Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default sharpen a pencil sharpener?

The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:03:19 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

The standard way is to take a strip of fine emery cloth, wrap it
around the cutters, holding the ends of the strip in one hand, and
crank the sharpener with the other.

It sort of works. You now have a zero-rake pencil sharpener, but if it
was really dull, you had a negative-rake pencil sharpener before
sharpening it.

I've done it. It's Ok, but not great. Anything else requires a tool
grinder as big as a dishwasher.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eli the Bearded wrote:
The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Buy a new sharpener . Decent electric units are reasonable at just about
any office supply - and even on eBay .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Eli the Bearded wrote:

about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Buy a new sharpener . Decent electric units are reasonable at just about
any office supply - and even on eBay .
--

Get your new sharpener he
http://www.amazon.com/El-Casco-Chrom.../dp/B0042T3J9E

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And tiny tiny little wheels. Both in diameter and in thickness.

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:12:54 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

Eli the Bearded wrote:
The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Buy a new sharpener . Decent electric units are reasonable at just about
any office supply - and even on eBay .

Ayup. There Id have to agree. Check second hand stores as well.

Or you can buy the little single edged blade sharpeners from the 99c
store..something like 5 for a dollar. They work surprisingly well.

http://www.dollardays.com/wholesale-...harpeners.html

I have several wall mounted crank operated sharpeners that the
grandkids use. I tend to simply grab one of the above from a drawer
and be done in a couple seconds.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sometimes, if you don't push as hard on the pencil, the grind is smoother.

Spray the blades with clear silicone spray. Might help.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message
The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Somewhere around here I have a spare set of cutters for the old
"Boston" sharpener that came out of an abandonned school. It was
probably left because the celuloid strip forming the curved part of
the shaving container had disintegrated (easily replaced, it just
snaps into place) the cutters were in the back of the cabinet to which
the sharpener was attached.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One of mine is like that..over a 5 gallon bucket. Works fine.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:23:42 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

And tiny tiny little wheels. Both in diameter and in thickness.

Nah... you can do it on a 'cheap' Darex E-90, with the regular wheel. But
it's got to be dressed to a sharp edge on the shoulder, and re-dressed
frequently.

Lloyd

With a spiral pattern that sharp????

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 26, 3:03*pm, Eli the Bearded wrote:
The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

If you've got the patience, I suppose you could go over each and every
tooth with a diamond hone, they make smaller ones for just that sort
of thing. Mark each tooth with a Sharpie to see where you're hitting.
I've used Arkansas stones on smaller adjustable reamers to get all the
flutes to engage. It's just tedious. That's if you've got more time
than money. Unless it's a family heirloom pencil sharpener, just get
a new one.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

On Feb 26, 5:03*pm, Eli the Bearded wrote:
The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Sharpen a suitable piece of Cratex rubberized abrasive to a point.
Might sharpen as it sharpens?
Hey...there's a business opportunity in here somewhere!

--
PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, PCS wrote:
On Feb 26, 5:03 pm, Eli the Bearded wrote:
I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

Sharpen a suitable piece of Cratex rubberized abrasive to a point.
Might sharpen as it sharpens?

I think this suggestion wins for ingenuity. Wonder if it would work, though.

Elijah
------
and a sharpened rod of Cratex would have it's own uses

electric pencil sharpener on the fritz. How to fix? David Combs Home Repair 8 October 3rd 12 06:00 AM
Sharpen a step bit? Jon Danniken[_6_] Metalworking 51 April 23rd 12 11:51 PM
Lidl pencil sharpener handy for chamfering off dowel stick MM UK diy 0 July 31st 11 12:18 PM
sharpen a hole saw Jordan Metalworking 8 November 23rd 09 02:16 PM
Pencil sharpener bit HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 17 October 11th 09 07:45 PM