponents.com/storec.../cableloc.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...nkw=wire+toner

They are all over Ebay for $30 or so . Got a electronics supply house
close by? Go snag one and hook the toner to one end of your wire..and
start hitting ever box, terminal and conductor you can find with the
wand. When you hear the noise...you can start narrowing your search.

Also check outside. There may..may be a vault outside with a
transformer in it that it goes to.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:38:33 -0600, Ignoramus5974

On 2013-02-27, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

It may be part of the original wiring and at one time it was
abandoned. That happens a lot with difficult to pull wiring.

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doc Doc is offline

Ignoramus5974 wrote in news:X_-
:

I entered into a business transaction of the sort "you buy two
compressors and whatever else you find in the building, including
wiring, for $500".

The building, a former car body shop, is to be demolished next week.

But here's a problem: one of the cables, I am guessing 2-0 gauge, four
conductors, is going into the conduit in the floor concrete.

Snippage

We cannot find the panel that they are going to and we cannot pull
them out, as they are attached on their other ends. I am beginning to
think that perhaps they are extremely long and valuable.

Is there some low-tech way to trace where that conduit is going?

The air compressor is a good one or even playing sound through a speaker
can work really well. If the building is that old, be careful of jack
hammering conduits. There are several cases (inluding one on a Navy
base) of unlabled LIVE cable runs under floors to other buildings. So if
the building was built after those around it or if the transformer vault
is located (or ever has been) in the interior of the building, you could
have a live feed sitting in a condiut under the slab. I had the
experience of opening a single phase panel in a three phase system and
having two conductors almost hit me in the face. They were the original
single phase feeders and when the building had the service upgraded,
they never bothered to pull the feeders out. The only problem.. they
were still live.

So, be careful of old building wiring as you cannot depend on people to
have followed reasonable procedures in making changes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Four conductor ground? Not likely.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Ignoramus5974" wrote in message
But here's a problem: one of the cables, I am guessing 2-0 gauge, four
conductors, is going into the conduit in the floor concrete.

Could this possibly be the ground wire for the electrical panel? This could
go to a grounding plate, grounding rod, rebar in the slab, structural steel
post, copper wire in the slab, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/26/2013 9:49 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Well you might get lucky. Take an ohm meter and check for continuity
between any of the conductors and ground or each other. If you find a
good path grab a compass and connect up a low voltage DC source (12 volt
battery works well for this) to the conductive path with a self
resetting breaker. Now with the breaker tripping follow the compass
which will be going crazy with the magnetic field around the copper.
This is the same way the "short finder" kits for auto wiring works.

The problem with that is that the cable is in conduit, which acts as a
magnetic shield

Another method would be a signal injector and it's tracking receiver.

Same problem.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/27/2013 12:13 AM, StephenB wrote:

How about hooking up a compressor and listen for the air escaping the
other end?

Oh ... I like that! Good thinking-outside-the-box.

Going with that idea and if you are positively, absolutely,
unequivocally certain that there is no power anywhe use water (stick
a hose in the conduit).

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Butt another Free Bidniss Consult toward the bottom line of Ig's Bidniss:

RF ringers, a dime a dozen, in Radio Shack iffin you want ot overpay.

Ig, when are you going to at least TIP RCM??
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The cable has to come up some where... and that some where should have a
cable tone that is detectable.

OP can mix up some orange Tang, and pump that into the conduit. Go around
and look for the orange stain.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

The problem with that is that the cable is in conduit, which acts as a
magnetic shield

Another method would be a signal injector and it's tracking receiver.

Same problem.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it is not the power feed, I vote for the air compressor idea.

I have used toner/tracers for years, and they are SHORT range
even when not in conduit. If you have a friend with Miss
Utility, they will have 38 Khz gear more suited, but....

The air will either announce itself or if it's no-flow, you can
guess the destination is buried and forgotten.

Chisel up enough floor to see the direction is another thought.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:

If it is not the power feed, I vote for the air compressor idea.

I have used toner/tracers for years, and they are SHORT range
even when not in conduit. If you have a friend with Miss
Utility, they will have 38 Khz gear more suited, but....

The air will either announce itself or if it's no-flow, you can
guess the destination is buried and forgotten.

Chisel up enough floor to see the direction is another thought.

That was why I suggested a jackhammer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 12:13*am, StephenB wrote:
Ignoramus5974 wrote:
[...]

Well, those are un-necessary costs. Just be there with the demo guy or
give him your number.
(especially if no one has a copy of the original prints - which most
counties are supposed to).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 12:13*am, StephenB wrote:

How about hooking up a compressor and listen for the air escaping the
other end *?

I mean, in demo, I've heard of filling the conduit up with red dyle
and water, and blowing it out of what panel it leads to, but yeah. If
the compressor is yours for a day, anyway. But #2 wire probably won't
pay for the operation, like that 500 would.
(gimping 500 wire is where you really start to put your money on)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:13:14 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

If it is not the power feed, I vote for the air compressor idea.

I have used toner/tracers for years, and they are SHORT range

Ive used them up to 300 feet with no issues.

even when not in conduit. If you have a friend with Miss
Utility, they will have 38 Khz gear more suited, but....

The air will either announce itself or if it's no-flow, you can
guess the destination is buried and forgotten.

