Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default sharpen a hole saw

A few days ago I was in the field, needed to drill some cable holes in
the floor of a shipping container. Blast! - I hit the steel plate where
the fork tynes go. The available hole saw, bimetal/HSS type of 1 1/16"
diameter, was blunt and unable to get through. Nothing to lose, I put a
1mm thick disc (3mm was too thick) in the 4" angle grinder, and had a go
at re-sharpening it free hand. Holding the saw in the drill between my
knees while sitting down, I gingerly ground by first undercutting the
teeth, then doing the tops, trying to get a uniform shape to all teeth.
It was quick and easy, and boy - it worked a treat, doing 4 holes
without needing regrinding. My workmates were incredulous. I love HSS.

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:02:11 GMT, Jordan
wrote:

A few days ago I was in the field, needed to drill some cable holes in
the floor of a shipping container. Blast! - I hit the steel plate where
the fork tynes go. The available hole saw, bimetal/HSS type of 1 1/16"
diameter, was blunt and unable to get through. Nothing to lose, I put a
1mm thick disc (3mm was too thick) in the 4" angle grinder, and had a go
at re-sharpening it free hand. Holding the saw in the drill between my
knees while sitting down, I gingerly ground by first undercutting the
teeth, then doing the tops, trying to get a uniform shape to all teeth.
It was quick and easy, and boy - it worked a treat, doing 4 holes
without needing regrinding. My workmates were incredulous. I love HSS.

Jordan

Dremel tools work pretty good too G

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:02:11 GMT, the infamous Jordan
scrawled the following:

A few days ago I was in the field, needed to drill some cable holes in
the floor of a shipping container. Blast! - I hit the steel plate where
the fork tynes go. The available hole saw, bimetal/HSS type of 1 1/16"
diameter, was blunt and unable to get through. Nothing to lose, I put a
1mm thick disc (3mm was too thick) in the 4" angle grinder, and had a go
at re-sharpening it free hand. Holding the saw in the drill between my
knees while sitting down, I gingerly ground by first undercutting the
teeth, then doing the tops, trying to get a uniform shape to all teeth.
It was quick and easy, and boy - it worked a treat, doing 4 holes
without needing regrinding. My workmates were incredulous. I love HSS.

Goodonya, Mate!

--
We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond
with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for sharing that - it's good info to have! In fact, I was using
a 6" hole saw at Habitat a couple of weeks ago & it was pretty dull. I
think I'll have a shot at sharpening it.

What about the tooth "set"? Every time you sharpen a saw it loses some
set, until it needs to be re-set. That's probably not possible with a
hole saw?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

What about the tooth "set"?

I only sharpened the teeth. It didn't look as nice as a new one, but
seemed to work just as well. It probably helped that is was a quality
Starrett hole saw.

Jordan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:55:19 -0500, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Thanks for sharing that - it's good info to have! In fact, I was using
a 6" hole saw at Habitat a couple of weeks ago & it was pretty dull. I
think I'll have a shot at sharpening it.

What about the tooth "set"? Every time you sharpen a saw it loses some
set, until it needs to be re-set. That's probably not possible with a
hole saw?

Sure it is, Bob. In case you don't have a saw set, here ya go:
http://fwd4.me/5Kh Unless it's bid up (infrequent any more) you'll
get it for $6.75, delivered.

Hey, that's less than LVT's shipping! snort

--
We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond
with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:24:28 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:55:19 -0500, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Thanks for sharing that - it's good info to have! In fact, I was using
a 6" hole saw at Habitat a couple of weeks ago & it was pretty dull. I
think I'll have a shot at sharpening it.

What about the tooth "set"? Every time you sharpen a saw it loses some
set, until it needs to be re-set. That's probably not possible with a
hole saw?

Sure it is, Bob. In case you don't have a saw set, here ya go:
http://fwd4.me/5Kh Unless it's bid up (infrequent any more) you'll
get it for $6.75, delivered.

Hey, that's less than LVT's shipping! snort

Doesn't work on HSS hole saws. The teeth just break off. I've tried
it in the past without luck. You can usually get several light
sharpening on the original set but eventually you have to give up.

How do you sharpen your tools? errfrsdaf Woodturning 14 November 26th 08 03:51 PM
How to sharpen Gouge buck Woodturning 13 February 20th 05 09:14 PM
How do you sharpen a drawknife? GBsCards Woodworking 5 January 27th 04 02:58 PM
THEY EVEN SHARPEN HOLE SAWS T. Woodworking 1 November 27th 03 12:52 PM
QUESTION - HOW DO YOU SHARPEN A HOLE SAW? T. Woodworking 17 November 25th 03 11:25 PM