Chisel up enough floor to see the direction is another thought.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message ...
[...]

He can't tie his shoe laces without asking a bunch of silly questions on usenet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner writes:

I have used toner/tracers for years, and they are SHORT range

Ive used them up to 300 feet with no issues.

Not range along the wire; range at right angles to it, when it is 8"
down in conduit.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:57:54 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone
wrote:

On Feb 27, 12:13*am, StephenB wrote:

How about hooking up a compressor and listen for the air escaping the
other end *?

I mean, in demo, I've heard of filling the conduit up with red dyle
and water, and blowing it out of what panel it leads to, but yeah. If
the compressor is yours for a day, anyway. But #2 wire probably won't
pay for the operation, like that 500 would.
(gimping 500 wire is where you really start to put your money on)

He said it was 2/0, four lead cable. Worth in the neighborhood of 4
dollars a foot.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:BvCdnZhJYukTHLPMnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

[...]

Ahm tellinya, we should be paid.

Did you see the post where, iiuc, he bought at an auction, and was tryna
flip on RCM cuz he didn't want to pick the **** up hisself?? goodgawd.....
I mean, sheeit, iffin yer gonna plague the group with endless Q's
benefitting yer bidniss, you should throw people a bone... he was looking
to triple his money on an auction flip.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================= ===

Ahm tellinya, we should be paid.

Did you see the post where, iiuc, he bought at an auction, and was tryna
flip on RCM cuz he didn't want to pick the **** up hisself?? goodgawd.....
I mean, sheeit, iffin yer gonna plague the group with endless Q's
benefitting yer bidniss, you should throw people a bone... he was looking
to triple his money on an auction flip.

I picked it up, made five times the money elsewhere, and sold it for
almost twice what I asked here. It was a good deal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================ ====

Ahm tellinya, we should be paid.

Did you see the post where, iiuc, he bought at an auction, and was tryna
flip on RCM cuz he didn't want to pick the **** up hisself??
goodgawd.....
I mean, sheeit, iffin yer gonna plague the group with endless Q's
benefitting yer bidniss, you should throw people a bone... he was
looking
to triple his money on an auction flip.

I picked it up, made five times the money elsewhere, and sold it for
almost twice what I asked here. It was a good deal.

You are the bizzy li'l merchant. Don't forget to tip RCM.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" fired this volley in
:

You are the bizzy li'l merchant. Don't forget to tip RCM.

In defense of Ig, he does. When he offers a deal here, it's a deal. Seems
like he's "paying his dues" to the group.

I've bought from him, based on an offer here. Would again.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential wrote in message

Butt another Free Bidniss Consult toward the bottom line of Ig's Bidniss:

He can't tie his shoe laces without asking a bunch of silly questions on
usenet.

Ahm tellinya, we should be paid.

Did you see the post where, iiuc, he bought at an auction, and was tryna
flip on RCM cuz he didn't want to pick the **** up hisself?? goodgawd.....
I mean, sheeit, iffin yer gonna plague the group with endless Q's
benefitting yer bidniss, you should throw people a bone... he was looking
to triple his money on an auction flip.

I find Iggy's posts of his adventures in the surplus/auction business
interesting. Certainly much more so than the endless guns and politics
crap. But the guns and politics crap gets ignored (I don't feel that I
would contribute anything by complaining about it). And his posts are
easily read - I don't find his spelling and grammar to be a challenge
(is "bidness" an attempt at humor, mock-redneck style, or just plain
redneck laziness?).

As far as "... endless Q's benefitting [sic] yer [sic] bidniss [sic]
....", no one has to answer, just as no one has to answer endless OT
questions about water heaters.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 4:24*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

Years ago Iggy complained to me in email about the prices I sell high
end tools for. Those would be tools he will never own and he can't
appreciate. Iggy is a worthless **** on a massive ego trip who will
never learn to be a machinist or a decent welder because he won't pay
his dues.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-28, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Existential Angst" fired this volley in
:

You are the bizzy li'l merchant. Don't forget to tip RCM.

In defense of Ig, he does. When he offers a deal here, it's a deal. Seems
like he's "paying his dues" to the group.

Yes, no pussy footing around.

I've bought from him, based on an offer here. Would again.

The welder works well?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15027 fired this volley in
:

The welder works well?

In all modes. It's better at welding than I am, but now that I have a
good welder, I'm becoming a better weldor... day by day.

Despite what some faggots spout about tools and skills they've never had
and never will have, real hardware getting used by real people is good.

Good, sound hardware, no matter (usually) how old, should never be
relegated to scrap; it should be re-sold to someone who needs it.

Queer bankers should be scrapped; but they'll die of AIDS soon enough, so
why waste even one breath doing what they're doing to themselves?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I see that it taxes your reading comprehension.....

As far as "... endless Q's benefitting [sic] yer [sic] bidniss [sic] ...",
no one has to answer, just as no one has to answer endless OT questions
about water heaters.

I take it you lernt nothing about water heaters in that thread, including
the notion of anodic protection of metals, electronic anodic protection,
pressure relief, etc? .

Y'all need to start wearing panties that don't bunch up so tight -- methinks
it's cutting off circulation....
--
EA

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-28, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. And, sadly and most importantly, this is still the kind of
line of work where one has to actually work for money, money does not
magically flow into the hands.